The leafs should _____ offseason thread

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Maybe. But I don't think this is anything more than a marginal consideration generally speaking.

The continent is open to him, and all these players are accustomed to applying their craft all over it throughout the season no matter which side of the border they are playing on.

A lot of former players have said that they preferred playing in America. It's a much bigger market with many more things you can do with your money. It's hard for Canada to compete as a country with America which is why there's only one Canadian city with a major sports team outside of hockey.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
I find it weird now that alot of focus is on Presidents now and not GMs
Hockey teams used to not really have Presidents before. GMs were also in charge of the roles a President of Hockey Ops would have back in the day. As the game has grown these hockey orgs have gotten larger and as such the role requires two guys now. President is basically "super GM", IMO

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
A lot of former players have said that they preferred playing in America. It's a much bigger market with many more things you can do with your money. It's hard for Canada to compete as a country with America which is why there's only one Canadian city with a major sports team outside of hockey.

Guys settle all over the place in the states though, and it's more to do with their lifestyle more than anything.... places where others may consider "boring".

I agree with you about players generally preferring to reside in the US. I just think you are hitting the wrong notes as to why.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
I like how Leafs fans keep talking about coaches like Brind'Amour and Berube...

... Meanwhile the organization is so soft that Keefe couldn't even call out "Our star players didn't play like star players" without being made to apologize. If they can't handle Keefe saying that, they're gonna hate Brind'Amour and Berube.

Kyrou pouted until St. Louis fired Berube, and then literally cried when fans shit on him for it.

Reactions: zeeto and SoupNazi

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Enough with the McDavid stuff. You know better - or at least, the one of you who timestamps a whining diatribe to the support staff within five minutes of getting a bug in your ass about literally anything on this site.

You of all people know better, and you damn well know what trolling is. Cease and desist.

DVision44

Nov 30, 2017
Yes, there are a ton of rich people raising minature cows in Montana or living out of a cabana in Cabo. People just don’t hear about them because they’re not out there doing evil shit to afford their second yacht.
Their money is making money... the benefits of being rich

Reactions: DaveG

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Heard this rumour on TSN. Wasn’t surprised, it’s totally up Torontos alley to try to steal success away from other franchises. But could TSN atleast wait until the Canes are done to start throwing this out there? Classless.
Let me guess Jeff O'Neill was part of the discussion

Imagine being a Leafs fan and calling the Canes cheap when they literally bought the Seth Jarvis draft pick from the Leafs for $6m

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Both the Canes organization and Rod have stated that they're comfortable about him re-signing and aren't worried about the timing.

There's a better chance of Brind'Amour coaching kids and serving as a special advisor to the Canes than there is of him coaching the Leafs (or any other team, for that matter). He's embedded in the community and as mentioned, has publicly stated that he can't imagine coaching anywhere else but Carolina. He's also stated that coaching can't be good for one's health, and given that he's a fitness maniac, I wonder if he'll coach at the pro level at all after his next contract.

No offense to the OP, but this thread really shouldn't have made it past the first page, imo.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Brind A'mour is exactly the hard nosed coach that the Leafs need. Not sure Rod would want to be in the constant spotlight though in Toronto.
I was never one to give coaches too much or too little credit when it came to teams performance, that all changed after Tochett took over.

For me it's not about systems Per se but more of the culture he's instilled and everything that goes along with it. This team has no egos, no drama and have 100% bought into his and his staffs blue collar team first mentality.

I think the leafs need a coaching change but I'm skeptical that their players have the fortitude to and attitude to change all that much.
Look how they turned babs. Marner especially but it's worth a shot. Berube would be another good hire.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Canes obviously had to bump up the offer. I don't know how Brind'Amour saved his money but one of the things separating him from another coach is that he's made a lot more money already from a long NHL career. I don't know if this will come down to best offer vs pay me what I feel I'm worth and let's get this deal done already. I feel it's more about respect than the overpayment.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
He’d be stupid to leave Carolina for Toronto. If anything just using the possibility to get better terms for himself. Seems like Berube is already the guy, like with Treliving there will be no real search or interviews. MLSE has their guy before the guillotine swings.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I feel bad that they have Scott Keith Pelley running things now at MLSE.

He absolutely tanked the European Tour and somehow failed upwards to his dream job.

Would not trust that guy to make good decisions.

Reactions: TB12

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad