Confirmed with Link: Leafs acquire Pickard

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
Sparks isn't going to like it, how does a team let a guy go through waivers and then pay a draft pick and a prospect the next day.
Sparks isn’t in a position to like or dislike anything, he can play his way into contention for a top 4 in the organization or he can go into the minor league goaltender matrix. He hasn’t done enough to nail down a comfortable position.

Reactions: Kurtz

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

The Pickard trade hints at more to come. While it’s believed the Leafs were only willing to complete the transaction after the 25-year-old cleared waivers – giving them the ability to send him directly to the AHL Marlies – he doesn’t look like a candidate to stay in the minors for long.

Not only is Pickard nine years younger than McElhinney, he’s already had two seasons as a NHL backup that were statistically stronger than anything the 34-year-old has previously managed during his career.

It would be unwise to write him off as a No. 3 following a short stay with the Golden Knights and a difficult stretch playing behind an historically inept Colorado Avalanche team last season. Between that, he won a silver medal as the goalie of record for Canada at the IIHF World Hockey Championship in May.

A career .914 save percentage in 86 appearances certainly suggests that Pickard is a viable NHL option behind Frederik Andersen.

McElhinney made some big starts down the stretch for the Leafs in 2016-17, including the win over Pittsburgh that secured a playoff berth on the final weekend of the season, and signed a $1.7-million, two-year extension on July 1.

Now McElhinney is facing the possibility of being bumped from a NHL job without even playing a meaningful game since the ink dried.

EXPECT THE LEAFS

May 7, 2016
As a starter I would agree but as a backup? Not so sure. 2 different things starter vs backup. Some starters couldn't do the Backup gig mentally don't know enough about Pickard at this point to say either or. Reimer sucked as backup big time but as a starter he was passable even really good at times as Leaf just as an example.

Pickard is definitely better than what is on the Marlies and the only reason why this trade happens is because he cleared wavers so they could keep him as injury depth in case of injury. They didn't trade for him to replace McBackup

Reimer was way too chaotic in net to be considered a legit starter. Even when he was good it wasn't a finesse game he employed.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
Sparks isn't going to like it, how does a team let a guy go through waivers and then pay a draft pick and a prospect the next day.
Easy. Because a roster spot is more valuable than a prospect like Lindberg and a sixth rounder.

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
The Marlies used 6 goalies last season & Sparks only played 31 games.Bibeau wasn't the answer with 3.08gaa & a 89.4 SV %
Great depth move even if he stays in the AHL for a while.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Absolutely 100% love this move. Gives our organization much needed goaltending depth. Also pushes Mcelhienny to perform better for his starts, as Calvin Pickard will be chomping at the bit in the A, hoping to take his spot. Gives us that much needed insurance in that position if Andersen gets hurt or if Mcelhienny does not perform. We did all of this for close to nothing. Good job Leafs Brass!

Brownbeard

Oct 6, 2017
I was hoping we'd pick him up on waivers, and am happy that we got him this way at the end of the day. The Leafs were lacking in goaltending depth (and could still use some more) so this is a helpful move. They brought in a goalie who struggled on a bad team, but was good in the World Championship and could end up being better than McBackup while also being younger.

At the very least, he provides depth.

Reactions: carko32

blueberrie

Mar 23, 2010
Can’t win if you don’t buy a ticket ;)

Brown didn't make an NHL impact until last year. Are you really upset with losing the probability of a Brown level player (absolute best case scenario) who likely won't make an NHL impact until 2021?

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017
Brown didn't make an NHL impact until last year. Are you really upset with losing the probability of a Brown level player (absolute best case scenario) who likely won't make an NHL impact until 2021?

Not in the slightest, read what I quoted... Why so serious?

I’ve said like 3 times in other threads how much I like this trade, sorry you can’t see my winky face?

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
Liking almost every move this regime makes, unlike the Burke/Nonis years in which I hated almost every move they made.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
I have been saying for months if they truly wanted Mcbackup they wouldn't have gone after anyone else in the off season I told I was wrong I waas told I didn't know what I was talking about.

Today I was proven right if they truly wanted Mcbackup they wouldn't have made this trade

If they wanted Pickard instead of McBackup they would have claimed Pickard on waivers.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Perhaps they do but just prefer the contract dump and added flexibility of the trade route?

Yea could be. If Leafs do want Pickard over McElhinney, I guess this trade was really:

6th + Lindberg for Pickard + the risk of losing a back-up for nothing to waivers

That said, I still think this is a depth and internal competition move and not so much a "we want Pickard over McElhinney" move.

Reactions: canadon

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Pickard is a NHL goalie while Lindberg likely never makes an impact in the NHL. Seems like a good trade to me

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Really like this move. Get a solid young-ish backup goalie for a 6th and not lose a contract spot? Great deal.

Keon1963

Sep 27, 2017
Basically we got Pickard for a 6th round pick. Fantastic move. Lou is a boss. Lou has connections in Vegas; "I gotta trade yu can't refuse."

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Tobias Lindberg is a solid player. Just no chance with us.

He should possibly get NHL time at some point with Vegas though.

That said... Andersen, McBackup, Pickard, Sparks. Our goalie depth isn't really an issue anymore

It was good trade for us. We needed more insurance in nets in case Andersen went down.

Some will crap on Lindberg, but he may be able to do something in LVGK organization.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad