LD Ty Smith - Spokane Chiefs, WHL (2018, 17th, NJD)

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
With Boqvist it's just harder to tell because he doesn't play in the CHL.
Yeah he's still a big question mark for me. I have him ranked 5th atm because of what I've read and where others have him...but I'm still not sure. He's the only player I have ranked in the top 10 that I haven't actually watched (outside of highlights) so I'm still weary. I still think he could be the riskiest top 10 pick.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
how's his defensive/physical game? The puck moving ability and offensive instincts are very good imo.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
I was quite high on Smith, top 10 high. I'm noticing the offensive numbers aren't there for the U18's, can anyone watching give a rundown as to why that might be?

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
I haven't watched him a lot but did see all of his games in the U-18 and top prospect game. If I didn't come here to see that most hold his play in high regard then I wouldn't think he was much of a prospect. He was poor in the prospects game and again at the U-18. Maybe he has a hard time getting adjusted quickly to new team mates. That's the way I look at it.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
I was quite high on Smith, top 10 high. I'm noticing the offensive numbers aren't there for the U18's, can anyone watching give a rundown as to why that might be?

Thanks to his great skating ability, he has strong puck moving ability. Overall he is poise with the puck, but I didn't find him possessing high end IQ like he was portrayed to have by some, I didn't see him take many risks, he almost always goes for the safe high percentage play, this strategy didn't really payoff for him offensively in the tournament, his shot wasn't particularly menacing either. To me he is more of transition player than a QB from the point. His 2-way game is pretty solid, good gap control, his skating again help him in that aspect (his edgework is top-notch). To me he belongs in the 10-16 range in this draft, I don't see elite potential.

Last edited:

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Thanks to his great skating ability, he has strong puck moving ability. Overall he is poise with the puck, but I didn't find him possessing high end IQ like he was portrayed to have by some, I didn't see him take many risks, he almost always goes for the safe high percentage play, this strategy didn't really payoff for him the tournament, his shot wasn't particularly menacing either. To me he is more of transition player than a QB from the point. His 2-way game is pretty solid, good gap control, his skating again help him in that aspect (his edgework is top-notch). To me he belongs in the 10-15 range in this draft, I don't see elite potential.

Agree with all that from my few viewings. Although I think he executes the high % play at an A+ level more often than not. Has a good low, hard shot that he has a knack for getting through. The two-way transition D with top-end skating is exactly what the Hurricanes organization looks for. I’m not against him at #11 (if they end up there), even though the Canes need forwards.

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
Thanks to his great skating ability, he has strong puck moving ability. Overall he is poise with the puck, but I didn't find him possessing high end IQ like he was portrayed to have by some, I didn't see him take many risks, he almost always goes for the safe high percentage play, this strategy didn't really payoff for him offensively in the tournament, his shot wasn't particularly menacing either. To me he is more of transition player than a QB from the point. His 2-way game is pretty solid, good gap control, his skating again help him in that aspect (his edgework is top-notch). To me he belongs in the 10-16 range in this draft, I don't see elite potential.

Pretty well my thoughts exactly after having watched him in this tournament. Looks like a solid player but not a game changer. Certainly skates well, and plays a smart game but he didn't do a whole lot offensively- as you said he took the safe play time after time. I prefer that compared to Merkley who is always trying to do too much, but I can see why he's not in that same tier as guys like Hughes and Boqvist.

Reactions: ProspectsFanatic

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Only saw one game of his in the U18's but he didn't really impress. Wasn't bad, but wasn't that good either. Underwhelming at the TPG too. Not sure what to make of him at this point. I think he's trending more towards a solid 2nd pairing guy in my mind as of now. Maybe more Josh Morrissey than Duncan Keith.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I’m pretty torn on him. I’ve seen him some times where I’ve really liked him. But then he has struggled sometimes when he is playing best on best (TPG + U18).

I think he may just need to get stronger and mature more physically, because I think he has struggled with the forecheck when he plays top competition. If he can get stronger on his skates combined with his skating, he can probably iron that out.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
He reminds me of Keith a lot. No matter how good or bad he is, he still reminds me of him a lot.

Not nearly as dynamic of skater in my view (compared to prime Keith).

Smith had a very underwhelming U-18 in my view. I expected a dominant player there. Especially since he already played in that tournament a year ago. He just kind of blended in most of the time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->