LD Rasmus Dahlin - Frolunda HC, SHL (2018, 1st, BUF) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
i knew the top-2 going into this draft was looking like dahlin and svechnikov, i assumed the big scoring russian rw would probably be the one more likely to be considered #1, but after watching dahlin...im sold. you can't pass on that. makar was the best skating d prospect ive seen. dahlin is the best puck handler d prospect ive ever seen. his ability to skate and carry the puck along with good size, he's my favorite to go #1. you don't take a winger over a D like this.

Aahlstroem

På Legenders Axlar
Dec 7, 2012
Göteborg
Last time I saw him live he scored that amazing goal against Skellefteå. I'm travelling to Gothenburg for the SHL premiere so I'm hoping for a new memory like that :yo:

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
i knew the top-2 going into this draft was looking like dahlin and svechnikov, i assumed the big scoring russian rw would probably be the one more likely to be considered #1, but after watching dahlin...im sold. you can't pass on that. makar was the best skating d prospect ive seen. dahlin is the best puck handler d prospect ive ever seen. his ability to skate and carry the puck along with good size, he's my favorite to go #1. you don't take a winger over a D like this.

Some people think it's close but honestly it's not. Even disregarding positional value he is literally franchise potential.

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
Some people think it's close but honestly it's not. Even disregarding positional value he is literally franchise potential.

I agree. Usually, the order goes: Center > D > FW

Considering what potential Dahlin possesses, he should be considered #1 OV unless something major happens this season

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
His game reminds me so much of OEL. Specially at that age. I think they're pretty good comparable.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Yea, OEL was much more physical then and still is.

I respectfully disagree. Dahlin throws thunderous checks against men. I've never seen OEL blow guys up like that. Look up OEL body checks up on youtube. You'll find OEL getting blown up more than him doing the blowing up.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Bobby Orr

Gonna upset 93LEAFS saying that, I remember he didn't take too kindly the last time I said that. :sarcasm:

But for real, the comparison is Orr due to the speed at which he controls hockey games. Its pretty incredible, to go along with some of the best puck skills in the world, regardless of position. He might not completely be Bobby Orr, but stylistically, I think there are definitely some elements there.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Bobby Orr

Gonna upset 93LEAFS saying that, I remember he didn't take too kindly the last time I said that. :sarcasm:

But for real, the comparison is Orr due to the speed at which he controls hockey games. Its pretty incredible, to go along with some of the best puck skills in the world, regardless of position. He might not completely be Bobby Orr, but stylistically, I think there are definitely some elements there.
Yeah, because for him to look like Orr he would have to be a McDavid level skater which he isn't, which is why its a very far reaching comparison. Orr was the best skater in the league. When someone lacks a player's iconic trait, I don't see how they are comparable.

There seems to be a desire to compare prospects to all-time greats here under the guise of stylistically, even when the players lack obvious traits which make the comparison very far reaching. There are a bunch of young defencemen who are more explosive skaters than Dahlin. He's still the best young defensive prospect in the world by a wide margin, but he isn't explosive like some such as Makar. He's elusive due to edge work and puck control. His game is unique, but not Bobby Orr like. And that's before even getting into how fundamentally different the game is from the mid-60's.

Like most very high-end talents, he plays like himself and in a unique style. Crosby and McDavid don't really play like anyone else before them. McDavid has Bure like traits with a more play making approach. Crosby plays a combination of skill, grit and lowerbody puck protection that I can't place on anyone else.

Last edited:

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
He's gonna be much better than oel

OEL is one of the better #1 defensemen in the league, on a better team he could be up there for the Norris. Reaching that level is incredibly difficult no matter how good you are at 16 or 17. I would not be surprised one bit if Dahlin ended up better than OEL but it's not something you can expect at this point.

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
OEL is one of the better #1 defensemen in the league, on a better team he could be up there for the Norris. Reaching that level is incredibly difficult no matter how good you are at 16 or 17. I would not be surprised one bit if Dahlin ended up better than OEL but it's not something you can expect at this point.

Why not? He's way ahead of OEL at the same age and is considered the best prospect from Sweden since the Sedins

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Why not? He's way ahead of OEL at the same age and is considered the best prospect from Sweden since the Sedins

That doesn't mean you can expect him to be better than OEL at age ~25. Elias Lindholm at age 17-18 is probably the best Swedish forward prospect since Bäckström, in order to become Bäckström-good he would still need to hit yet another gear after he was drafted, like guys like Karlsson and OEL did. It's the light version of predicting how good a 13 year old will be at 19, so much can happen. We can do our best to predict but you can't also expect things to go that way.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

BonAppleTea

May 16, 2013

Considering the hype and talent at this age you should absolutely be able to expect it. He is just a much, much better prospect and very fairly so. Not saying it will turn out that way 100% of the time since progress differs from player to player and all that, but we surely should be able to expect it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->