LD Quinton Hughes - U of Michigan, Big Ten (2018, 7th, VAN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Only play I haven't liked so far was Frederic catching him and stripping the puck from behind earlier. Plenty to like with him again tonight.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I have him as my #3 best prospect in the draft. His IQ, skating, ability to control play, and his potential impact in the NHL as an elite player leave very few doubts in my mind he will be a star in the NHL. Who knows maybe one day he will known as the best player in the draft. That's saying something with Dahlin and Svechnikov in the same class. But it wouldn't shock me if he proves this one day.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I have him as my #3 best prospect in the draft. His IQ, skating, ability to control play, and his potential impact in the NHL as an elite player leave very few doubts in my mind he will be a star in the NHL. Who knows maybe one day he will known as the best player in the draft. That's saying something with Dahlin and Svechnikov in the same class. But it wouldn't shock me if he proves this one day.

would you say he is like Brian Campbell (Probably the best 5'10 dman of the past 10 years)?

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015

Its weird to me that Tkachuk is consistently ranked higher in every draft ranking.

Its obvious that Hughes skillset dwarfs that of Brady.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Its weird to me that Tkachuk is consistently ranked higher in every draft ranking.

Its obvious that Hughes skillset dwarfs that of Brady.

I like Tkachuk, he's right there in the top 5 range. I think it's as you state. It's not an invalid concern for Hughes for a D man. There are other ways to play defence and be effective. Keith, Karlsson were not big guys either. And my comparable Brian Leetch wasn't either. Hughes will have to find his way of defending, but there is no question to me on talent level alone he is atleast in the top 3 of this draft.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Yeah, the talent is there. It’s weird to me that Brannstrom became such a trendy prospect last year, and everyone wanted to pump his tires... but there’s not much discussion on Hughes, who I think is better in every way. Same thing with Girard, despite having a historic season in the Q.

I guess his last name isn’t cool enough or something? Do we just assume small Euro defenseman > small NA defenseman?

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Yeah, the talent is there. It’s weird to me that Brannstrom became such a trendy prospect last year, and everyone wanted to pump his tires... but there’s not much discussion on Hughes, who I think is better in every way. Same thing with Girard, despite having a historic season in the Q.

I guess his last name isn’t cool enough or something? Do we just assume small Euro defenseman > small NA defenseman?

My guess is that there just isn't that many on this site that watch NCAA. He also didn't have an amazing WJC so that probably factors in when it comes to the lack of discussion. I think he's getting plenty of hype though from the people who have seen him. I mean I started this thread a year ago and touted him as a top10 pick with elite potential and whenever he's been in an international tournament and showed well there's been people in here hyping him. I think americans in general don't get that much hype on this site and again I think it largely comes down to a lot of people on HF not watching USHL and NCAA.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Is he likely to stay at 5'9 or is he still growing?

How tall are his parents?

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012

At 18 years old, I’d think he’s pretty much set in at 5’9... there are guys that might grow more but I don’t think Hughes will be one of them.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I still have some concerns for Hughes, but the talent is most definitely there. The Brian Leetch comparison is lofty, I do not see him anywhere close to Leetch's overall game yet...he isn't nearly as physical as Leetch was either, but on skating and vision, yeah I can see a comparison to be made.

I love the kid as much as the next guy, but he has some growing to do (no pun intended) in his in-zone play and decision making under pressure. He has plenty of time to become the player some expect him to be, I would be happy if he gets picked inside the top 10 as some teams still value size and have a hard time justifying a top 10 pick on a 5'10 dman.

If he goes top 5, when was the last time brothers got taken in back to back drafts inside the top 5? I am too lazy to check, but I cant imagine that happening too often over the past 30 years,

Reactions: Acadien86

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
If he goes top 5, when was the last time brothers got taken in back to back drafts inside the top 5? I am too lazy to check, but I cant imagine that happening too often over the past 30 years,

...and there's a third brother, currently 14 years old and playing for Little Caesars, who's supposedly playing better than Quinn did at the same age. Good genes!

ObscureAlien

May 1, 2016
I still have some concerns for Hughes, but the talent is most definitely there. The Brian Leetch comparison is lofty, I do not see him anywhere close to Leetch's overall game yet...he isn't nearly as physical as Leetch was either, but on skating and vision, yeah I can see a comparison to be made.

I love the kid as much as the next guy, but he has some growing to do (no pun intended) in his in-zone play and decision making under pressure. He has plenty of time to become the player some expect him to be, I would be happy if he gets picked inside the top 10 as some teams still value size and have a hard time justifying a top 10 pick on a 5'10 dman.

Schenn bros.

clevelandcane

Dec 30, 2011
Ohio
Quinn's skating is what is amazing to me. He is patient with the puck and very creative. He does lose track of his defensive responsibilities sometumes but I'd take him very high in the draft.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Quinn's skating is what is amazing to me. He is patient with the puck and very creative. He does lose track of his defensive responsibilities sometumes but I'd take him very high in the draft.

Yes, I would marvel at Quinn's skating ability when he played for the NTDP. He looked like a top talent winger or center out there -- not a defenseman.

Reactions: clevelandcane

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON

Off the top of my head:

Brayden & Luke Schenn
Ryan & Dylan Strome (4 years apart)
Sam & Griffin Reinhart (2 years apart)

Edit: Didn't see b2b.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

He may gain an inch or so - it's not unheard of for men to grow a bit in height after age 18, but he's still going to be very short by NHL standards. He already has some issues with bigger opponents taking advantage of reach and strength on him, but he does a pretty solid job compensating for it too. I was a big fan of Girard in his draft year, Hughes looks like he has better tools. To carry the Leetch idea a bit further, someone needs to be the Beukeboom to his Leetch when he arrives - a solid, physically able defender who can deal with the slot and pinning guys out so that Hughes can whisk in, swoop up the puck and jet up into the attack.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
For those who have watched him... would Torey Krug be a comparable?

Carries the puck up like josi, but completely different players besides that. Small speedster defenseman thats a great set-up man and nice hands. Not really any clear-cut nhl comparison IMO. Maybe Letang would be the best.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The good and the bad tonight - great effort on the goal for, loses his man for the goal against. Still love his skillset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad