Confirmed with Link: Leafs acquire Pickard

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Lindberg didn't have a hope in hell making this team. He is a 3rd liner and that's about it, we have a lot of would be 3rd liners. It was a no brainer move in our situation. Our management are masters at bargain hunting. It will be very interesting to see what they do with JVR and Bozak.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
It was good trade for us. We needed more insurance in nets in case Andersen went down.

Some will crap on Lindberg, but he may be able to do something in LVGK organization.

Mhmm. Lindberg did look decent in his 6 or 7 games he played with us at the NHL level.

However, unless you are a prospect at the level of a Kapanen, if you get traded to a new team, you need to make yourself stand out. Right or Wrong, but drafted prospects always get more benefit of the doubt than prospects traded for.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Pickard 11 games
Mcelhinney 11 games
Andersen 60 games
It will be interesting to see how many games Freddie plays if he's healthy. Babcock said Andersen had an amazing off season and praised the condition he camo to camp in.
65-70 games might be in the cards if he's healthy.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
I slept so much better and peaceful last night knowing we now have Pickard in case of the unthinkable happens and Freddy goes down for any length of time.

Agreed, in terms of impact this could be one of the most significant moves we make all season if the unthinkable happens and Andersen goes down for a period of time. I think we have a good one in Pickard, and he could be the perfect bridge further down the line between Andersen and Woll. Despite last season on a historically bad Avs team, Pickard has shown great promise, and the fact that he rebounded after the season with the Avs and played well for Canada in the World Championships is very encouraging.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
It will be interesting to see how many games Freddie plays if he's healthy. Babcock said Andersen had an amazing off season and praised the condition he camo to camp in.
65-70 games might be in the cards if he's healthy.

In the Salary Cap Era only 2 teams have had their starters play over 60 games and win his team a cup (Quick in 2012 and Fleury in 2009). No sense in wearing Andersen out in the regular season.

Last edited:

RealRockNRolla

Oct 5, 2017
Pickard's numbers look solid bar last season on an absolutely dreadful Avalanche team. New surroundings, the best coach in the game and a defensive system that works could see him thrive here when he's given the chance.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Its been 6 years (Quick in 2012) since a goalie was able to play over 60 games and win his team a cup. No sense in wearing Andersen out in the regular season.
I agree but if he handles it well I think Babcock will ride him.
Last year Freddie looked pretty sharp in the playoffs. Only one series I know but he played 66 (?) games last year?

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Trying not to be tooo happy with this move.
Fantastic buy low move on a goalie that (situationally) has just as good of track record as the guys moved recently for 1st round picks at similar ages (Jones and Lehner)

If we made this exact trade 1 year ago, it would've been a ridiculous steal. His number were projecting to be an above average starter, and was having no trouble backing a garbage team (I really wanted him instead of Andersen at the time).

Last season he was hung out to dry, but he was also equally as bad as the rest of the team. I think he's got the ability to bounce back, and he's definitely got more upside and value than McBackup. There is literally 0 downside, so I don't know why anyone is complaining.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Pickard killed two birds with one stone. Insurance for the leafs and assurance for the Marlies who now have the kind of team that wins Championships.

Who could not like what we did?

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Great trade, wishing Tobias L well. I think he'll have a better chance in LV. Offers Toronto a possible advantage down the road if a team like the Ducks loses Gibson to injury. An offer around McB/Pickard + + for 'pick your RD' might be attractive to them if they're not comfortable moving forward with a tandem of Miller and Berra. Until then, nice insurance.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
I assume they just wanted the flexibility, and wanted to see how McBackup will do.

Exactly, I think they felt there was no real competition for the #2 slot and wanted to make sure there was an option if McBackup is terrible this year, which is a strong possibility. If he does well then Pickard will have to wait in the minors for his shot due to injury. The Marlies won't complain, they're absolutely going on a Calder run for sure now.

Goaltending was the only real weakness this team had, and that is no more. Sure everyone talks about the Defense and while it's nowhere near the level of Calgary, Nashville, Carolina and Columbus, it's pretty decent with a lot of depth. Goaltending was the only thing that could potentially sink our season, not anymore.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The Phaneuf trade.

The Toronto Maple Leafs traded veteran defenceman and captain Dion Phaneuf to the Ottawa Senators on Tuesday in a nine-player deal.

Along with Phaneuf, the Leafs send forwards Matt Frattin, Casey Bailey, Ryan Rupert and defence prospect Cody Donaghey to the Senators in exchange for defenceman Jared Cowen, forwards Colin Greening, Milan Michalek and Tobias Lindberg as well as Ottawa’s second-round pick in the 2017 NHL Draft.

Now with Tobias Lindberg dealt for Pickard, and Ottawa's 2nd (Eemeli Rasanen) and Colin Greening are the remains of the Phaneuf deal.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
If we made this exact trade 1 year ago, it would've been a ridiculous steal. His number were projecting to be an above average starter, and was having no trouble backing a garbage team (I really wanted him instead of Andersen at the time).

Last season he was hung out to dry, but he was also equally as bad as the rest of the team. I think he's got the ability to bounce back, and he's definitely got more upside and value than McBackup. There is literally 0 downside, so I don't know why anyone is complaining.

Even with last season included seems like a steal, his sv% was right in around that of Jones and Lehner. I honestly don't think people would have been shocked if he got a 2nd+ at this past draft.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
The Phaneuf trade.

Now with Tobias Lindberg dealt for Pickard, and Ottawa's 2nd (Eemeli Rasanen) and Colin Greening are the remains of the Phaneuf deal.

And cap space, with which we signed Marleau. Beyond Marleau, will allow us to keep all of Matthews, Marner and Nylander.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Even with last season included seems like a steal, his sv% was right in around that of Jones and Lehner. I honestly don't think people would have been shocked if he got a 2nd+ at this past draft.

Agreed. And that's saying something seeing how he had the second worst season for goalies in the past 3 years (over 2000 minutes played). Only one worse was Ben Scrivens haha.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Why did the Leafs pass on waivers to get Pickard and give up prospects instead, in order to dump a contract? Otherwise doesn’t make sense.

Vegas must of thought Subban was better than Pickard as a backup, ortherwise would of kept him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad