LD Quinton Hughes - U of Michigan, Big Ten (2018, 7th, VAN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
39% of his points came from the powerplay. That's quite a bit.
well to be fair he did start off the year shielded a bit, more power play time and not on the top pair...so his roles have changed mightily over the season to where it seems the puck starts and stops with him. not saying that some of his numbers aren't pumped up by power plays, but that is still a part of the game that a lot of teams namely my Blackhawks need serious help with. if he was over 50-60% then I can say look harder into it, but how he started out I wouldn't look much into it anymore.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado

Werenski's final year in university or his sophomore year where he put up 35 points in 35 games.
51% of his points came on the power play, and he had Kyle Connor and the best line in College hockey as his unit.

His Freshman year he put up 44% of his points on the power play, where he played with Zach Hyman and Dylan Larkin.

So you also have to compare who hughes has to play with.

Last edited:

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Werenski's final year in university or his sophomore year where he put up 35 points in 35 games.
51% of his points came on the power play, and he had Kyle Connor and the best line in College hockey as his unit.

His Freshman year he put up 44% of his points on the power play, where he played with Zach Hyman and Dylan Larkin.

So you also have to compare who hughes has to play with.

sold. Anyone watch college hockey? is he as good as Makar? better? worse? he is one year younger then Makar.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Better than Makar imo.
Ehhhh he doesn't come close to Makar's ceiling, but he's more consistent than him. Different defenders though, Makar is all about offencive from the rush similar to Kessel as he lead all freshmen with shot generation, while Hughes is all about puck control similar to Krug.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Ehhhh he doesn't come close to Makar's ceiling, but he's more consistent than him. Different defenders though, Makar is all about offencive from the rush similar to Kessel as he lead all freshmen with shot generation, while Hughes is all about puck control similar to Krug.
I actually have it the opposite, not sure Makar can reach the ceiling potential Hughes has. Makar looks like he can be more of a steady well rounded two-way defensemen...likely more "sure thing" to be a pro player - but Hughes looks like pure elite skill, if he hits and everything clicks for him, his ceiling is near unmatched IMO. both great young players and a true testament to how the game is changing specifically the defense position

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
That definitely does not take away from the freshman season Quinn has had and shouldn’t make GMs shy away from him. He’s 3rd in points in his freshman year for the Univeristy of Michigan. He really had an amazing season especially for a small 18 year old defenseman playing NCAA.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phoicon

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I actually have it the opposite, not sure Makar can reach the ceiling potential Hughes has. Makar looks like he can be more of a steady well rounded two-way defensemen...likely more "sure thing" to be a pro player - but Hughes looks like pure elite skill, if he hits and everything clicks for him, his ceiling is near unmatched IMO. both great young players and a true testament to how the game is changing specifically the defense position
I think Hughes is more consistent and has a greater chance of reaching his ceiling much more than Makar. Makar ceiling is around or better than Klingberg and I just cannot see Quinn becoming that sort of defender. A more offencive-minded Jared Spurgeon is what I see which is a very solid player, it is a reason why Hughes is my favourite for this draft. FTR I am not the biggest Makar fan and any Av fan can back that up. I still think we picked him way too high, however I won't deny his ceiling either (he's one of the more dynamic defenders I have watched, sort of like Nathan MacKinnon from the back end).

Reactions: Phoicon

Christien

May 1, 2010
About to be on ESPN2 at 4 pm eastern for anybody interested. Going against Brady Tkachuk

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
Hughes scores the first goal on a laser. Cut through BU like a hot knife to set up the possession.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
It won't get the same recognition as his goal, especially since it happened before, but his read on BU's 4-2 on break to step up on the winger receiving the pass to neutralize him, the puck, and the break, was a fantastic example of his high hockey IQ.

CanuckCity

Aug 23, 2012
Budapest
Didnt see the replay too well but looked like he got manhandled at the blueline there on that goal? That's my main concern with him is that its pretty difficult to be a true #1 when youre that small. 4-6 seems really high to take a guy who's gonna likely need tailored minutes. Obviously if he reaches his ceiling itd be a different story but im assuming he ends up similar to a Ghost

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Didnt see the replay too well but looked like he got manhandled at the blueline there on that goal? That's my main concern with him is that its pretty difficult to be a true #1 when youre that small. 4-6 seems really high to take a guy who's gonna likely need tailored minutes. Obviously if he reaches his ceiling itd be a different story but im assuming he ends up similar to a Ghost

Not really mandhandled. He got run from behind by Tkachuk right when he received a pass.

Hawaiibros

May 18, 2017
Yeah tkachuk hit him, and Hughes fell down, the pass to Hughes put him in a terrible position. Hughes couldn't get back in time and Greenway buried it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad