LD Miro Heiskanen - IFK Helsinki, Liiga (2017, 3rd, DAL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
(Overall post to this thread, to multiple posters)

I don't understand this at all. If Heiskanen is on your second pair, that is incredible. Lindell has proved he can play on the 1st pair well with Klingberg. Just because Heiskanen is a better prospect doesn't mean he has to play in the 1st pair when they have another pair who has proved they play well together.

It doesn't make Heiskanen any worse prospect/player than he is.

He hasn't today and Dallas is a team that needs to prove it on the big games.

Then again the 2nd part is if Heiskanen is on the 2nd pair and playing against the best I really wouldn't like to think of Heiskanen- Honka pair that someone drew up here.

So again, today I have Heiskanen as a D-man I'd love to play against the best, because of his 2way game, and again today Lindell hasn't proven to be a true #2D and be able to go against the best in the playoffs.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
I think he is seriously stuck with how Lindell was the last times in the Finnish national team. Just forget that! Not at all the same player anymore. He has gone miles forward from that, and is a very good NHL defenceman nowadays already.

Man, was that one atrocious showing by Lindell, just awful in every possible way: skating, passing, defense... just name it. I watched with disgust that sad show of ineptitude and wondered to myself why on earth is this clumsy skater of a clown with no hockey IQ in the team, let alone the fact he somehow has managed to bluff himself all the way to the NHL! - And yes I am still victim of that shocking impression and might be stuck with the low opinion of his hockey talent until heavens fall.

This is not fair, never said that. But that is how human mind tricks you to keep with your stuck beliefs.

Last edited:

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014

Then again the 2nd part is if Heiskanen is on the 2nd pair and playing against the best I really wouldn't like to think of Heiskanen- Honka pair that someone drew up here.

So again, today I have Heiskanen as a D-man I'd love to play against the best, because of his 2way game, and again today Lindell hasn't proven to be a true #2D and be able to go against the best in the playoffs.

What part of Lindell's game doesnt suggest he can handle top minutes? He has done nothing but look like a legit top 2 this year. Also if Lindell hasnt proven he can handle top NHL minute then neither has Heiskanen. After all one is actually playing that position in the NHL and the other is still a prospect

Reactions: Ippenator

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
What part of Lindell's game doesnt suggest he can handle top minutes? He has done nothing but look like a legit top 2 this year. Also if Lindell hasnt proven he can handle top NHL minute then neither has Heiskanen. After all one is actually playing that position in the NHL and the other is still a prospect

You don't get the high titles after short sample sizes, you need to prove it longer than that. I don't call McAvoy an elite #1D today, he needs to do it longer, I don't call someone a true #1C after short sample size. Again they have to prove it longer. Players go through cold& hot streaks during their careers& seasons.

Heiskanen isn't a #1D or #2D today, it's on potential, and his potential is much higher than

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo

I’m extremely excited about Heiskanen and I see him as the best Finnish talent outside of the NHL at the moment. But I have to still say that now you are a bit overhyping him. Even how good he has been in Liiga, we don’t know yet how well he will fit in to the NHL. I’m sure well, at least eventually, but if you seriously expect him to right away be a two-way megastar, I think you are most likely going to be dissapointed. I’m sure that he has already the skating and the IQ to manage pretty well in the NHL, but to seriously think that he wouldn’t need some sheltering for at least some time, is in my opinion pretty much delusional.

Heiskanen does not have even close to the strength to be a real 1st pair defenceman in the NHL yet. Even how good a skater he is, he will be in big problems with players like Wheeler, Malkin, Lee, Getzlaf and Ovechkin. They will just simply bulldoze through him. He will simply need to get more strength and experience, and he should pretty much be sheltered in the second pair, until it would be seen how well he will handle his play there.

I’m sure he will at some point be a first pairing defenceman, but to expect that right away is really too much. Anyway for sure during the last two seasons (especially this season) Lindell has shown clearly that he is a great first pairing defenceman, so he should still play there and Heiskanen should show first in the second pairing what he can do from there. And if he is really magnificent right from the start, I’m sure he will get his chance even in the first pairing.

Although I have to say that NHL is still a league for quite big boys, so I honestly don’t like the idea of two a bit strengthwise weaker defencemen in the same pairing. Doesn’t matter really how great skaters they are and how skilled they are, they will be in trouble with bigger and skilled forwards. That would be what Klingberg and Heiskanen would be as a pair. I think that two of that kind of defencemen should play usually only on the power play in the same pairing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hockeyisl1fe

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I’m extremely excited about Heiskanen and I see him as the best Finnish talent outside of the NHL at the moment. But I have to still say that now you are a bit overhyping him. Even how good he has been in Liiga, we don’t know yet how well he will fit in to the NHL. I’m sure well, at least eventually, but if you seriously expect him to right away be a two-way megastar, I think you are most likely going to be dissapointed. I’m sure that he has already the skating and the IQ to manage pretty well in the NHL, but to seriously think that he wouldn’t need some sheltering for at least some time, is in my opinion pretty much delusional.

Heiskanen does not have even close to the strength to be a real 1st pair defenceman in the NHL yet. Even how good a skater he is, he will be in big problems with players like Wheeler, Malkin, Lee, Getzlaf and Ovechkin. They will just simply bulldoze through him. He will simply need to get more strength and experience, and he should pretty much be sheltered in the second pair, until it would be seen how well he will handle his play there.

I’m sure he will at some point be a first pairing defenceman, but to expect that right away is really too much. Anyway for sure during the last two season (especially this season) Lindell has shown clearly that he is great first pairing defenceman, so he should still play there and Heiskanen should show first in the second pairing what he can do from there. And if he is really magnificent right from the start, I’m sure he will get his chance even in the first pairing.

Although I have to say that NHL is still a league for quite big boys, so I honestly don’t like the idea of two a bit strengthwise weaker defencemen in the same pairing. Doesn’t matter really how great skaters they are and how skilled they are, they will be in trouble with bigger and skilled forwards. That would be what Klingberg and Heiskanen would be as a pair. I think that two of that kind of defencemen should play usually only on the power play in the same pairing.

Every prospect is risky, no non NHL prospect has proven a thing in the NHL.

But we can look at what Heiskanen has done and how he plays. He can dominate the game in 3 zones, he's playing 25mins against the best in Liiga and is scoring at an elite level. We know his skating& IQ are elite, he's basically build for this NHL.

Miro is 18y so he doesn't have to have the strenght to go against the best in the NHL, it's just better that he doesn't because it means he's doing what he is doing because of his skills. He's thriving in Liiga at 18y, which is a great sign for how he could look in the NHL against men.

I haven't certainly said Heiskanen is a 1st pair D-man in the NHL from game 1 forwards.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
God I love Miro. His year has been an odd one. Im mad he got hurt at the start of the year becasue it would have been super fun to see him at dev camp but at the same time I'm kinda happy we were given no choice in giving him an extra year to develop. He has taken massive strides. I always like to compare to recent players from similar leagues and he is killing the competition Ristolainen, who is seen much more as an offensive guy, had 15 points 52 games at 18 years old. He has since translated into a 0.5 PPG defenceman. Vatanen put up 30 in 55 or 0.55 PPG at 18 and has a year above 0.5 PPG and is a pretty consistent offensive threat. Miro now at 18 in 23 games has already surpassed Ristos numbers and at 0.78 PPG is killing what Vatanen did.

2 really recent examples of Finish D men, their scoring ability in Liiga and how it translated to the NHL. Hieskanen is currently a large step above both and offense is seen as not his game. Hard to not get stupidly excited about this kid

Noma

2 really recent examples of Finish D men, their scoring ability in Liiga and how it translated to the NHL. Hieskanen is currently a large step above both and offense is seen as not his game. Hard to not get stupidly excited about this kid

I don't know where that "offense is seen as not his game" has came though. Heiskanen has been very talented offensively for the three years I've watched him play. Maybe people just haven't realized that 10 points in 37 games as a 17-year-old is amazing production in SM-liiga - it was the first time in 26 years anyone had reached double digits in that age as a D-man.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
I don't know where that "offense is seen as not his game" has came though. Heiskanen has been very talented offensively for the three years I've watched him play. Maybe people just haven't realized that 10 points in 37 games as a 17-year-old is amazing production in SM-liiga - it was the first time in 26 years anyone had reached double digits in that age as a D-man.

I think he means that it's impressive that Heiskanen is scoring like he is, and is so impressive offensively, but isnt seen as a "pure offensive DMan" in the way we view Karlsson, Klingberg, Vatanen, etc. His defensive stick is just awesome.

Karhuvaari

Dec 4, 2016
I kinda agree that Klingberg and Lindell as a pair is a lock right now. Especially with the growth of Lindell. Perfect pairing for him in the current Stars roster would be Methot in my mind. Experienced veteran who can cover his mistakes, mentor and let him try to do his stuff.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014

At the draft he was seen as ready defensively but his offense, notably his shot, needed to improve. What in saying is a prisoecr who is known for D being much better than his O is crushing the offensive numbers put up by past guy who labeled as offensive guys. That's the part that I find special. The secondary part of his game is better than many recent fins primary part of their game

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
I kinda agree that Klingberg and Lindell as a pair is a lock right now. Especially with the growth of Lindell. Perfect pairing for him in the current Stars roster would be Methot in my mind. Experienced veteran who can cover his mistakes, mentor and let him try to do his stuff.

They play the same side tho. I assume johns is probably his first partner

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
Scored a nice goal against Czech in the last training game before Olympics.

Am I the only one who got serious old school hockey vibes from this clip :laugh:? Looks like something straight from the 80s with the style of commentary paired with somewhat low quality footage, camera angles and that simplistic scoreboard.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
The best d prospect right now*

I would say so, straight up dominating in all 3 zones.

It's fantastic if a D-prospect is dominating 1 zone, it's crazy when one is dominating everything in a mens league.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
I would say so, straight up dominating in all 3 zones.

It's fantastic if a D-prospect is dominating 1 zone, it's crazy when one is dominating everything in a mens league.
Dominating is a strong word... he is great in all three zones, but not dominating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad