Post-Game Talk: Leafs 5, Pens 2 - Ref Off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
They really need someone like ZAR, Hagelin or rust on the other wing with those two. Sheahan is the closest they have right now but he’s a centre.

Other than that, I’ll worry about him if he’s still struggling in the playoffs and at that point you try Sheahan back with Kessel or move other pieces around.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they were full of piss and vinegar tomorrow.

Not sure if Jooris is able to play the left side but he’s a guy who might be worth playing that role and Sheahan goes back to L4 and hope someone comes back soon so Rowney ****’s off.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
They need to just put Brassard as 3C and Sheahan at 4C unconditionally.

Sheahan is iffy on wing. Let Brassard and Kessel gain some familiarity over the next 12 games.

Have Sheahan drive line 4 with Sheary, Simon, ZAR or Rust.

If we're ever healthy..lol.

ZAR-Crosby-Simon/Sheary
HGH
Guentzel-Brassard-Kessel
Sheary/Simon- Sheahan-Rust

Sid probably won’t like that combo. Simon is pretty skilled but inconsistent, Sheary is struggling and ZAR isn’t going to be someone to pass back and forth. I don’t think Simon will be in when healthy. Kuhnhackl will probably play over him.

Another option with really good balance is:

Guentzel-Crosby-Hornqvist
Hagelin-Malkin-Rust
ZAR-Brassard-Kessel
Sheary-Sheahan-Kuhnhackl

We won’t ever get perfection on our lines but L1, L2 & L4 have worked pretty good. ZAR on L3 is the unknown.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Take away that PP goal for the leafs and givr Dumo his goal...We're in OT.

See, I hate that "logic." The entire game is different if the score is 3-1 vs 4-0, and that includes the late 2 goals TOR gave up when they weren't doing much because they were up 4-0. We could have come back, or we might not, but you can't say the game would've been tied or gone to OT...

Reactions: weems

Spoonman32

Jun 22, 2011
I'm not worried yet but Brassard needs to get on track...

Get Phil back with Malkin for now, for heaven's sake.

I agree. I actually think this was one of his better games, but overall, so far so meh. I'm not worried yet either, but he needs to start moving his feet more to play in this system.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The 4th line was horse shit. I can't believe I asked someone at a restaurant to change the channel to this, the only good thing is that it stopped me from over eating my big ass meal.

Also, Kadri just pisses me off. It's too bad Oleksiak picked tonight to play the worst game of his career up to now.

Also to answer the "who's idea for a 4th line..." comment.

Why the f*** would you move Sheahan to LW and not keep him at C? If only WE HAD SOME f***ING TALENTED WINGERS IN THE AHL OR SOMETHING, YOU KNOW, LIKE WE DO AND STUFF....

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Really over the Dumo call cuz it was a bad judgement call just like a phantom high stick. Some will say it's not but it is. These refs make bad judgement calls on fast plays every night.
Morton was convinced Dumo could've done something more to avoid Andersen.
Is what it is.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Really over the Dumo call cuz it was a bad judgement call just like a phantom high stick. Some will say it's not but it is. These refs make bad judgement calls on fast plays every night.
Morton was convinced Dumo could've done something more to avoid Andersen.
Is what it is.

It's not even that, the call made it so the Pens couldn't even challenge it, that's the part that really chaps my ass.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I don't even know what's goalie interference at this point. Apparently you shouldn't drive the net to score goals, because you'll just have it called back if you happen to breath on the goalie.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
FWIW the goaltender interference thing seems to be a big problem league-wide, especially this year.

Though, I mean... lets just kinda cut the pretense and go with "NHL reffing is a big problem. Full stop."

If the refs are having this much trouble with understanding what is and isn't goalie interference -- and judging by the sheer number of questionable calls we've seen this year -- then they shouldn't be the ones making the final call.

Just send all calls to Toronto. At least whatever the call will be consistent since it'll be the interpretation of one single person, rather than a bunch of different officials whose abilities to officiate range from poor to meh.

Reactions: Treent1

Spoonman32

Jun 22, 2011
Brassard is far too talented to worry about.

I don't doubt his talent. However, the best talent isn't necessarily always the best fit. He's got time but he's got to prove he can play in this system.

Like I said, I'm not worried yet. It's still to early but let's stop making excuses for him like who the coach puts out with him. He's been a step short and a second late on most plays.

Last edited:

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Yeah. But he has every right to be pissed. I'm still angry. We got jobbed on that call hard, two ways.

At this point I can't get annoyed with a player yelling at a ref. Even questionable penalties to take, it's a gamble on if it'll get called and they might call a phantom penalty on you later anyway. Do whatever, this is what happens when people are brutally incompetent.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
At this point I can't get annoyed with a player yelling at a ref. Even questionable penalties to take, it's a gamble on if it'll get called and they might call a phantom penalty on you later anyway. Do whatever, this is what happens when people are brutally incompetent.

Them calling it interference and negating the option to call a review is what gets me. Sullivan wasn't even able to give the refs a 2nd look and how many times have we seen refs over turn a call after seeing the replay themselves?

The refs f***ed us.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I’d like to say I’ll get over it but it’s such a cumulative problem in the nhl.

Yeah and the problem being consistency. It should be clear enough what goaltender interference is.

What was called goalie interference in tonight's game is clearly not interference. For one, Hainsey pushed Dumoulin into Andersen, when the contact was made, it was grazing at best.

1. Establish a clear outline for what goalie interference is.
2. Allow it to be challenged as the game is fast, things can get missed.
3. Penalize goalies that dive.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada

Never will happen. I 100% agree goalies need to be protected so that players dont take liberties on them, but they will only give out an unsportsmanlike or diving penalty when its outrageously bad. I still dont get why that play couldnt be coaches challenged, that seems like a pretty easy fix. Any goal/non goal that happens with goalie interference, regardless if there is a penalty on the play, should be reviewable.

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
Yeah and the problem being consistency. It should be clear enough what goaltender interference is.

What was called goalie interference in tonight's game is clearly not interference. For one, Hainsey pushed Dumoulin into Andersen, when the contact was made, it was grazing at best.

1. Establish a clear outline for what goalie interference is.
2. Allow it to be challenged as the game is fast, things can get missed.
4) penalise players who push others into their goalie.

Reactions: vabm8 and NMK11

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
Vegas is going to trick them into thinking they've figured out this expansion stuff and it’ll blow up spectacularly.

God. The ****ers on TV and I include the local guys in that. You want to talk problems and where they might stem from? That garbage and of course it hurts new gans’ interest in the sport when you have some delusional moron prattling on about how awesome trying to concuss someone is. The “fighting is a part of hockey” thing is also a joke, it’s literally against the rules and has somehow become sacred to the knuckle draggers in charge. Honestly, Don Cherry dying will be good for it on tv in Canada.

It’s such and exciting and beautiful sport the league ruins with the punchy punchy culture, terrible refs and barbaric levels the players are allowed to reach.

I hope the warrior culture praising dies, too. They’ve taken it too far and the new slobber over the players doing it.

WTF are you on about? Fights are rare nowadays. Bench clearing brawls stopped about 25 years ago. The major cheap shots are largely gone. And when 220lb guys are flying around the ice on skates, carrying weapons, guys are going to get hurt. That's why they make millions of dollars a year.

You guys sound like the football 'fans' that want to eliminate tackling. And yet you honestly wonder why nobody's watching the sport? lol

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
I've calmed down over the call, but it's still maddening. Goaltender interference is an absolute farce at this point. Dumo's goal could have singled a comeback, but that's getting ahead of ourselves. The team didn't defend or execute well enough to get two points.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Did Brassard look any better? I have been really disappointed by him thus far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad