The Star: Leaf goalie Ben Scrivens weighs in on upcoming changes

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Leaf goalie Ben Scrivens weighs in on upcoming changes

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs...n_scrivens_weighs_in_on_upcoming_changes.html

Careful what you wish for.

That’s Ben Scrivens’ advice to those who believe that making the nets shallower or reducing the size of goalie equipment is going to add offence to the NHL.

There may not be a more thoughtful goalie on the subject than the Maple Leafs backup. The Star talked with Scrivens, reached at his home in Edmonton, about some of the changes proposed for next season.

Scrivens may not be a #1 Goal tender but in this question and answer interview, he gives some pretty good answers.

I wonder just how much impact this will have around the league and in our own Goal

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
This question is pretty interesting, Scrivens is saying, that the last time they changed the Goal Tending equipment, it made the Goal Tenders quicker, I'm wondering how this will impact, on older Goal Tenders because they will lose some of their quickness, as they age and can Goal Tenders get any quicker?

Q: The competition committee is also going to have another run at the size of goalie equipment, probably with an eye to making it smaller. What do you think of that?

Scrivens: “The last time when we made those changes it ended up making goalies quicker. It made dropping to your knees even more economical. It made the gear even more streamlined. It fit to the bodies even better. You became more athletic and more flexible.”

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Very thoughtful answers from a guy who is obviously more dialed into the game that your competition committee member.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Very thoughtful answers from a guy who is obviously more dialed into the game that your competition committee member.

IS there even a goalie on the competition committee?

You'd think they would talk to a goalie about these possible changes....

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005

I think Kay Whitmore is the goaltending supervisor, so he was likely involved in this even though he isn't a competition committee member.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
I find this whole thing maybe a little premature, are they actually going to do this, or is it only in the discussion stages, Scrivens seems to just dismiss it and thinks it's no big thing and does so, with some excellent answers, to the questions posed to him.

The Competition Committee, I would think, May try it in a lower league and we may see it possibly in the AHL pre-season, or will they just jump in with both feet and make the changes in the AHL, it probably won't be cheap changing the Goals and Goal Tender equipment.

I think the Hybrid Icing will become the norm but I'm not sure about the rest of it.

Scrivens take on the Hybrid Icing Rule.

Scrivens: “We played with it in the AHL. From a goaltender’s point of view, there is an unintended side effect. (In a regular icing play) if you’re watching an icing come down and you see the other player is coming in first, it’s pretty easy to know you have to get out and play the puck. (With hybrid icing) you don’t necessarily go out and play the puck because you don’t know what’s going to happen until the guys are at the tops of the circles. By then, if they wave it off, it’s too late for you to get out and play the puck for your defencemen.

“That’s a small adjustment you have to make as a goaltender, but again, that’s the sacrifice we’ll make if it’s going to make players safer out there and fewer of those nasty injuries are happening.”

spidergoalie

Aug 9, 2009
Kamloops, BC, Canada

Cory Schneider.

Here is an article on his thoughts:
http://ingoalmag.com/news/schneider-talks-competition-committee-gear-changes/

None of it will matter. For equipment they are going after the thigh rise and knee pads.
Apparently having one extra goal dribble through the 5 hole every 5 games or so will make the game more exciting. :shakehead

If they want to increase scoring, or more to the point make the game more exciting, I think there are better areas to look at, but as far as the goalie equipment...they fart around with it every couple years and it makes no difference. It's not like goalies at the NHL level are talentless hack relying on big pads. These guys have skills far beyond your average guy, and no matter what changes are made they will adapt, and they will have adapted mostly before the first game of the season.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Cory Schneider.

Here is an article on his thoughts:
http://ingoalmag.com/news/schneider-talks-competition-committee-gear-changes/

None of it will matter. For equipment they are going after the thigh rise and knee pads.
Apparently having one extra goal dribble through the 5 hole every 5 games or so will make the game more exciting. :shakehead

If they want to increase scoring, or more to the point make the game more exciting, I think there are better areas to look at, but as far as the goalie equipment...they fart around with it every couple years and it makes no difference. It's not like goalies at the NHL level are talentless hack relying on big pads. These guys have skills far beyond your average guy, and no matter what changes are made they will adapt, and they will have adapted mostly before the first game of the season.

Thanks for that article, it is a good read.

I'm wondering, if Allaire has all our Goal Tenders wearing these pads and will they be allowed.

The fact there are some narrow butterfly goalies that don’t even bother to use the thigh rise to close the 5-hole, instead relying on kneepads to close it and protect their knees against direct puck impact, suggests they may be able to stay safe without it.

Of course, most of the goalies that expose their knees that way do so while wearing massive kneepads behind their leg pads. The maximum width for these kneepads was quietly reduced from 9.5 to 9 inches two summers ago, and they are supposed to contour around the goaltender’s leg. But the reality is many, including a large Swiss-made custom carbon-fiber option introduced by Francois Allaire and now used by dozens of NHL goalies, are designed as much to form a 5-hole wall as they are to protect.Of course, most of the goalies that expose their knees that way do so while wearing massive kneepads behind their leg pads. The maximum width for these kneepads was quietly reduced from 9.5 to 9 inches two summers ago, and they are supposed to contour around the goaltender’s leg. But the reality is many, including a large Swiss-made custom carbon-fiber option introduced by Francois Allaire and now used by dozens of NHL goalies, are designed as much to form a 5-hole wall as they are to protect.

Given most of the goaltenders InGoal talked to this season expected more of their peers to adopt that style of kneepad if their knees are exposed by smaller thigh rises, it’s no surprise the NHL is also trying to trim that padding as part of this summer’s changes. Ensuring smaller kneepads are enough to protect from direct impact, something many NHL goalies have never had to worry about because of their taller thigh rise, is important.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Leaf goalie Ben Scrivens weighs in on upcoming changes

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs...n_scrivens_weighs_in_on_upcoming_changes.html

Scrivens may not be a #1 Goal tender but in this question and answer interview, he gives some pretty good answers.

I wonder just how much impact this will have around the league and in our own Goal

Scrivens is a really smart cookie if you ask me. Actually talks to the cameras and microphones like a normal person and not a parrot.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Scrivens may not have a long career ahead of him as a goaltender in the National Hockey League, but he probably does in coaching.

spidergoalie

Aug 9, 2009
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Thanks for that article, it is a good read.

I'm wondering, if Allaire has all our Goal Tenders wearing these pads and will they be allowed.
I am pretty sure all the Leaf goalies right down to Sparks wear the Allaire knee pads.
I am also pretty sure they will have to be changed once new specs are introduced.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad