Post-Game Talk: Leafs 5, Pens 2 - Ref Off

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Pretty awesome watching josh play for such an amazing organization. Star struck forsure.

Thought he played a good game. Had a lot of energy almost scored off the nice rush.

Hopefully pit can win today

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
At work, so missed most of the game. Im assuming Sheahan was on Brassards wing and not vice versa? As much as I want to roll four lines, if were stuck with Kuhn and Rowney for the time being along with Jooris (who by accounts here was ok?), then load up the top 9.

And not too surprised at a goalie interference call going haywire anymore. Havent seen it yet but Ive given up trying to understand those.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
As bad as NHL refs can sometimes be I do still think they're better than MLB/NBA/NFL refs. So there's that.

Can't speak for other leagues as I despise baseball and basketball, but the NFL can't even figure out what a damn catch is.

Apparently the ground can literally kill you in the NFL, and if you don't survive it, you don't get credit for a catch. Or something like that. No one really knows.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Brassard is far too talented to worry about.

The hype he was getting on this forum was completely over the top. I'm not surprised that folks have been disappointed given the forum's obsession with the guy.

I was pumped about it too, but some were ready to give Jarry/1st/Sprong.

I think we're missing Ian Cole more than we needed Brassard. As weird as that sounds. The defense has been awful. Completely terrible since the deadline.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I think we're missing Ian Cole more than we needed Brassard. As weird as that sounds. The defense has been awful. Completely terrible since the deadline.

I have faith in Brassard and am pretty confident he can be a big factor in the team's success. But... yeah... difficult to deny. I've actually been a bit concerned over this team's defensive corps most of this season. So I was pretty let down that the TDL ended without any movement, there. Though I truly do think they tried but couldn't get anyone to play ball.

And yeah... I had to raise an eyebrow a bit over how much people were freely willing for the team to give up to make it happen. The whole three line attack thing is great and everything. It has certainly led to some pretty impressive results. But I sometimes wonder if people get a little too stuck in a one-track mindset on how things MUST be to succeed.

So far... not exactly looking like a resounding success.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
The hype he was getting on this forum was completely over the top. I'm not surprised that folks have been disappointed given the forum's obsession with the guy.

No, it wasn't.

Brassard averages 55 points per 82 over the last 4 seasons, which is better than any 3C we've had in the Crosby era. He's also one of the 10 most productive players in the playoffs over the last 5 years...he didn't get the name "Big Game Brass" for nothing.

The Pens have looked like they're herding cats on defense since Cole's departure, and Brass hasn't looked comfortable here yet. But saying Brassard wasn't worth the hype after 6 games of trying to adapt to an entirely new system is a steaming hot take. Let's see how we fare when Brass has gotten acclimated and Murray comes back to some stability to the back end. Our struggling back-ups have really compounded the defense issue.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
No, it wasn't.

Brassard averages 55 points per 82 over the last 4 seasons, which is better than any 3C we've had in the Crosby era. He's also one of the 10 most productive players in the playoffs over the last 5 years...he didn't get the name "Big Game Brass" for nothing.

The Pens have looked like they're herding cats on defense since Cole's departure, and Brass hasn't looked comfortable here yet. But saying Brassard wasn't worth the hype after 6 games of trying to adapt to an entirely new system is a steaming hot take. Let's see how we fare when Brass has gotten acclimated and Murray comes back to some stability to the back end. Our struggling back-ups have really compounded the defense issue.
Our D has looked like its herding cats for all but maybe 20 games tops this year. Its definitely been an issue, and would have liked the unit addressed differently both last offseason and at the TDL. That being said, I think its less a defensive personnel issue and more an issue of that personnel not playing up to their level as well as dismal forward defensive ability.

The optimist in me says that in the playoffs, the forwards will start being more involved in their own end and Murray comes back. Plus once the forwards get healthy and start to click, better possession will help more than anything, along with the fact that we are loaded with puck movers on D and arent going to be relying on Hainsey icing the puck thirteen times in a row to clear the zone.

The pessimist in me says we havent seen a lot of domination from our expensive blue line in a while, and were one injury away from seeing Hunwick play significant minutes.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
It was a bad call, but it was a 3-0 game at the time, its hard for me to get upset about it because it most likely wouldn't of changed the result.

I can understand a ref missing that call because the game is so fast.

Its a lot worse when the refs actually get to see the replay and still miss the call.

Dey so soff*

Feb 17, 2017
I'm trying to stay out of discussion tonight because I want to rant about that call for about 40 straight days. It's embarrassing, at times, to be a fan of this sport. It's embarrassing that stuff like that actually happens.

Easiest thing to do: Call it a goal and review it. Then the idiot doesn't change the game with his narcissism and need to make it about himself.
Yes!

I’ve advocated for this in ALL sports leagues!

Let the play go and see what happens and IF there is a question afterwards, you have the ability to review it!!!

Reactions: ColePens

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Not only was the Dumo call pure bullshit, so was the penalty on Oleksiak for interference after he broke his stick. Both led to PP goals.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Hopefully sooner then that, maybe this week.

I’d like them to be more cautious than anything. Players come back too soon can make things worse. As a general rule about 2 weeks should really be the minimum.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I’d like them to be more cautious than anything. Players come back too soon can make things worse. As a general rule about 2 weeks should really be the minimum.

Concussions are all different.

Sid was back in 3 or 4 days last year in the playoffs.

Dumoulin had one earlier this year where he only missed a few days.

Murray's looks like its going to be a long term one.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

No team misses Ian Cole.

Brassard could suck all year and it would still be the right move because we moved two UFAs and picks for a top six center that we have under contract for next year.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

Yeah they are all different. I think a few days off is a bad move, it’s too short.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

I think they're being cautious with Murray seeing how our entire PO chances rest on him playing well and being healthy.... with the way we give up point blank shots at our goalies

I expect him to play in one of the b2bs next week though

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
No team misses Ian Cole.

Brassard could suck all year and it would still be the right move because we moved two UFAs and picks for a top six center that we have under contract for next year.

A team that is loaded on offense and average (at best) on defense needs a solid defensman more than another scoring threat (or an 'offensive defenseman; Hunwick over Cole). This isn't NHL17 on xbox.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
A team that is loaded on offense and average (at best) on defense needs a solid defensman more than another scoring threat (or an 'offensive defenseman; Hunwick over Cole). This isn't NHL17 on xbox.

It still amazes me how some fans are just totally clueless about the fact that our defensive personnel and structure are all based on that exact reality--that offense is our strength and the best defense is a mobile one that can get to puck and get them out to our forwards. Having a "stay at home" D is not what's going to help this team play "defense"

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
It was a bad call, but it was a 3-0 game at the time, its hard for me to get upset about it because it most likely wouldn't of changed the result.

I can understand a ref missing that call because the game is so fast.

Its a lot worse when the refs actually get to see the replay and still miss the call.

I'm fine with the call and get the big picture that these types of bad calls mostly even out over the course of a season.

However, people keep trying to act like the call wouldn't have changed the game anyway, but that's a huge stretch...

Dumo's goal would have made it 3-1... no PP for the Leafs to make it 4-0.

Two mins left, go into the third down 3-1 more likely than not. Pens scored two in the third.

Very likely would have been a tie game.

I guess you can argue the Leafs would have maybe sat back less in the third with a two goal lead, but that's about the only slightly legit argument I can see.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Hopefully sooner then that, maybe this week.
I hope Rust sits for the rest of the month if were still in a playoff spot. Same with Murray. Why risk them coming back too soon if were in the playoffs. Give them 2-3 games before the playoffs start to get back into the speed of things and go from there.

Reactions: Tom Hanks
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->