LD Quinton Hughes - U of Michigan, Big Ten (2018, 7th, VAN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
Why is he ranked as the 5th best d prospect in the draft via scouts? You want to know why? It's because people on these forums don't get to watch Dahlin in the SHL. I watched him here in the World Juniors. I didn't think the Sabres had a chance to get him at all so just shrugged his immense talent off. But when I saw that card turn over and it was the Sabres I cannot tell you how excited I was. He is will be the best dman the Sabres have ever had in my opinion. 5 d man have the potential to go top 10 in this years draft, they all have weaknesses except Dahlin. Dahlin could improve his shot but he has everything else including physicality which is important in the playoffs.

https://www.tsn.ca/the-big-four-solidify-spots-in-tsn-draft-ranking-1.1066345

He will be much higher in the next rankings IMO. Top 5 and he will be challenging for top 3 come draft day.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
That ranking was released before the WHC which is what I believe, will significantly improve his ranking.
If 1 tournament can change that many scouts minds that drastically, they weren't doing much scouting during the year.

*It was only 10 scouts, by no means a "Consensus". But if those same 10 scouts are polled, he shouldn't be able to jump from a tier by himself (Tier 5: Hughes) at 9 past two other tiers (Tier 4: Wahlstrom, Dobson, Boqvist) (Tier 3: Bouchard) into the top 5 on the back of a single tournament.

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
If 1 tournament can change that many scouts minds that drastically, they weren't doing much scouting during the year.

*It was only 10 scouts, by no means a "Consensus". But if those same 10 scouts are polled, he shouldn't be able to jump from a tier by himself (Tier 5: Hughes) at 9 past two other tiers (Tier 4: Wahlstrom, Dobson, Boqvist) (Tier 3: Bouchard) into the top 5 on the back of a single tournament.

During the year Hughes didn't play against NHL caliber players. Obviously the tournament is shorter; however, given how well he did against stronger competition, it has a much bigger impact IMO. One of the main concerns with Hughes was his capability to adapt to bigger players. He showed he could do it.

Reactions: Rimsky44

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
During the year Hughes didn't play against NHL caliber players. Obviously the tournament is shorter; however, given how well he did against stronger competition, it has a much bigger impact IMO. One of the main concerns with Hughes was his capability to adapt to bigger players. He showed he could do it.
None of these guys are playing against NHL calibre players, the whole point of the draft is projection. Yes, his play against bigger guys was a concern, but this tournament doesn't drastically change his projection that guys have formed over the past 3 years (he was a consensus top 10 pick for a reason).

I would imagine he may move ahead of Wahlstrom and possibly Boqvist in Bob's final ranking, with Kotkaniemi possibly moving ahead of him as well. Should sit in the 8-9 slot come June on his list, but I would be completely blown away if he was in the top 5.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
nah, just some people might think that a kid who has not played on North American ice, might have a bit of a transition period here especially at a position that typically takes time to develop...but the funny thing is you somehow think that I have the opinion that Dahlin won't be good or whatever...it boggles the mind sometimes on here when someone can just point out that a difference of opinion is good, and that not every #1 overall pick has panned out to be the best player from that draft regardless of how HF/scouting said he would be.

I think Dahlin will be a wonderful player, but just because someone has been ranked #1 for a while, especially at defense, doesn't mean other players over their career will not have a chance to pass him by. It has happened before and it will happen again.
From this you say your reasoning for Dahlin potentially not being as good as Hughes is:
The difference in the NA game
That not all #1 over picks pan out to be the best player from that draft
A difference of opinion is good
The difference in the NA game doesn't effect players of certain calibers. If anything, he'll thrive in a tighter game as he covers a ton of ground and can work out of a phone booth.
Not all #1 picks pan out, so that somehow depicts how good Dahlin is versus Hughes? That's an absurd statement that makes zero sense and I regret having spent even this much time discussing it. (I mean, fine, let's pretend and just make Hughes the #1 pick. Well, guess what? Not all #1 picks pan out? Like, wtf are you even trying to say here?)
Differences of opinions are good when the opinion is a well reasoned and thought out, with insight and at least a different angle on the matter.
You do just take random shots in the dark at far fetched predictions and hope they stick, so apparently you can bring them up years past and cite them as some sort of proof you're an expert.

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
None of these guys are playing against NHL calibre players, the whole point of the draft is projection. Yes, his play against bigger guys was a concern, but this tournament doesn't change his projection that guys have formed over the past 3 years (he was a consensus top 10 pick for a reason).

I would imagine he may move ahead of Wahlstrom and possibly Boqvist in Bob's final ranking, with Kotkaniemi possibly moving ahead of him as well. Should sit in the 8-9 slot come June on his list, but I would be completely blown away if he was in the top 5.

Fair enough, I could see him ranking in that area too. I just think his talent level is up there with the big 3 but hey, that's just my opinion. The fact that Tkatchuk is ranked ahead of him is mind boggling to me. Not saying I don't think Tkatchuk will be a good player. In fact, I think he gets a lot of unwarranted hate around here. That being said, I just see something special in Hughes. I saw 6-7 of his games in the NCAA and he was unbelievable. Yes, he can be risky at times but he has game breaking capability and I'm pretty confident he will be dominant in the NHL.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
From this you say your reasoning for Dahlin potentially not being as good as Hughes is:
The difference in the NA game
That not all #1 over picks pan out to be the best player from that draft
A difference of opinion is good
The difference in the NA game doesn't effect players of certain calibers. If anything, he'll thrive in a tighter game as he covers a ton of ground and can work out of a phone booth.
Not all #1 picks pan out, so that somehow depicts how good Dahlin is versus Hughes? That's an absurd statement that makes zero sense and I regret having spent even this much time discussing it. (I mean, fine, let's pretend and just make Hughes the #1 pick. Well, guess what? Not all #1 picks pan out? Like, wtf are you even trying to say here?)
Differences of opinions are good when the opinion is a well reasoned and thought out, with insight and at least a different angle on the matter.
You do just take random shots in the dark at far fetched predictions and hope they stick, so apparently you can bring them up years past and cite them as some sort of proof you're an expert.
I am going to end this with you - show me where I said Hughes is better than Dahlin or anything involving Hughes vs Dahlin??? Once you find that, please let me know.

Save face, move on you are just embarrassing yourself at this point by completely not understanding any of the discussions some of us have had on here...good luck to you in life.

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
I am going to end this with you - show me where I said Hughes is better than Dahlin or anything involving Hughes vs Dahlin??? Once you find that, please let me know.

Save face, move on you are just embarrassing yourself at this point by completely not understanding any of the discussions some of us have had on here...good luck to you in life.

rager

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
The fact that people truly think Hughes is on Dahlin's level is pretty strong proof of recency bias at work on these forums lately. It's like people don't remember how good Dahlin is. It's just not as vivid as the idea of how good Hughes is, as it's a couple of months removed now. That's ancient history in prospect world. All this despite Dahlin being markedly better in what is pretty close to objective terms.

Reactions: Favster

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
The fact that people truly think Hughes is on Dahlin's level is pretty strong proof of recency bias at work on these forums lately. It's like people don't remember how good Dahlin is. It's just not as vivid as the idea of how good Hughes is, as it's a couple of months removed now. That's ancient history in prospect world. All this despite Dahlin being markedly better in what is pretty close to objective terms.
Tournaments like these always give players a boost or get lowered depending on how they perform.

I personally don't think it is about Hughes vs Dahlin anymore, what this tournament did was ease a lot of fears for those who either haven't really seen this kid or were just worried he would get pushed around by grown men, and those are gone. What has happened is that Hughes has now elevated himself from that player that has some really great skill sets but one massive flaw (his size) to a player that can handle tougher/bigger competition while showcasing his ability in all three zones and no major flaws.

Again, it isn't about Hughes vs Dahlin, what just happened was Hughes PROVED himself out there and now has risen to what is likely the 2nd defensemen off the board, and by being that by default he will get compared with Dahlin as it seems Hughes is the next best thing. Agree with it or don't, but there was one 18 year out there playing big minutes for a medal against a team full of NHL stars - that kid shined pretty bright.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
NHLers playing at half-speed on big ice in a tournament most North Americans don't care about. Yes, Hughes looked alright out there, but pump the brakes a bit. The intensity level out there for most of the tournament was on level with the NHL preseason.

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
NHLers playing at half-speed on big ice in a tournament most North Americans don't care about. Yes, Hughes looked alright out there, but pump the brakes a bit. The intensity level out there for most of the tournament was on level with the NHL preseason.

players in no mood to get hurt

greatest shinny tournament running

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
yep, nobody cared out there..lol...keep moving the goal posts we get it already

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
yep, nobody cared out there..lol...keep moving the goal posts we get it already

lol, it isn't moving the goalposts. If you think those games had any kind of intensity, then I don't know what to tell ya.

I like Hughes. Kid has a great set of tools, and if he could hit a growth spurt and hit the magical 6-foot mark, the kid would be a guaranteed star in the league. But the only way he's going to match Dahlin is if Dahlin fails expectations.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
lol, it isn't moving the goalposts. If you think those games had any kind of intensity, then I don't know what to tell ya.

I like Hughes. Kid has a great set of tools, and if he could hit a growth spurt and hit the magical 6-foot mark, the kid would be a guaranteed star in the league. But the only way he's going to match Dahlin is if Dahlin fails expectations.
Jesus Christ, did you watch any of it?????

who gives a shit if he matches Dahlin....1 or 2 people are saying anything close to that, I am talking about proving you can play with NHL talent., and he did...but again, diminish the kid because you didn't think the players were trying out there...I guess you missed all the dirty hits, huge collisions, back and forth battles and just utter disgust on the faces of the Canadian players, Finland, etc after loses...nobody gave a shit, got it...

Reactions: Favster

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

Compared to SC playoffs? Agree.

Compared to regular season? Easily as intense, probably a bit more between competitive countries.

Maybe the rink size is throwing you??

forty47seven

May 2, 2009
Hughes didn't look out of place at the WC but I wouldn't say he did anything to put himself in the conversation for top 3. He was the 7th US defender averaging 12 mins a night in a sheltered role. Hughes was always paired with Kane's line. He had two secondary assists (Kane with both primary) in 10 games and averaged less than a shot per game. The majority of his minutes came against less than NHL caliber competition; He was shielded from playing against the other team's best players when he did. Hughes didn't touched the ice against likes of Draisaitl, Pastrnak, Rakell, McDavid, Aho, ect.

Compared to SC playoffs? Agree.

Compared to regular season? Easily as intense, probably a bit more between competitive countries.

Maybe the rink size is throwing you??

Yeah man, A Latvian playing for his country isn't going to phone it in, especially if it's against Russia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->