Prospect Info: Leafs 2018 4th Rd Draft Pick (#118 OA) - Mac Hollowell (5'9", 170, D, Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds)

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Another over ager that we could have for free in a couple months.. 5'9. Thoroughly unimpressed with Dubas with this draft.

Maple Leafs Sign Mac Hollowell to Future Entry-Level Contract

by Staff Writer MapleLeafs / MapleLeafs.com
March 7th, 2019
cut.png

The Toronto Maple Leafs announced today that the club has signed defenceman Mac Hollowell to a three-year future entry-level contract.
Hollowell, 20, currently leads all Ontario Hockey League defencemen in goals (23) and points (72) with the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds. In 254 regular season games over five OHL seasons with the Greyhounds, the Niagara Falls, Ontario native has collected 178 points (41 goals, 137 assists) while recording 23 points (three goals, 20 assists) in 47 playoff games.
Hollowell was selected by the Maple Leafs in the fourth round (118th overall) of the 2018 NHL Draft

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Not a Leafs fan, but I am down here in Dallas doing some draft related activities (some call it "work", but that has a negative connotation), and I could not be more thrilled for this pick. Hollowell is very small, but he is one of the best skaters in the entire draft class, smart, skilled and plays a pretty mature game all things considered.

My write up on him, for whatever it's worth...

2. Mac Hollowell (Soo [OHL] #11, RHS, RD/LD) - Remarkably mobile, offensive-minded defenseman. Hollowell has one of the finest skating bases in his age group. He can motor around the rink forwards, backwards, laterally, any way you want it and he can beat virtually anyone to any spot. Has a penchant for escapability and swinging his net and just leaving forecheckers in his wake. Has a terrific skill set and can make guys miss with the combo of his speed, edges and stick work. He isn't just a reckless offensive d-man either, he is actually very smart in all facets. He has high-end hockey IQ and exhibits that at all times. Defensively he is well positioned, but can be over-matched size wise. Even in his jersey, it looks like he's wearing his father's suit. He avoids taking big hits because it's like nailing Jell-o to a tree trying to track him down. He has elite skating and elite hockey IQ and plenty of skill, that makes him a player regardless of his size.

Hockey Sense: A
Skating speed/power/acc: A+
Skating lateral/edges/agility: A+
Vision: A
Puck skills: A-
Shot: B-
Defense technique: B
Defense urgency: C
Frame/size: F
Ceiling/Risk: V.High/med (2nd rd)

Now, I may be the biggest Hollowell (and Joey Keane, for that matter) pimp in Dallas, but there are a few followers that I talked to. There are also a number of teams that had him as ND because of his size. Even a couple OHL GMs I talked to were a little taken aback that I had him as my #2 d-man in the O. One analytics guy I talked to (real analytics, not corsi stuff) graded him very highly.

Also, unrelated, I was staying in the same hotel as Rasmus Sandin (who I am a big fan of as well...very smart player), I talked to him a couple times since he was selected...he couldn't be more thrilled to be a Maple Leaf. He won't take that Leafs hat off, it's been glued to his head since he got it on stage haha

Sandin is my #3 d-man in the OHL for the record. I thought both OHL d-men were great value picks...

Well, you’ve been proven right so far, on both Hollowell and Sandin.

Perhaps a potential second pairing brewing

HomerJLeafs

i just hope we make the POs
Dec 27, 2017
Again not a player for Babcock. The Leafs gonna need a new coach for all these skilled fast small guys.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Again not a player for Babcock. The Leafs gonna need a new coach for all these skilled fast small guys.
Or Dubas just shapes the roster to give him no choice. Would love to get Cooper though if Tampa bows out in the 3rd round again and they decide to move on.

He actually stacks his top 2 lines with his most talented players.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Or Dubas just shapes the roster to give him no choice. Would love to get Cooper though if Tampa bows out in the 3rd round again and they decide to move on.

He actually stacks his top 2 lines with his most talented players.
I don't know if that's possible. Shaping the roster that way, I mean. I mean, we have put a forward lineup with eight guys who are good to elite at carrying the puck into the offensive zone. We're still one of the most dump-dependent teams in the league.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I don't know if that's possible. Shaping the roster that way, I mean. I mean, we have put a forward lineup with eight guys who are good to elite at carrying the puck into the offensive zone. We're still one of the most dump-dependent teams in the league.

You could in theory make 3 ridiculously skilled lines and then one checking line if you wanted too.

Johnsson-Tavares-Marner
Moore-Matthews-Nylander
Petan/Ennis-Kadri-Kapanen

then:

Hyman-Goat/Marleau-Brown/Marleau (heavy PK minutes/checking line)
extra: Ennis/Petan

Babcock would never do it though because why dominate possession and score a tonne of goals when you can have a gud pro on every line.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron

Maybe if the Leafs lose in round one, the genius behind the Leaf bench won't be there come September. Of course Babcock will still be Leaf coach, but maybe he shouldn't be.

Hollowell. Maybe he becomes a Marner/Bracco forward and a point guy on the PP.

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
You could in theory make 3 ridiculously skilled lines and then one checking line if you wanted too.

Johnsson-Tavares-Marner
Moore-Matthews-Nylander
Petan/Ennis-Kadri-Kapanen

then:

Hyman-Goat/Marleau-Brown/Marleau (heavy PK minutes/checking line)
extra: Ennis/Petan

Babcock would never do it though because why dominate possession and score a tonne of goals when you can have a gud pro on every line.
I don't know how you take Hyman off the Tavares line right now to be honest, but agree with AM and WN getting back together. WN and kappy had good chemistry in the past so Id like to see him on the RW rather than Andreas. More deserves an audition though.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I don't know how you take Hyman off the Tavares line right now to be honest, but agree with AM and WN getting back together. WN and kappy had good chemistry in the past so Id like to see him on the RW rather than Andreas. More deserves an audition though.
IMO Johnsson-Tavares-Marner was a much better like while Hyman was out. But that line is hot right now so I get it.

Reactions: TML Dynasty

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I asked on the Hounds boards about Hollowell's defensive play, also if the point totals are inflated because he is an overager.
Response

He is a good player, not just cause he’s an OA. Hollowell obviously thrives offensively and is comfortable when he has the puck.
Defensively; he can skate with just about anyone and generally has pretty good positioning. He makes a very smart breakout with his legs and can make a nice first pass to the neutral zone. He isn’t afraid to wait or to go depending on the best for the situation. He’s also pretty good defensively with his stick, getting in passing lanes and poking pucks along the boards.

His downfall; physicality. He’s small. He has a hard time boxing out opponents or knocking forecheckers off the puck. He does try, and can have success against smaller guys, but it’s a work in progress for him physically. Hounds fans should have noticed a significant positive change in that regard over the past few seasons.
Also, it’s not that he plays with an edge or takes bad penalties but he does take that unnecessary one or unecessary shot a someone every now and then. He does a fantastic job at concealing it and not getting called though.

If Toronto can work on his physical game with him I don’t think he’ll have trouble with speed or complexity of the game. Realistically he could end up a 3rd pair RD or 7th D in the NHL down the road depending on his development in the ECHL/AHL.

KeziaTML

Apr 29, 2010
Calgary, AB
Maple Leafs Sign Mac Hollowell to Future Entry-Level Contract

by Staff Writer MapleLeafs / MapleLeafs.com
March 7th, 2019
cut.png

The Toronto Maple Leafs announced today that the club has signed defenceman Mac Hollowell to a three-year future entry-level contract.
Hollowell, 20, currently leads all Ontario Hockey League defencemen in goals (23) and points (72) with the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds. In 254 regular season games over five OHL seasons with the Greyhounds, the Niagara Falls, Ontario native has collected 178 points (41 goals, 137 assists) while recording 23 points (three goals, 20 assists) in 47 playoff games.
Hollowell was selected by the Maple Leafs in the fourth round (118th overall) of the 2018 NHL Draft

Not sure what you are trying to prove by quoting me on this. We could have still got him for free and not spent a draft pick on him. Those numbers aren't impressive for an over age dman and he is still small.

Ryan Merkley is 2 years younger and put up 6 points less.
Evan Bouchard led the league last year in his draft year with 87 points.

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
Not sure what you are trying to prove by quoting me on this. We could have still got him for free and not spent a draft pick on him. Those numbers aren't impressive for an over age dman and he is still small.

Or he could have gone in the very next pick after we passed on him. This is baseless speculation.

I don't care to read too much into point totals of defenseman in different situations and asked to do different things. We always knew that Hollowell could produce given the opportunity. Whether he makes it to the NHL or not is going to depend on his ability to not be a liability at the other end especially as an already undersized defenseman. He has taken some strides in that regard and IMO has easily justified a 4th round selection.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario

So you’re going to compare him to two first round picks? One that was originally one of the most hyped defensemen to come into the OHL since Ekblad/Doughty and the other that was a top 10 pick?

What’s your point exactly?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad