LD Quinton Hughes - U of Michigan, Big Ten (2018, 7th, VAN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
Wonder if a team will sign him to an ELC before training camp.. Let him compete for an NHL job.. If he doesn't make it, just let him develop in the AHL that year.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
We're talking about this over on the Wings board. The rumor we heard was that not only did Hughes not participate in testing, but he also declined to be measured or weighed. Can anyone corroborate this?

If true, that's setting off alarm bells in my head.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
We're talking about this over on the Wings board. The rumor we heard was that not only did Hughes not participate in testing, but he also declined to be measured or weighed. Can anyone corroborate this?

Got a link to that board?

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

The Hockey News article linking to height and weight had him not weighing in or his height measured. With "worlds" in brackets.

How the **** does participating in the WHC impact his ability to have his height/weight measured?

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
Sounds like teams were not very impressed by Hughes attempt to hide his physical weaknesses. Using the World's as an excuse is a joke and I can't remember any guy using that in recent memory (the Memorial cup is a different story). Matthews, Eichel, Laine, etc all participated in the combine. This will raise some red flags.

Laine did?

I may be wrong but I thought he had a leg injury and didn't do anything

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Laine did?

I may be wrong but I thought he had a leg injury and didn't do anything
He did as much as he physically could. So, he did the bench press and the leg injury happen during the V02 Max test I'm pretty sure. So, he didn't skip out, he either got injured or re-aggravated a prior injury (believed to be the Cory Perry cheap shot).

He did the measurements and bench press.

Reactions: TeddyBare

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
The Hockey News article linking to height and weight had him not weighing in or his height measured. With "worlds" in brackets.

How the **** does participating in the WHC impact his ability to have his height/weight measured?

probably just did not participate in anything on the test floor including h/w measurements

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

Its a half ass excuse to avoid showing his weakness. Its typical for Memorial Cup guys to avoid, as they just played a pretty grueling schedule (which shows Dobson's willingness to compete), very rare for someone to avoid due to the Worlds.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Sounds like teams were not very impressed by Hughes attempt to hide his physical weaknesses. Using the World's as an excuse is a joke and I can't remember any guy using that in recent memory (the Memorial cup is a different story). Matthews, Eichel, Laine, etc all participated in the combine. This will raise some red flags.
He likened it to taking an exam without studying. I buy into it. Plus he's clearly doing it so he can fall to the Hawks :P

Reactions: CallMeShaft

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Yeah this is pretty weak.

This kid has advisors telling him not to do stuff.

His body fat percentage is the only thing he did.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Yeah this is pretty weak.

This kid has advisors telling him not to do stuff.

His body fat percentage is the only thing he did.
If people are trying to blame his main advisors that they should be blaming his Dad, who also works for Quinn’s agency (I should say advisor, as no contracts are signed to appease the NCAA) in player development.

Reactions: SI90

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
It’s odd because everyone knows he’s small so what’s the big deal? Maybe he’s smaller than he’s been listed?

To me when he was playing against men and the championships I actually thought he looked defend size wise. Didn’t look as small as I expected. I’m disappointed he didnt participate but I’m think he’s being advised by someone who told him not too. Pretty sad.

Reactions: ProspectsSTC

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

As an Islanders fan I hope it raises enough flags to have him drop to 11. lol

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Hughes won’t make it past 9

If his lack of participation in the combine has him drop a bit, either Chicago or the Rangers will take him and not look back

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
I doubt any of the NHL teams really care at all. Besides the interviews, the combine is next to pointless. Every team knows Hughes is somewhere between 5’8 and 5’10, i really dont think they care as much as hfboards posters think.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I doubt any of the NHL teams really care at all. Besides the interviews, the combine is next to pointless. Every team knows Hughes is somewhere between 5’8 and 5’10, i really dont think they care as much as hfboards posters think.

I agree. I don't see how this matters at all really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->