Prospect Info: Leafs 2017 2nd (Via OTT) (#59 OA) - Eemeli Rasanen - 6'7" 209lbs RHD - Kingston (OHL)

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Rasanen turning into a Manson type would be a home run, no doubt. Like Manson, he's going to take a very long time to develop given his size. He's a prospect we all need to forget about for a while tbh because he's not making the team anytime soon. Middleton,Greenway,Rasanen,Gordeev,Nielsen etc we just need one to hit their potential.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Rasanen turning into a Manson type would be a home run, no doubt. Like Manson, he's going to take a very long time to develop given his size. He's a prospect we all need to forget about for a while tbh because he's not making the team anytime soon. Middleton,Greenway,Rasanen,Gordeev,Nielsen etc we just need one to hit their potential.

what I saw was rassanen very decent in his own quadrant ,he actually is a nice penalty killer already ,that boy may be stil growing ,but just to be in the mix for your countries national team is a good sign ,and the finns have a deep defence ,

horner

May 22, 2007
First time seeing kid.
I really what see.
Big big boy , rattles the boards when hits, mobile and good Defensively.
Something we don't have.
Can't wait to see this kid in 3 yrs.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
First time seeing kid.
I really what see.
Big big boy , rattles the boards when hits, mobile and good Defensively.
Something we don't have.
Can't wait to see this kid in 3 yrs.

I really have a good feeling about him. He has some tools, and that size with the mean streak. He also seems committed to continue to work on his skating/mobility. He improved so much as the year went on last year, it should be interesting to see his trajectory this year.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Looked really solid in the tournament. Played physical and kept the front of the net clean and made some smart plays defensively.

Not sure he will make Finland WJC team as the Finns have a bunch of former 1st round picks that will play ahead of him and they may have as many as 5 of them, depending if Olli Juolevi makes Vancouver or not.

From a Leaf standpoint if he can play a solid defensive game and PKer then he could become a valuable asset.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I view him sort of how I viewed Greenway at the last draft. Some very nice individual tools - bit unsure if he'll be able to put it all together though. Should have a much better shot at doing so than Greenway however.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
Next season in Kingston will be an important one for his development and how I see him as a prospect moving forward. With Desrocher leaving the Kingston, he should be relied upon quite a bit more than last season. He was my BPA pick at #59, so I've got high hopes for him.

I view him sort of how I viewed Greenway at the last draft. Some very nice individual tools - bit unsure if he'll be able to put it all together though. Should have a much better shot at doing so than Greenway however.

Out of everything I've seen from Greenway, he's doesnt have a future in the NHL. He's still a project obviously, but for a 3rd round pick and based on what I saw from the U18's I expected him to be a little bit further along in his development at this point.

Last edited:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Next season in Kingston will be an important one for his development and how I see him as a prospect moving forward. With Desrocher leaving the Kingston, he should be relied upon quite a bit more than last season. He was my BPA pick at #59, so I've got high hopes for him.

Out of everything I've seen from Greenway, he's doesnt have a future in the NHL. He's still a project obviously, but for a 3rd round pick and based on what I saw from the U18's I expected him to be a little bit further along in his development at this point.

I don't think things looks great for Greenway either.

So I hope that Ransanen is able to make a bigger "boom" in his D+1 season which proves he was worth spending a 2nd round pick on.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

So I hope that Ransanen is able to make a bigger "boom" in his D+1 season which proves he was worth spending a 2nd round pick on.

Greenway had a rough showcase and I wouldn't doubt he's coming back from injury. He played very well for the Badgers this past year and for a freshman was used a lot especially in the playoffs.
He has some years before I write him off. His coach Osiecki had high praise for him.
He's safely stashed away in the ncaa so way too early to say he's a bust.
That said he is and has always been a project. Time and patience will be needed with him.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005

he is already more confident than greenway ,its pretty obvious greenway has been sheltered in college ,he seemed timid in the showcase ,junior hockey would've helped him I'm sure ,he skates as well as logan Stanley ,the kids needs to play a ton

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

Greenway and Rasanen were only picked 13 picks apart (obviously not the same draft) so while yes Rasanen was a 2nd it was a very late 2nd and we had no 3rd so if they wanted to take him it had to be in the 2nd. If you want a parayko type huge dman you have to pick them, and rasanen wasn't making it to the 4th. Where they were picked doesn't matter once the draft is over so he doesn't have to prove he was worth a 2nd he needs to prove he can play in the NHL at some point and next season isn't going to be make or break for him

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
hes the type of pick you like to see in the later parts of the 2nd or 3rd round If he hits your laughing all the way to the bank if he doesn't you took a chance. I loved the pick personally same with gordeev. we are sorely lacking the intimidating force on our back end and having a couple of smooth skating giants will bring some fear in to our defensive corners

Reactions: coupe93 and 7even

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Not sure how he's progressing besides just looking at his numbers but I'm definitely hopeful. Hard to put some sort of ceiling on him but I'd love if he could develop into a 2nd or 3rd pairing d we can rely on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->