LD Rasmus Dahlin - Frolunda HC, SHL (2018, 1st, BUF) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Finishes the season with 20 points - the second-highest U-18 total in league history
For defencemen or any position?
All positions
I do find the "under 18" definition a little meaningless. For example, Hedman put up 21 points (with a much better +/-) in his draft year, and Hedman was just 4 months older, but because Hedman turned 18 half way through the regular season, while Dahlin will turn 18 a month after the regular season ends, Hedman's season gets excluded from the U-18 stat.

Daniel Sedin put up 42 points in his draft year, Henrik put up 34, Elias Lindholm put up 30, etc. But they were 4-7 months older than Dahlin in their draft years, so these don't count as U-18 seasons.

Don't get me wrong, Dahlin is an unreal prospect, and has been having a terrific draft year. But "under 18" is a bit of a cherry picked stat for him, because he turns 18 just a bit after the SHL regular season ends, while a lot of the other all-time-great SHL draft seasons have been by guys who turned 18 roughly at the start or middle of the season, so their draft years get excluded from this stat. It’s a little deceptive to throw out this U-18 stat without noting that people a few months older, also in their NHL draft seasons, have put up much higher scoring years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeypic

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
I do find the "under 18" definition a little meaningless. For example, Hedman put up 21 points (with a much better +/-) in his draft year, and Hedman was just 4 months older, but because Hedman turned 18 half way through the regular season, while Dahlin will turn 18 a month after the regular season ends, Hedman's season gets excluded from the U-18 stat.

Daniel Sedin put up 42 points in his draft year, Henrik put up 34, Elias Lindholm put up 30, etc. But they were 4-7 months older than Dahlin in their draft years, so these don't count as U-18 seasons.

Don't get me wrong, Dahlin is an unreal prospect, and has been having a terrific draft year. But "under 18" is a bit of a cherry picked stat for him, because he turns 18 just a bit after the SHL regular season ends, while a lot of the other all-time-great SHL draft seasons have been by guys who turned 18 roughly at the start or middle of the season, so their draft years get excluded from this stat. It’s a little deceptive to throw out this U-18 stat without noting that people a few months older, also in their NHL draft seasons, have put up much higher scoring years.

There's a reason why those late birthday U19 players put up much better numbers than the U18 kids. They had 1 extra year of hockeygymnasium (elite hockey program) and that's a pretty big advantage.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
This may come off as homerific, but I really think the two teams that deserve him the most are the Wings and Nucks. Neither team’s front office has ever fully tanked, and they’re at least trying to put an NHL team on the ice.

Distant 3rd would be Arizona

I agree for the most part until this trade deadline, Vancouver should've sold off more. I don't like when bad GMs and their office gets rewards for being too passive, a lá Joe Sakic and Garth Snow type of GMs.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
This may come off as homerific, but I really think the two teams that deserve him the most are the Wings and Nucks. Neither team’s front office has ever fully tanked, and they’re at least trying to put an NHL team on the ice.

Distant 3rd would be Arizona
Hawks have also not been tanking and are trying to put a good team together. Obviously we also deserve Dahlin...

Reactions: Castle8130

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Am I the only one who thinks this Dahlin kid isn't all that?
Neither did I. Key word "did".

I thought he was another overhyped Swedish defenseman along the lines of Adam Larsson, who can put up some highlight reel plays.

When I watched him play for the first time I was amazed. I don't think I have ever seen a defenseman take over the game the way he did. The only players with as great an impact on a game that I have ever seen are Crosby and McDavid (I'm not that old). I have seen quite a lot more of him recently and I just get more impressed each game.

A lot of scouts are comparing him to Erik Karlsson. Some are comparing him to the likes of Nicklas Lidstrom. I think he'll be better.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Neither did I. Key word "did".

I thought he was another overhyped Swedish defenseman along the lines of Adam Larsson, who can put up some highlight reel plays.

When I watched him play for the first time I was amazed. I don't think I have ever seen a defenseman take over the game the way he did. The only players with as great an impact on a game that I have ever seen are Crosby and McDavid (I'm not that old). I have seen quite a lot more of him recently and I just get more impressed each game.

A lot of scouts are comparing him to Erik Karlsson. Some are comparing him to the likes of Nicklas Lidstrom. I think he'll be better.

Oh please, let's see him in the NHL first before making judgments like this.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Glad your not a head scout

I can be a scout: he will go first overall and could succeed in the NHL very easily. Is it a guarantee he will be as good as Lidstrom or Karlsson or even better? Certainly not. If you have proof though please share

Reactions: Aerrol

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
I can be a scout: he will go first overall and could succeed in the NHL very easily. Is it a guarantee he will be as good as Lidstrom or Karlsson or even better? Certainly not. If you have proof though please share
Haha relax. I just meant u have to make judgements before the nhl or why would u even scout lmao

Reactions: bogostick

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
The Canucks need him most... Tickets are going on sale for 9-13 dollars... attendance has been the worst in decades.... and outcry of consecutive sold out seats with ($250 Dollar Tickets minimum) back in 2011. Vancouver may be a big market but it's clear we are now struggling with interest in the team. Dahlin will change this if we do get him and help this market recover.

And Bettman needs to draw more interest in the PNW for seattle expansion. :naughty:

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
I've seen plenty of "sure things" who didn't work out.
When people start comparing him to EK or Lidstrom or even say he will be better than both that is serious expectations to live up to.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
There's a reason why those late birthday U19 players put up much better numbers than the U18 kids. They had 1 extra year of hockeygymnasium (elite hockey program) and that's a pretty big advantage.

I have seen no signs of that have any meaning at all. Do their hockey season start 1 january?

Sure you can take age difference into accout during the draft, but then you shall count actually days/weeks/months, not if they are born 31 dec or 1 january, and count that as a year extra of devolopment. I have seen no signs of that being true at all.

I have heard that argument so many times, like with Elias Pettersson, but there is nothing magically happening between 31 dec and 1 january, that is just another day during the season.

But with that said, I still consider Dahlin to be a better talent than Hedman, sedins was during their draft year with a fairly big margin, they didnt have the same tools as Dahlin have. But if Dahlin ends up being as good as Hedman he shall be glad with that.

Last edited:

free0717

Apr 14, 2004
Old Bridge, NJ
I really hope the Rangers win the draft lottery and pick this player. The league gave Pittsburgh Crosby (I have no doubt the fix was in because the owners were sick of pumping $$$$ into that franchise and figured Crosby could reserect that team). Pittsburgh also tanked for Mario so they had two all time greats. Rangers picked Brad Park in 1966 no 2 overall. The Rangers never had a no 1 overall pick. I really hope we win this lottery this year. Especially if this player is the next Bobby Orr.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Guess you said the same thing about McDavid?

Nope. Defenseman are a whole different story. I think Dahlin will be very good don't get me wrong, but people are expecting way too much from him in his first year, and predicting he will be better than some of the best to ever play is a ridiculous claim.

Reactions: Crede777
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->