LD Quinton Hughes - U of Michigan, Big Ten (2018, 7th, VAN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NekkiChiconey

Mar 17, 2016
Lisbon
The advantages Dahlin has over Hughes are : Better shot, Bigger (which includes reach...), Better hands.
The advantages Hughes has over Dahlin are : Better skating and the fact that he played on an NHL-sized rink all year.
No, Hughes will never be as good OVERALL as Dahlin, because he will never have his size and shot. However, he still has an amazing hockey sense, he is probably the best skater of the draft and one of the best passers. If he was 6'2" and 200 pounds he would clearly be in the conversation for 1st or 2nd. But he is not. So he will still be a great player in his own way, but not as complete as Dahlin.

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
The advantages Dahlin has over Hughes are : Better shot, Bigger (which includes reach...), Better hands.
The advantages Hughes has over Dahlin are : Better skating and the fact that he played on an NHL-sized rink all year.
No, Hughes will never be as good OVERALL as Dahlin, because he will never have his size and shot. However, he still has an amazing hockey sense, he is probably the best skater of the draft and one of the best passers. If he was 6'2" and 200 pounds he would clearly be in the conversation for 1st or 2nd. But he is not. So he will still be a great player in his own way, but not as complete as Dahlin.
you literally can't say that type of things... he wouln't what his skating abilities if he was 6'2 200 pounds at 18 year old,

dahlin and him are realy not comparable. i realy like Quiton hughes and feel like he will be a realy good Offensive Dman in the league but he's a prospect we've seen before. Something we can't say about Dahlin.

Reactions: 1972

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007
you literally can't say that type of things... he wouln't what his skating abilities if he was 6'2 200 pounds at 18 year old,

dahlin and him are realy not comparable. i realy like Quiton hughes and feel like he will be a realy good Offensive Dman in the league but he's a prospect we've seen before. Something we can't say about Dahlin.

After further analysis (through youtube mind you), I find that Dahlin and Hughes are closer than a lot of people thinks. I'd still go with Dahlin first because he obviously has better tools but Hughes has the potential to be an offensive dynamo and game changer for his team. He is clearly my number 2 dman after Dahlin.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
After further analysis (through youtube mind you), I find that Dahlin and Hughes are closer than a lot of people thinks. I'd still go with Dahlin first because he obviously has better tools but Hughes has the potential to be an offensive dynamo and game changer for his team. He is clearly my number 2 dman after Dahlin.

Yeah it's pretty much the only way for us to work with as house scouts lol. Dahlin has much better hands, shot and hockey IQ, only thing Hughes as on Dahlin is top speed, i still believe dahlin has better edgework, specially with the puck. hughes as underrated defensive abilities, But take in note, eveything dahlin has done, from 16 year old was against Men.

You never know in terms of developpement, maybe Hughes is gonna skyrock. As for now, Dahlin is playing a 100% new era game and is a never seen defensive prospect. like i said who knows maybe he's developpement is gonna stagger at a young age and will be a good Dman, but if he developpement curve keeps going, im not afraid to say he might become the best Dman in the last 20 years.
He's Mcdavid type of talent, difference is we've never seen this type of high end prospect on the back end, thats the scary part, they usaly realy good prospect who becomes GREAT defensement. so whats the future of a GREAT prospect can become?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Is saying you had Galchenyuk number one overall a good thing? Because that’s a big miss on your part too. Dahlin is much more like a Matthews, Eichel or MacKinnon then a Yakupov. Dahlin isn’t going to be a bust.
I am not sure you are understanding what I am saying with Yakupov/Galchenyuk. People felt Yakupov was the clear cut #1, I felt he wasn't. You got laughed at like some are now when saying ANY (insert name) player should go ahead of Yakupov in that draft...I believed Galchenyuk should have, and regardless of the name or names that should have gone ahead of him, HF flocks like sheep to the norm and bashes other perspectives...

I don't get paid to scout 300 players, but seeing the issues i saw with Yakupov and what I saw with Galchenyuk it was clear to me he was better..so how I could miss on that is beyond me lol...Yakupov was held in very high regard on here, funny how it is crickets with him now.

and no I am not saying Dahlin will bust at all, just look at each and every draft, I would venture to say that close to the majority of the time the #1 pick does not turn out to be the best player from that draft, but apparently you know that Dahlin will be like Matthews and Eichel prior to stepping a foot on NHL ice...hmmmm, funny heard pretty similar stuff towards Yakupov and others as well...

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
Hughes is better in the new NHL, Dahlin would of been in the old NHL. - This is only opinion.

It's definitely a bold opinion. I see where you're coming from with the whole "speed" trend in the NHL, and Quinn is a better skater than Dahlin, but not by very much. And it's probably the only category he has Dahlin beat in. And I'll sacrifice a bit of speed for increases in every other aspect.

I think Dahlin will be 2 tiers above Hughes his entire career. With Dahlin being on his own level. I think Karlsson is a good tool to use as a comparison. Hughes might get to the level of like one tier below where Karlsson is, where Dahlin could easily be a tier above EK. And more complete.

Not a knock on Hughes at all, who i want my sens to take @ 4. But Dahlin is quite a bit ahead IMO.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
It's definitely a bold opinion. I see where you're coming from with the whole "speed" trend in the NHL, and Quinn is a better skater than Dahlin, but not by very much. And it's probably the only category he has Dahlin beat in. And I'll sacrifice a bit of speed for increases in every other aspect.

I think Dahlin will be 2 tiers above Hughes his entire career. With Dahlin being on his own level. I think Karlsson is a good tool to use as a comparison. Hughes might get to the level of like one tier below where Karlsson is, where Dahlin could easily be a tier above EK. And more complete.

Not a knock on Hughes at all, who i want my sens to take @ 4. But Dahlin is quite a bit ahead IMO.

Lets see how it all turns out.

Over the years, there have been prospects when almost everyone has said; he is the best or better than so and so,
yet there's always sleepers, or top 10 picks who outshine the first 3 picks, etc, etc., in reality; we can only speculate :) .

Yes, the assumption is that Dahlin is better and will have a better career, however...
i am not sure how many actually understands how much the new NHL is different to the old one.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I am not sure you are understanding what I am saying with Yakupov/Galchenyuk. People felt Yakupov was the clear cut #1, I felt he wasn't. You got laughed at like some are now when saying ANY (insert name) player should go ahead of Yakupov in that draft...I believed Galchenyuk should have, and regardless of the name or names that should have gone ahead of him, HF flocks like sheep to the norm and bashes other perspectives...

I don't get paid to scout 300 players, but seeing the issues i saw with Yakupov and what I saw with Galchenyuk it was clear to me he was better..so how I could miss on that is beyond me lol...Yakupov was held in very high regard on here, funny how it is crickets with him now.

and no I am not saying Dahlin will bust at all, just look at each and every draft, I would venture to say that close to the majority of the time the #1 pick does not turn out to be the best player from that draft, but apparently you know that Dahlin will be like Matthews and Eichel prior to stepping a foot on NHL ice...hmmmm, funny heard pretty similar stuff towards Yakupov and others as well...

Lol.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

Over the years, there have been prospects when almost everyone has said; he is the best or better than so and so,
yet there's always sleepers, or top 10 picks who outshine the first 3 picks, etc, etc., in reality; we can only speculate :) .

Yes, the assumption is that Dahlin is better and will have a better career, however...
i am not sure how many actually understands how much the new NHL is different to the old one.

Do you think that this new NHL doesn't favour Dahlin's skillset or something?

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015

You have never watched Dahlin play, have you?

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015

Makes sense. Be right once with one idea, means you deserve all the credibility for all future opinions? It doesn’t.. ... unless you illuminate specifically why, with that prediction and this one, your reasoning. Otherwise, you just as may have shut your eyes and tossed a dart at the board.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

WpgBuffan

Jun 9, 2008
I think Hughes will end up being the 5th best defenceman in this draft behind Dahlin, Boqvist, Bouchard, and Dobson. How many times have we seen the 2nd defenceman taken end up way behind other defenceman?

What is more likely to happen. Hughes being better then Dahlin or my statement above?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Makes sense. Be right once with one idea, means you deserve all the credibility for all future opinions? It doesn’t.. ... unless you illuminate specifically why, with that prediction and this one, your reasoning. Otherwise, you just as may have shut your eyes and tossed a dart at the board.
nah, just some people might think that a kid who has not played on North American ice, might have a bit of a transition period here especially at a position that typically takes time to develop...but the funny thing is you somehow think that I have the opinion that Dahlin won't be good or whatever...it boggles the mind sometimes on here when someone can just point out that a difference of opinion is good, and that not every #1 overall pick has panned out to be the best player from that draft regardless of how HF/scouting said he would be.

I think Dahlin will be a wonderful player, but just because someone has been ranked #1 for a while, especially at defense, doesn't mean other players over their career will not have a chance to pass him by. It has happened before and it will happen again.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Hey... it’s the “When you have no argument, just use this!” bit from the I don’t know what I’m talking about guide book.
Hey....it's the "I have no idea what I am talking about, so I am going to stick my nose in other posters debates!!" bit from the "I think my opinion some how matters on here guide book."

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Yes, as it should be.

Why is he ranked as the 5th best d prospect in the draft via scouts? You want to know why? It's because people on these forums don't get to watch Dahlin in the SHL. I watched him here in the World Juniors. I didn't think the Sabres had a chance to get him at all so just shrugged his immense talent off. But when I saw that card turn over and it was the Sabres I cannot tell you how excited I was. He is will be the best dman the Sabres have ever had in my opinion. 5 d man have the potential to go top 10 in this years draft, they all have weaknesses except Dahlin. Dahlin could improve his shot but he has everything else including physicality which is important in the playoffs.

https://www.tsn.ca/the-big-four-solidify-spots-in-tsn-draft-ranking-1.1066345

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad