Prospect Info: Leafs 2017 2nd (Via OTT) (#59 OA) - Eemeli Rasanen - 6'7" 209lbs RHD - Kingston (OHL)

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
He's a big project right now. The hope is he can be useful like Engelland or McNabb are with Vegas right now.....an Older Chara. Stay-at-home guy with a long disruptive stick, huge shot, and physical. Foot speed is an issue but it's manageable if he learns to read plays well in advance and use his size/wingspan to his advantage.

I would have taken him, Lipanov, or Mattheos with our 2nd last year and my thoughts haven't really changed on that.

Yamazaki

Feb 9, 2018
He was homesick this year and had an off year and he was the first to admit it. You forget these are kids going to a new country to play hockey and not everyone has a seamless transition. Hopefully he bounces back I really hope he can turn into our ristolonen

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
huge range of outcomes between absolute bust and very useful/very unique big minute NHL'er, and it'll be 2-3 years before we get a real indication of where on that spectrum he's going to land. Of all of our prospects this is very likely the one that no one is going to be able to give you any sort of useful read on

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Seems to have had a disappointing D+1 season, but that in part seems to be the result of some psychological issues - ie missing family/homesick ect.

Steveei

Sep 10, 2012
Leafs drafted a handful of 6'5+ dman in the last two years. If any of 1 of them pan out, its jackpot. Seems like Rasanen has the most upside, and also the biggest, so we'll see.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Wish people would stop invoking the name of Chara, a future HOFer, to describe Rasanen. It's just a lazy comparison based on height.

Rasanen is technically having a better junior career as well.

Chara was not Chara until he was 25 or 26. He was nothing more than a hulking bottom pairing guy with a big shot before that.

Personally I always thought Myers was a better comparison anyways. Myers won't be a HOFer but he is a solid 2nd pairing RD with good offensive skill to pair with a strong defensive game. They aren't going to be carbon copies of one another, but I think they share the same sort of strengths and weaknesses. Prime Chara is a whole other level that Chara could not have even imagined reaching at Rasanen's age.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
We've got to see what Rasanen does next year. He's going to be 1D for Kingston and should still have a decent supporting cast. I've heard his defensive game has improved but his production took a hit. It would be awesome to see him push the PPG mark, while still improving his skating, defensive game, etc. to continue being (and becoming even more of) a defensive force.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
He is massive, he is mean....and he actually is pretty skilled with the puck too.

His skating isn't great but with his length that might not matter.

lots and lots of upside here, and a pretty decent floor, too.

Reactions: BertCorbeau

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Wish people would stop invoking the name of Chara, a future HOFer, to describe Rasanen. It's just a lazy comparison based on height.

it's based on height, strength, aggressiveness, and puckskills, actually. He plays a similar style as chara, even if he most likely never comes close to being anywhere as good.

it makes much more sense stylewise than comparisons to guys like Myers or Gill, tbh. those are just lazy comps based on height. neither Myers or Gill is physical like rasanen, while Myers is a much better skater and gill had no puck skills.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I wasn't a fan of Rasanen this season. Not much progression in his game. He should be dominating the CHL for a guy his size to be honest.

I liked the pick at the time but I was disappointed in his progression D+1. I hope he figures it out because he's massive and has some puck skills, so the potential is very much there... just not much to show for it yet, at least in my opinion.

Reactions: 613Leafer

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I wasn't a fan of Rasanen this season. Not much progression in his game. He should be dominating the CHL for a guy his size to be honest.

I liked the pick at the time but I was disappointed in his progression D+1. I hope he figures it out because he's massive and has some puck skills, so the potential is very much there... just not much to show for it yet, at least in my opinion.

This probably sums up my feelings 100%. The Athletic wrote up a good piece about him being home sick as he stayed in North America longer with the combine and draft etc but yeah....results would be nice.

Reactions: Menzinger

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario

His draft year was his first OHL season and he looked extremely awkward and very raw that season. I was surprised to see that he got so many points in his draft year honestly. Although he didn't really progress offensively this season, he became an excellent shutdown D and a great stabilizer for Sean Day. He is someone who could compliment what we already have on D one day if all works out. His draft position basically guarantees that we see him in the AHL after next season.

Reactions: saltming

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Remember that the difference in his production this year from last year is just the fact that he was the top PP guy last year, while this year they brought in a couple of PP dmen who took most of that PP time away. His even strength Production actually improved this year - by a lot:

16-17: 66gms, ES 2gls, 9pts (82gms, 3gls, 11pts) / PP 4gls, 30pts (5gls, 37pts)
17-18: 61gms, ES 3gls, 18pts (82gms, 4gls, 24pts) / PP 2gls, 14pts (3gls, 19pts)

I'm not sure about his exact PP ice time, but I'm pretty sure his PP time was cut at least in half this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad