LD Rasmus Dahlin - Frolunda HC, SHL (2018, 1st, BUF) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Best defensive prospect I have ever seen with my own two eyes.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
One of those opponents he's toying with, #18 Joakim Andersson, has 205 games in NHL. And it's not the first time we have seen him make runs through teams like this..

Last edited:
Reactions: TychoFan

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
Every highly-touted Swedish defenseman is viewed as the next Lidstrom.

I’m not saying the hype wasn’t enormous. Just that the hype for Dahlin is more. I’ve seen multiple prospect guys say that Dahlin is the best D prospect they’ve ever seen. Presumably “ever” includes 2011.

Besides, Larsson took a step back in his draft year. Dahlin isn’t.

Yes clearly Larsson did not step up in his draft year but my point was that the hype was enormous in the D-1 season and the start of his draft season. Dahlin is having a great start to his draft season whereas Larsson didn't progress (maybe regressed). But if you did a snapshot of the Larsson hype September 2011 vs. Dahlin hype September 2017 it was pretty similar in my view. Really I guess I take issue with your "not in the same universe" comment. No big deal. I am definitely rooting for Dahlin and hope he continues on this awesome trajectory.

Luddowich

May 1, 2013
Sweden
How is his defensive game?
Needs work, a bit inconsistent and needs work on his positional game but it's IMO not below average.
He has said himself that he views himself as a two-way defenseman which is a good thing.

Yes clearly Larsson did not step up in his draft year but my point was that the hype was enormous in the D-1 season and the start of his draft season. Dahlin is having a great start to his draft season whereas Larsson didn't progress (maybe regressed). But if you did a snapshot of the Larsson hype September 2011 vs. Dahlin hype September 2017 it was pretty similar in my view. Really I guess I take issue with your "not in the same universe" comment. No big deal. I am definitely rooting for Dahlin and hope he continues on this awesome trajectory.
Really, a part from being Swedish, played in the SHL at 16 and defensemen, they share NOTHING in common.

Larsson never took over games and displayed the glimpses of dominance that Dahlin time after time does. Further, Larsson was a man child at 16.. Dahlin is 6'3 180-190..
The comparison is basically pointless as they're also in different tiers talently.

Looking at that gif he must've really worked on his speed during the summer, didn't know he could fly like that.

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
Really, a part from being Swedish, played in the SHL at 16 and defensemen, they share NOTHING in common.

Larsson never took over games and displayed the glimpses of dominance that Dahlin time after time does. Further, Larsson was a man child at 16.. Dahlin is 6'3 180-190..
The comparison is basically pointless as they're also in different tiers talently..

And did I argue to the contrary?

All I did was take issue with a comment from Juxtoposer that said that that the hype between the two players was "not in the same universe", which I thought was completely untrue. I was reading the prospects board just as religiously back in 2009-2011 as I do now so I have a very good recollection of how hyped Larsson was until he lost steam after the early part of his draft season.

I have made no comment about whether hype was justified at that time or whether it is justified now. I have made no comment about how the players should be perceived or should have been perceived. Perhaps someone else compared the two in a qualitative way earlier but it certainly wasn't me. I was addressing only one very particular point.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Hes coming to Mtl, we lost to the rangers, their only win. We are worst. Coyotes and Sabres are trying to win unlike MTL and NYR, so its b/w us 2

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
And did I argue to the contrary?

All I did was take issue with a comment from Juxtoposer that said that that the hype between the two players was "not in the same universe", which I thought was completely untrue. I was reading the prospects board just as religiously back in 2009-2011 as I do now so I have a very good recollection of how hyped Larsson was until he lost steam after the early part of his draft season.

I have made no comment about whether hype was justified at that time or whether it is justified now. I have made no comment about how the players should be perceived or should have been perceived. Perhaps someone else compared the two in a qualitative way earlier but it certainly wasn't me. I was addressing only one very particular point.
I also recall the hype for Larsson. Right after Hedman got drafted 2nd overall (and remember, they were pumping him as potentially getting picked ahead of Tavares), people were already saying that Larsson was even better. This faded as the season went on and obviously Larsson dropped a bit from No-1-lock status but in his D-1 year there was crazy hype. Both Larsson and Filip Forsberg dropped in back to back years in similar ways.

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
I also recall the hype for Larsson. Right after Hedman got drafted 2nd overall (and remember, they were pumping him as potentially getting picked ahead of Tavares), people were already saying that Larsson was even better. This faded as the season went on and obviously Larsson dropped a bit from No-1-lock status but in his D-1 year there was crazy hype. Both Larsson and Filip Forsberg dropped in back to back years in similar ways.
What you dont seem to understand is that hype came from NA media, not swedish - nor swedish captains or former stars. Dahlin's seen as a way bigger talent than Larsson, and hes been viewed that way for a long time. In Sweden. What TSN says dosn't really apply.

Luddowich

May 1, 2013
Sweden
Larsson does not have the skating dahlin has.
All Larsson had on Dahlin at the same age was more muscle, possibly a heavier shot and less swagger (for the ones who think Karlsson is a 4th forward.)
That's why i don't understand why people are comparing the 2 right now, skill wise or hype wise. Dahlin and Larsson isn't in the same tier in either.

As for previous poster i quoted, my mistakes. Missread it.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
And a cup...

Seriously. The teams that “deserve” him are the ones that have never won a Cup nor had a 1st overall pick in their history.

Of course, we all know that “deserve” has nothing to do with it after watching the Oilers get McDavid and the Leafs get Matthews.

infinitemile

Oct 8, 2017
We definitely deserve him. I've been a fan for 30 years and we've had one top 5 pick.
oh poor you. Yeah you're right, the Rangers made the 2nd round last year but they definitely deserve it more than the Canucks. What ever would you do if your team was bad??? The league might end!

AOSC

Jun 26, 2013
Minnesota
Seriously. The teams that “deserve” him are the ones that have never won a Cup nor had a 1st overall pick in their history.

Of course, we all know that “deserve” has nothing to do with it after watching the Oilers get McDavid and the Leafs get Matthews.

So Minnesota? :D

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
Poor Ranger fans having to deal with one top-5 draft pick in 30 years. Maybe it has something to do with every Free Agent or deadline player wanting to play in 'the world's most famous arena'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad