LD Quinton Hughes - U of Michigan, Big Ten (2018, 7th, VAN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Another year where a prospect gets overrated because they're still playing Hockey in the Summer and most of their peers are not. Funny how so many of you thought Hughes was better than Dahlin this entire time, you just didn't want to say anything for reasons unknown. I imagine that most scouts also have Hughes over Dahlin but are just too afraid to say so. This is starting to remind me of 3 years ago at this time when Jack Eichel was playing well on the 3rd line at the very same tournament and all of the expert armchair scouts proclaimed they knew Eichel was better than McDavid this entire time!

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Another year where a prospect gets overrated because they're still playing Hockey in the Summer and most of their peers are not. Funny how so many of you thought Hughes was better than Dahlin this entire time, you just didn't want to say anything for reasons unknown. I imagine that most scouts also have Hughes over Dahlin but are just too afraid to say so. This is starting to remind me of 3 years ago at this time when Jack Eichel was playing well on the 3rd line at the very same tournament and all of the expert armchair scouts proclaimed they knew Eichel was better than McDavid this entire time!

That pass completion percentage tho

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
the game is changing, youth is king again and defenders are entering the league earlier than the past 15 years. guys like Werenski, Hanifin, McAvoy are proving you can succeed as a teenager in the NHL.

I think Dahlin will have some adjustments needed and likely will not have the biggest impact next year, but he surely makes the NHL for the Sabres and plays in their top 4, that isn't up for debate for me. He just likely will not be a top rookie based on how hard it is for a rookie defender to play a dominant role right out the gate..McAvoy is the exception and not the rule...I didn't think I would even say Hughes could play in the NHL next year, but after watching his 2nd half of his NCAA season and now his WC performance, there is no doubt in my mind he can play 14-16 minutes a night used similar to what Butcher was in NJ. Anyone arguing this hasn't seen the kid actually play and is only going by size and other non factors.

I would love to have either of these kids, I am not going to get into a pissing match over who is better or will have the better career, both will have a bright NHL future and Hughes is making a case to start his earlier than originally expected.

Last edited:

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Funny how so many of you thought Hughes was better than Dahlin this entire time,

giphy.gif

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
It’s a common theme on this board.

Step One: Not watch any games

Step Two: Look up the prospect on Elite Prospects and statwatch

Step Three: Make a post that says something along the line of how you always knew he was good or that you knew he would be this good when he has a moment in the spotlight

Step Four: Get angry when people with your opinion

Rinse & Repeat

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
This is stupid, Quinn Hughes is no where near as good as Rasmus Dahlin, I cant believe this is even being discussed.

Quinn Hughes is a very good prospect, and had my team been selecting 4th would have been a strong consideration, but there’s zero consideration of him as the number 1 pick.

Dahlin isn’t as good as a skater, but he’s still an elite skater in his own right. He’s got superior hockey sense, much better fundamentals, size, better shot, better defender etc...

The gap between the two isn’t small, some of you just don’t have a clue how to evaluate a defender besides pointz and it’s silly to put these expectations on Hughes.

There’s a reason this is the “Rasmus Dahlin” draft because he’s that good.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
I watched Hughes and Dahlin last summer at the showcase. Hughes impressed me more. That's nothing against Dahlin every scout has him as the best Swede since Lidstrom. Might prove to be true. He seems like a good kid and has tons of talent. Using the eye test from last summer I think Hughes will be better than Dahlin and his brother Jack who will probably be the overall number 1 next season. Scouts have been wrong before and so have I...lol Good luck to both players.

I think the best player next year is the Finn Kaapo Kakko. Time will tell.
I won't address the Quinn Hughes versus Dahlin point, as enough people have already done that. But better than his brother Jack also seems pretty outrageous to me, too. Many scouts have said Jack is the only player who could challenge Dahlin for first overall THIS DRAFT if he were eligible. He's shattered every NTDP record for a first year player in the program, too, and there have been some damn fine players in that program.

Last edited:

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Dahlin is certainly the better player but I don't think the gap is as big as some may think. When we compare their careers 5 years from now, I don't think they'll be so far apart.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I was laughed at when I said I would take Galchenyuk #1 overall and that Yakupov would bust out...just because a player is ranked #1 doesn't mean they will be #1 no matter how good they look right now. none of us can predict the future, but there is a pretty good chance of someone rising above Dahlin (or most # 1's) outside of our generational players over their careers.

I think Dahlin is better than Hughes right now, but I am not going to be a fool and try and predict the future on how these guys pan out...it isn't laughable to suggest someone could be better than Dahlin down the road, same for what I heard between Yakupov and Galchenyuk...and please don't say that Yakupov wasn't highly touted, he absolutely was.

These kids have to play the game at the NHL level, anything is possible no matter what we think is the correct opinion to have right now.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I think Hughes could come in and be more productive right off the bat than Dahlin, but I think Dahlin is quite clearly the best talent in this draft. His size, shooting ability, and defensive play makes him way more complete, but Hughes has a chance to be just as dynamic as a puck mover- perhaps even more so.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
ok hughes >> dahlin
happy
yeah because that's what the majority are saying here...1 or 2 people are making those claims, I do not think that will be the case but if you can tell the future I am all ears...
but yes Hughes is way overrated now (your prior post) as he is showing he can play against men....it's all good, same old song and dance on here...

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
From guys who do this 40-50 hours a week for years on end watching these guys play. Stop this madness. If Hughes was that good he would be getting talked about like this.

https://www.tsn.ca/the-big-four-solidify-spots-in-tsn-draft-ranking-1.1066345

"Dahlin was the unanimous choice of TSN’s panel of 10 NHL scouts in the preseason rankings in September, as he was in the mid-season rankings in late January and now yet again in the Draft Lottery Edition Top 15 rankings that have been compiled specifically in honour of Saturday’s lottery."

"Dahlin made his debut in the professional ranks as a 16 year old; one of the youngest ever to suit up in the Swedish Hockey League. He broke the mould when he suited up in the WJC at that age, and then shattered it altogether when he got selected to the Swedish Olympic Team in PyeongChang."

"While every highlight reel will include his dangles in the offensive zone, his defensive work is very good. It’s something that was visible in this year’s World Junior Championship, where he took a more defensive role than the previous year, claiming the award as the tournament’s best defenceman.

That focus on defending was the same in the SHL, yet Dahlin still matched Victor Hedman’s draft-year output, and doubled what Erik Karlsson recorded the season after being selected in the first round by the Ottawa Senators. It is against these two Swedish defencemen that Dahlin is being measured as a prospect, something that should bode well for the team that drafts him."

"He defends like Lidström, skates like Karlsson," Ray Ferraro (TSN) 2017

"During a Wings game in March, Lidstrom said Dahlin is better than Lidstrom was when he was Dahlin’s age. "

"Dahlin could be the best all-around defenseman chosen No. 1 overall since Denis Potvin in 1973."

2018 NHL Draft prospect profile: Rasmus Dahlin is in a league of his own

Last edited:

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
From guys who do this 40-50 hours a week for years on end watching these guys play.

https://www.tsn.ca/the-big-four-solidify-spots-in-tsn-draft-ranking-1.1066345

"Dahlin was the unanimous choice of TSN’s panel of 10 NHL scouts in the preseason rankings in September, as he was in the mid-season rankings in late January and now yet again in the Draft Lottery Edition Top 15 rankings that have been compiled specifically in honour of Saturday’s lottery."

shhhh cant do that here you will get ripped

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I was laughed at when I said I would take Galchenyuk #1 overall and that Yakupov would bust out...just because a player is ranked #1 doesn't mean they will be #1 no matter how good they look right now. none of us can predict the future, but there is a pretty good chance of someone rising above Dahlin (or most # 1's) outside of our generational players over their careers.

I think Dahlin is better than Hughes right now, but I am not going to be a fool and try and predict the future on how these guys pan out...it isn't laughable to suggest someone could be better than Dahlin down the road, same for what I heard between Yakupov and Galchenyuk...and please don't say that Yakupov wasn't highly touted, he absolutely was.

These kids have to play the game at the NHL level, anything is possible no matter what we think is the correct opinion to have right now.

Is saying you had Galchenyuk number one overall a good thing? Because that’s a big miss on your part too. Dahlin is much more like a Matthews, Eichel or MacKinnon then a Yakupov. Dahlin isn’t going to be a bust.

Last edited:

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I think Hughes is awesome but Dahlin is a better player and prospect at this point - that cannot even be disputed rationally.

However, I think Hughes will be a star NHL player and a completely tier above players like Jake Gardiner, who is blessed with million dollar skills and a 10 cent hockey brain.

Just for arguments sake, if Dahlin ends up "Lidstrom", I think Hughes could end up "Zubov".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad