Prospect Info: Niko Mikkola (127th Overall in 2015) - Signs 2 year ELC

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
When I say unimpressed I mean, that he wasn’t as noticeably as I had been led to believe. He was a solid defensive defenseman who can skate well for his size and plays gritty in the paint. He will be a nice addition for defensive depth but expectations of pushing for a roster spot should be tempered.

Additionally I am not from KY, from KCMO actually, just lived in Kentucky during medical school when I made my account. Perhaps I’m due for a name change since I’m in Michigan now...

Apologies for the mischaracterization. It was just some light teasing, more aimed at Ranksu than you. I think those of us that have seen Mikkola would agree with your assessment. He is good depth that could use some time in the AHL. He does have some good upside due to physical traits. However, we would be surprised if he made an immediate impact. Then their is our resident Finn who hypes all Finns. He is right sometimes (Laine) but other times not so much (Lindbohm)

Reactions: The Note in Ky

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I haven't watched any of his games, so I appreciate the input from people who have. Regardless of whether Note in KY or Ranksu is closer to accurate, I'm pleased with what I'm hearing in this thread. Expectations are exceedingly low for 5th round picks, so I'll happily take 'a nice addition for defensive depth' for a 21 year old D man drafted in the 5th round. I don't expect him to push for a roster spot next year, but would be thrilled if he can contribute at the AHL level and get closer to pushing for a roster spot next year. That's exciting.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Jeesus ofc I've biased opinion about Mikkola or every finn player in NHL. So ofc you guys needs to filter something what I say, but doesn't that been the obvious case all years what I've been here?

But I like how you guys keep pushing me and rag me about it. Tho you can't compare Lindbohm vs. Mikkola at any day. They do have some similarity, but Mikkola's potential is pretty much top4 dmen who'll be dmen who'll take biggest load of icetime at PK and shutdown opposite team forwards. He'll never be 50 point dmen, but you can see in his game that he is eager to take a part on o-zone plays and cycles. He doesn't have Parayko slapper, but its good one. His weakest link in his game is carrying the puck, 'cus in his gamestyle is fast and simple passes, nothing flashy. But when he decides to hold the puck and make a plays, he has skills to do it. Tonight it showed well when he hold the puck, and make it room for himself when there was no passing lane and do it Pietro's foot work at blueline east - west and shoot the puck. He's in couple days 22-years old. 22-years old. He has time and room for mature and progress.

I just say he has his flaws, but 5th round pick, we've really black horse on our prospect pool. Stacked at dmens. Btw which leaves out maybe, maybe we could re-evaluate our dmen prospect pool after training camp who's expendable and could use him to trade package in bigger deal. :)

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
Jeesus ofc I've biased opinion about Mikkola or every finn player in NHL. So ofc you guys needs to filter something what I say, but doesn't that been the obvious case all years what I've been here?

But I like how you guys keep pushing me and rag me about it. Tho you can't compare Lindbohm vs. Mikkola at any day. They do have some similarity, but Mikkola's potential is pretty much top4 dmen who'll be dmen who'll take biggest load of icetime at PK and shutdown opposite team forwards. He'll never be 50 point dmen, but you can see in his game that he is eager to take a part on o-zone plays and cycles. He doesn't have Parayko slapper, but its good one. His weakest link in his game is carrying the puck, 'cus in his gamestyle is fast and simple passes, nothing flashy. But when he decides to hold the puck and make a plays, he has skills to do it. Tonight it showed well when he hold the puck, and make it room for himself when there was no passing lane and do it Pietro's foot work at blueline east - west and shoot the puck. He's in couple days 22-years old. 22-years old. He has time and room for mature and progress.

I just say he has his flaws, but 5th round pick, we've really black horse on our prospect pool. Stacked at dmens. Btw which leaves out maybe, maybe we could re-evaluate our dmen prospect pool after training camp who's expendable and could use him to trade package in bigger deal. :)

This I can certainly agree with. And I don’t think anyone means you any I’ll will with the Finn related comments it’s mostly light hearted fun I think.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
5th game going on, 3-1 Kärpät leading series. Tappara leading already.

I call you Mikkola! :bb:

Watch and learn how he plays. #78 is Mikkola number.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I believe he was already signed last year and then give out as a loan. Someone will be able to correct me if I am wrong.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I believe he was already signed last year and then give out as a loan. Someone will be able to correct me if I am wrong.
According to CapFriendly, he is not under contract but is on our reserve list. They show that we have until June 1, 2019 to sign him, so I imagine they will address that this summer.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
According to CapFriendly, he is not under contract but is on our reserve list. They show that we have until June 1, 2019 to sign him, so I imagine they will address that this summer.

Correct. He is not under contract, but will be eligible for an ELC still, not sure if it will be a 1 or 2-year thing though.

Liiga and the NHL have an agreement that lets players out of their Liiga contracts to head to North America, so his Kalpa contract shouldn’t be any hindrance, I.e. no buyout necessary

My guess is he signs, comes to camp, makes a case for himself, and ends up in San Antonio as an injury call-up. I doubt he’s able to take anybody’s spot yet, although crazier things have happened.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
From what I remember, all parties involved agreed that staying in Europe was best for him given out AHL situation last year. I doubt there will be any issue with getting him here this year

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Correct. He is not under contract, but will be eligible for an ELC still, not sure if it will be a 1 or 2-year thing though.

Liiga and the NHL have an agreement that lets players out of their Liiga contracts to head to North America, so his Kalpa contract shouldn’t be any hindrance, I.e. no buyout necessary

He is signed for Tappara (for another year, if he stays), not KalPa. KalPa was his 2016-17 team.

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
Ranksu will be happy! I liked what a I saw in prospect camp last summer, so I am happy too. Looked like may have about the right amount of SISU, and can skate well also.

Reactions: MortiestOfMortys

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
Am I off base to suggest that he is our third pairing LD to start next season while Gunnarsson and Bouwmeester recover from injuries?

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Am I off base to suggest that he is our third pairing LD to start next season while Gunnarsson and Bouwmeester recover from injuries?

Can't see it with him having not spent any significant time in North America. Blues will still have Eddy, Dunn, Petro, Parayko, Schmaltz, Bortuzzo and the other prospects already in North America (Lindbohm - if he's back, Walman), plus veteran depth that Armstrong will almost assuredly sign (like a Butler or Prosser), and the fact that both of those injured guys will be back very early into next season, if not (at least one) by opening night.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Can't see it with him having not spent any significant time in North America. Blues will still have Eddy, Dunn, Petro, Parayko, Schmaltz, Bortuzzo and the other prospects already in North America (Lindbohm - if he's back, Walman), plus veteran depth that Armstrong will almost assuredly sign (like a Butler or Prosser), and the fact that both of those injured guys will be back very early into next season, if not (at least one) by opening night.

Shouldn't Prosser just sign with Minnesota at this point? He is going to end up back there anyway. Stop fighting it Nate, you can't escape. And Armstrong, stop paying his signing bonus for the Wild.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Ranksu will be happy! I liked what a I saw in prospect camp last summer, so I am happy too. Looked like may have about the right amount of SISU, and can skate well also.
Mikkola's Sisu/60 is off the charts.

Reactions: Itsnotatrap

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland

I agree with all, but saying Mikkola has Cannon at blueline isn't true. Its something like what Edmundson has, but he is easilly far superior player at blueline compare to Parayko or Edmundson. Mikkola's side to side skating is vety good such a tall player. And we are gonna love his ability to take Part of cycle game at o-zone

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
I agree with all, but saying Mikkola has Cannon at blueline isn't true. Its something like what Edmundson has, but he is easilly far superior player at blueline compare to Parayko or Edmundson. Mikkola's side to side skating is vety good such a tall player. And we are gonna love his ability to take Part of cycle game at o-zone
I’m not sure if I’m reading your post correctly. What do you mean by “he is easily far superior player at blue line compare to Parayko or Edmundson”? Are you saying Mikkola is a superior player? Or just defensively? Or offensively? I’m a bit confused.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

I am not sure if this is a troll job, Finnish hype or a misunderstanding due to language. But blueliner is a term for defenseman. The quote was saying he will be an effective defenseman. When you say he will "easily be a far superior player at the Blueline" do you mean he will be far superior defenseman, or specifically talking about his game at or near the "Blueline" due to his ability to cycle or maybe holding the defensive zone? I am hoping its one of the narrow definitions and not that you think he would be a far superior player because that is ridiculous thing to say at this point.

Edit: MattyMO now known as 8675309 or whatever, beat me to it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->