LD Quinton Hughes - U of Michigan, Big Ten (2018, 7th, VAN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
He put on a show today against Team Sweden. Hughes was the most dominant player on the ice by a wide margin. He's an electric skater with fantastic hands. Hopefully he grows a bit more, but he's a dynamic player.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
I agree the guy is a high 1st round talent for the draft but right now IMO it is hard ranking him there because of his size...to me it is the same situation as Samuel Girard, amazing talent but size just is not there. I personally think if he does not grow like Girard will be a high 2nd round pick that way takes some of the risk of using a 1st rounder on him....to me size is not everything but being on defense it does count a bit....if he was 6'00 tall I would be talking this guy up for a top 5 spot in the draft probably.

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
I agree the guy is a high 1st round talent for the draft but right now IMO it is hard ranking him there because of his size...to me it is the same situation as Samuel Girard, amazing talent but size just is not there. I personally think if he does not grow like Girard will be a high 2nd round pick that way takes some of the risk of using a 1st rounder on him....to me size is not everything but being on defense it does count a bit....if he was 6'00 tall I would be talking this guy up for a top 5 spot in the draft probably.

Hughes is excellent defending the rush thanks to excellent foot speed stick work. I think he'll be fine with his size with the way he plays D. But I agree that growing a couple inches would only raise his stock.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Hughes is excellent defending the rush thanks to excellent foot speed stick work. I think he'll be fine with his size with the way he plays D. But I agree that growing a couple inches would only raise his stock.
oh I think too he will be fine with his size and play, I personally think he is way more skilled than another smaller defender taken first round in Ryan Ellis...I just think it is hard to rank him high in the draft when his body type looks like it is one of the hard to put on size type body but I think a lot will come down to next year, he is ultra skilled and smart, the NHL is a lot of strong strong guys, it takes a certain body to survive it, some smaller players (defenders or forwards) have survived it and some great smaller players where not able to, it is a gamble...it still will not stop a team from taking him 1st round though if they feel heavy on it.

like said I'm not hung up on size...a guy who is 5'10 and skilled is gold IMO, forwards can get away easier than a defender being smaller though...but Hughes does have the skating, IQ and awareness that add up to success for smaller guys. When all comes down to it, I do think a team will take him 1st round....I think he is a guy he should not be rushed to the bigs though.

Last edited:

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
My first time watching this kid today, playing for a US split squad vs Finland - very impressive. On this day Dahlin didn't outshine him.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
My first time watching this kid today, playing for a US split squad vs Finland - very impressive. On this day Dahlin didn't outshine him.

Why was Dahlin playing for the Finnish team for some reason? I thought USA doesn't play Sweden until later today?

Edit: nevermind it's started awhile ago. For some reason I thought it was later. I was gonna watch it.

Last edited:

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
I've seen ~10 games with Hughes now for USA, he's been atleast a top 3 player on the ice every single game, he's ridiculously good and consistent.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Rising up the rankings for me with the performances he's put in. A little height and he'll be a top 10 lock honestly.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
If he was a few weeks older he would have been #1 2017 for me, quite easily too.

Haha I wouldn't go that far, but he would be up there. I'd think that it helps him this way get an extra year to grow and fill out as supposed to being drafted this year more raw and unproven.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
For some context, i had Brännström ranked #4 :)

I'd take Hughes over Hischier/Patrick easily if i had the choice right now.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
For some context, i had Brännström ranked #4 :)

I'd take Hughes over Hischier/Patrick easily if i had the choice right now.

You're Swedish though ;)

Just saying, teams would be skeptical on his physical size much like Makar.

Another year like he's getting here would be beneficial.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
What does me being Swedish have to do with me thinking Hughes is amazing? :)
Added Brännström for context because they're kinda similar style players.

I don't care what teams would do, i'm saying that me personally would have ranked Hughes #1.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
What does me being Swedish have to do with me thinking Hughes is amazing? :)
Added Brännström for context because they're kinda similar style players.

I don't care what teams would do, i'm saying that me personally would have ranked Hughes #1.

I was just playing, very risk/reward type player. Would've been around Makar for me. Will be lower this year with the higher top end talent and very deep defensive run.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
If he dominates U20 like he did U18 then he'll force his way into the top 10 no matter how strong this draft class is.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I currently have him at 10. He reminds me of Brannstrom with more offensive skill. Similar style of play and skating ability.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Yup, he's very similar in style to Brännström, just slightly better overall.
Destroying Sweden so far today.

joshik

In Duchene we believe
Jul 1, 2017
Czech Republic
Both brothers are very good. I could see them both in top5 in their drafts. Jack is right now the best prospect for 2019 draft IMO.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
He's a dynamic player. He's playing his way into a big role on the WJC team. Very similar player to Gostisbehere, although Hughes is more advanced at the same age.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->