Prospect Info: Niko Mikkola (127th Overall in 2015) - Signs 2 year ELC

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Niko Mikkola got tonight's game against HIFK 5+20 penalty for charging when he hit HIFK goalie Niklas Backstrom.
Backstrom injured by that hit and therefore the referees had no choice than to run Mikkola out of the ice and directly of the shower.

Teemu Eronen ( St Louis 7th round draft selection 192 overall by 2011 NHL entry draft) scored to HIFK game winning goal on powerplay.
Is possible Mikkola gets suspension of that hit.

http://www.ruutu.fi/video/2879162
Here's video of Mikkola's hit.

If you compare this hit to NHL rules what do you like is this hit suspension worth or not.
In FEL almost all 5+20 penalties are suspension worth if video referee will report them to FEL disciplinarian ( Sampo Liusjarvi)

Last edited:

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Niko Mikkola got tonight's game against HIFK 5+20 penalty for charging when he hit HIFK goalie Niklas Backstrom.
Backstrom injured by that hit and therefore the referees had no choice than to run Mikkola out of the ice and directly of the shower.

Teemu Eronen ( St Louis 7th round draft selection 192 overall by 2011 NHL entry draft) scored to HIFK game winning goal on powerplay.
Is possible Mikkola gets suspension of that hit.

http://www.ruutu.fi/video/2879162
Here's video of Mikkola's hit.

If you compare this hit to NHL rules what do you like is this hit suspension worth or not.
In FEL almost all 5+20 penalties are suspension worth if video referee will report them to FEL disciplinarian ( Sampo Liusjarvi)

Don't see how that's suspension-worthy in any league. The Defender caused Mikkola to make contact with the goalie, it wasn't intentional, etc.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
No way that'd be a suspension in any of the North American pro leagues. Looking towards the puck. Not Backstrom

FEL announced Sunday night Mikkola's 5+20 penalty from HIFK game is reported FEL Disciplinarian.
Mikkola will get suspension of his hit for Backstrom nothing won't stop it anymore.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Tappara - Kärpät, finnish Liiga finals currenlty live. Couple interesting prospects. Mikkola vs. Vesalainen, love it. Btw that Vesalainen is going to be big suprise to NA people when he comes to NA next year, Jets have another sniper. #24 spot he's steal. Ofc you can't forgot Sebastian Repo who is Florida's prospect.

Hah, Mikkola just tried coast to coast, but couldn't push last man away for wrap around. Then right away he skated back to o-zone and man handled Kärpät forward and take the puck to own team. Love it.

edit.

Mikkola is having really good first final game. He's all over the place in good way, but there was couple uncharacteristic bad passes in his d-zone where puck was turned away. Overally good period by Mikkola.

Last edited:
Reactions: MortiestOfMortys

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Terrible pass by Mikkola at neutral zone, east-west and Kärpät get very good scoring change. Ofc forwards and dmens had big cap with each other, but too boneahead pass at crucial time of game.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Idk, but it could be bit funny to see d-pair Mikkola - Parayko, 6'5'' - 6'6'' :bb:

Can't wait to see some pre-season games. I bet we'll see then Mikkola playing on NHL level. Only mad thing is Blues don't broadcast those pre-games. :thumbd:

Reactions: shifting

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
Mikkola looked like a future NHLer in the last preseason. Excited to see the progress he's made this August.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Terrible pass by Mikkola at neutral zone, east-west and Kärpät get very good scoring change. Ofc forwards and dmens had big cap with each other, but too boneahead pass at crucial time of game.

I think it would worth paying a small fee to hear you be the play by play guy for a game. I have all kinds of scenarios running through my brain.

"Schenn caries the puck over blue line. He stops and passes to Schwartz. Schwartz dishes to Tarasenko. He shoots he scores!! It was a good goal but c'mon he's no Laine!!!"

"Today's game is brought to you by, Allen sucks. Let's get real folks. Allen sucks and I hate him"

"Berglund with the puck. Vihaan sinua Berglundia!!!! Tama on kaiken aikaa tyhma avatar!!"

Hehehe :sarcasm:

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Liiga's final 4th game starts, Mikkola's team is losing 3-0 in games. Big game for Tappara. Intersting to see how Mikkola plays under big pressure. He's playing 2nd pair, but is leading TOI/GP for him team.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
OMG, whatta slapper from Mikkola, couples inches it would have been goal, but no. Mikkola is active and join in the rushes and cycles, love it what he shows. Watch out him at training camp. :arr:

Last edited:

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Seriously Mikkola is playing helluva game, at blueline he goes wheeling east - west and do blueline corner spin-o-rama type of cycle with himself and that gave him to room and shoot the puck, but only missed the net. Doesn't look anything like shakey... just wow moves.

Reactions: BangarangxRufio

BangarangxRufio

I Blues'd Myself
Nov 29, 2016
STL
That's great to hear. It will be interesting to see him and Walman fighting it out in camp if we do unload gunny or Bouw.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I watched him play two games and I left unimpressed for those looking for a second opinion.

Hmmm who to believe, who to believe.....I think there is too much bias involved and I'll have to side with the non-biased party. The Note in Ky is totally biased against players born outside of Kentucky (he hates every player to have ever played the sport of hockey, as nobody from Kentucky ever has). I am going to stick with the totally non-biased Ransku on this one. :sarcasm:

Reactions: BangarangxRufio

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Yeah, I mean, whatever. This guy needs a full season in the AHL regardless of how he looks. Right now, including Walman, there's seemingly 9 defensemen ahead of him. We don't need him to make the roster nor is it realistic that he does.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
When I say unimpressed I mean, that he wasn’t as noticeably as I had been led to believe. He was a solid defensive defenseman who can skate well for his size and plays gritty in the paint. He will be a nice addition for defensive depth but expectations of pushing for a roster spot should be tempered.

Additionally I am not from KY, from KCMO actually, just lived in Kentucky during medical school when I made my account. Perhaps I’m due for a name change since I’m in Michigan now...

Reactions: MortiestOfMortys

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad