Leadership

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
One of the differences I am seeing from last year to this is the emergence of the veteran presence, one that may be very helpful in the dressing room and on the road. Last year, there was a lot of leadership placed on Ladd's young shoulders and he did just fine...but I sensed he needed some help. The addition of Jokinenen and the reuniting of Ponikorovsky/Antropov may change the team chemistry for the better, and I sense that Wheeler, despite his age, is poised to contribute on the leadership front, as well. Hainsey could be a big help if he chose to, but I can't convince myself that he is as committed to the team as these others.
The team will still rely on mostly young guns to provide firepower, but, in a season like this, it'll be nice to have some older, wiser men to provide leadership, focus, consistency, and the odd kick in the butt.
Thoughts?

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
:nod::nod:

I think leadership comes from a combination of experience and also being pressed into a leadership role.

Ladd, Byfuglien, Jokinen, Enstrom, Stuart, Hainsey, Antropov, Wellwood, and Ponikarovsky all bring aspects of leadership

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
To me, leadership is grabbing a must game by the throat and inflicting your will on the outcome. Being a difference on the ice. It's Giroux imposing his will on Crosby and the Pens in last year's playoff match.

I don't see many Jets that have that type of leadership. That's the leadership i'd like to see, and we may be a few years and a draft pick or two - or a trade acquisition or two - away from that, tbh.

Becel

I Hate Jamie Macoun
Sep 14, 2011
If Hainsey can lead 700 players, I imagine he can lead 23. :)

I seem to remember a Bogosian interview last year where he raved about Hainsey's leadership in the room and on the ice. He said he is constantly talking, which on the ice is a great thing, in the dressing room as well and (insert CBA joke here).

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
I'd like to see the A's move around. I don't think Thor should be an alternate, it should go to Wheeler. Three of our four alternate captains are Defensemen. Maybe another one (Stuarts) could go to Antropov or something.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
:nod::nod:

I think leadership comes from a combination of experience and also being pressed into a leadership role.

Ladd, Byfuglien, Jokinen, Enstrom, Stuart, Hainsey, Antropov, Wellwood, and Ponikarovsky all bring aspects of leadership

One thing that made me a bigger fan of Wheeler last year was that I thought he was not only our best player from about halfway on and had the team almost on his back, was his comments about making the playoffs, not settling for being average, etc.

I thought Wheeler was wearing his heart on his sleeve from December on, and was one of the bigger leaders out there. (Obviously it goes without saying that I can't confirm who is actually doing what in the dressing room.)

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
One thing that made me a bigger fan of Wheeler last year was that I thought he was not only our best player from about halfway on and had the team almost on his back, was his comments about making the playoffs, not settling for being average, etc.

I thought Wheeler was wearing his heart on his sleeve from December on, and was one of the bigger leaders out there. (Obviously it goes without saying that I can't confirm who is actually doing what in the dressing room.)

Completely agree re; Wheeler. His emergence last season in which he said himself he learned how to become a better, more consistent player. He appears to have figured out what it takes to be 'the guy' from start to finish. This season will be a big test for him in that regard.

Like you, Huffer, I also loved the leadership qualities Wheeler demonstrated last season. He displayed heart and sole, even played more physical. If he can do that again and become a 70 point RW, he's going to be looked upon as one of the very, very good RW in the NHL. A star.

Blake Wheeler could become a legitimate, consistent "Star" RW with a repeat season continuing on how he played last season. He made me a big believer and I can't wait to see what he does going forward this season.

As for our leaders on the team, whomever they may be on the ice and in the room, I want to see them walk, talk and act like winners, as Noel says. These guys have to take that step, responsibility and accountability. There is no other option or mindset.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg

I agree as well. Wheeler never hid his feelings about work ethic and determination. Of all the Jets, I think you could see this in Wheeler's play on the ice and his demeanor on the bench. I thought he was the most consistently determined to inflict his will upon the opposing team every game last year, if not every shift.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
Speaking of leadership, while the Winnipeg Sun remains for some reason fixated upon a photo taken by Kane, I've noticed quite a difference in his demeanor so far this year. Not claiming he is an angel by any means but he appears to be at least attempting to come across as not quite so aloof, not as dismissive in a way. In the video interviews he appears to be making intentionally direct eye contact with the reporters and is giving optimistic and reasoned replies. I wish some people would give this 21 year old kid a chance to mature. He will probably always be an entitled professional athlete but the fact of the matter is that, at the NHL level, most of the players are that way. Perhaps Kane will morph into the sort of person that will prove an ideal fit for our team, which is really all that matters. It appears he is trying. I'm guessing some of our team leadership is quietly showing him the way behind the scenes.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Speaking of leadership, while the Winnipeg Sun remains for some reason fixated upon a photo taken by Kane, I've noticed quite a difference in his demeanor so far this year. Not claiming he is an angel by any means but he appears to be at least attempting to come across as not quite so aloof, not as dismissive in a way. In the video interviews he appears to be making intentionally direct eye contact with the reporters and is giving optimistic and reasoned replies. I wish some people would give this 21 year old kid a chance to mature. He will probably always be an entitled professional athlete but the fact of the matter is that, at the NHL level, most of the players are that way. Perhaps Kane will morph into the sort of person that will prove an ideal fit for our team, which is really all that matters. It appears he is trying. I'm guessing some of our team leadership is quietly showing him the way behind the scenes.
I've noticed the same thing, although it is very early. I think putting him on a line with Jokinen is an inspired move for a number of reasons. Olli is being very complimentary of Kane (good for the fragile ego), and so, when the time comes, Kane might be more inclined to take constructive criticism from someone he respects and sees as a bit a father figure (not quite, but Olli IS >50% older than Kane).
This may just be wishful thinking, but it's what I was referring to in the OP and my earlier comments about mentoring.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I've noticed the same thing, although it is very early. I think putting him on a line with Jokinen is an inspired move for a number of reasons. Olli is being very complimentary of Kane (good for the fragile ego), and so, when the time comes, Kane might be more inclined to take constructive criticism from someone he respects and sees as a bit a father figure (not quite, but Olli IS >50% older than Kane).
This may just be wishful thinking, but it's what I was referring to in the OP and my earlier comments about mentoring.

Looking at video clips from the practices, Kane even looks like he respects/looks-up to Jokinen... totally guessing but from body language that's what it seems.

Mathil8

▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌
Jul 24, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Looking at video clips from the practices, Kane even looks like he respects/looks-up to Jokinen... totally guessing but from body language that's what it seems.

Do you have links of those video clips, or have they already been posted?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad