LD Miro Heiskanen - IFK Helsinki, Liiga (2017, 3rd, DAL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
He scooooooooooores, what a beauty.
Karri Kivi just said he should have a spot on the Olympics roster.

Doesn't look shy at all. Nice to have a fantastic skater on defense.

Last edited:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Got close to a 2nd point(R player taking a penalty stopped it).

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Great game from Miro! He was by all means very good and took his place as a leading defenceman in the national team right away. I’m very impressed.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Im getting really excited by this kid.. Looks like the type of dman Finland has craved for a long time now.

Smart, poised, smooth skater and just all-around great 2-way defenseman. Could become a minute eater for Dallas in the future.

We've had some good dmen emerge in the last 5 years or so, RR, Maatta, Vatanen, Lindell.. they all have something that makes them good, whether it's physical qualities, offensive ability, competitive nature or whatever it may be, BUT you can say we have not had that one guy who has next level smarts.

Heiskanen is really the only guy i look at and say i see potential as a top pairing defenseman on a winning team. If you compare him to the other guys, his offensive ability is easily on par, if not better, but being such a smart dman he will likely be better defensively too.

I also look at the Stars blueline and team in general and say to myself man, he's exactly what they need.

Hopefully Miro stays healthy and continues to play well, and has a good summer of training, if all goes as planned he could already be playing top 4 minutes for Dallas as soon as next season. He seems very humble, which usually means you also put in the work. Coaches are going to love him.

Can you imagine if he was 6'3"?

Last edited:
Reactions: Ippenator

jaa

Oct 24, 2013
I think he will be the go-to top pairing man with Ristolainen in the future.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Im getting really excited by this kid.. Looks like the type of dman Finland has craved for a long time now.

Smart, poised, smooth skater and just all-around great 2-way defenseman. Could become a minute eater for Dallas in the future.

We've had some good dmen emerge in the last 5 years or so, RR, Maatta, Vatanen, Lindell.. they all have something that makes them good, whether it's physical qualities, offensive ability, competitive nature or whatever it may be, BUT you can say we have not had that one guy who has next level smarts.

Heiskanen is really the only guy i look at and say i see potential as a top pairing defenseman on a winning team. If you compare him to the other guys, his offensive ability is easily on par, if not better, but being such a smart dman he will likely be better defensively too.

I also look at the Stars blueline and team in general and say to myself man, he's exactly what they need.

Hopefully Miro stays healthy and continues to play well, and has a good summer of training, if all goes as planned he could already be playing top 4 minutes for Dallas as soon as next season. He seems very humble, which usually means you also put in the work. Coaches are going to love him.

Not only top pairing but a true #1D. That's where I see him, but of course only time can tell. He's the only defenseman in the group with practically no flaws in the game. Miro has been criticized for not having a booming shot, but even so, he's scoring goals with ease in FEL and now on the international ice. I think this is as close to a perfect 18 year old defender one can get and if the scouts raved about him pre-draft, he has become much more dominant since the draft year. Got a very good feeling about him. Exactly what the country was missing from the blue line.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Heiskanen- Kling has potential to be one of the most dominating pairings in the league, just damm deadly, and to run them with Benn& Seguin.

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012

I think Määttä is a pretty smart defender, his skating has just held him back from being effective. This year he has been much better, and actually seems to be playing on Pittsburgh's top pairing again.

Your post is still pretty much on point. We have defenders that may have some elite traits, but Heiskanen could be elite in just about every aspect of the game, aside from hitting and shooting a slapshot like Ristolainen, but that isn't really necessary.

IceHockeyDude

May 15, 2011
Suomi
The future looks at least decent for Finnish defensive quality RR, Määttä, Lindell and even Vatanen are all fine dmen on the NHL level. Miro will be there perhaps even next season and we will have to wait and see how Juolevi, Välimäki, Vaakanen etc will develop. A lot of potential there at least.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
The future looks at least decent for Finnish defensive quality RR, Määttä, Lindell and even Vatanen are all fine dmen on the NHL level. Miro will be there perhaps even next season and we will have to wait and see how Juolevi, Välimäki, Vaakanen etc will develop. A lot of potential there at least.
And in Honka, potentially, and Dallas could have 1/2 of the top-6 Finland defense :laugh:

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I think Makar is going to be a stud but yeah, still disappointing Dallas was able to grab Miro right in front of us. All that talk prior to the draft about how was just a safe player and din't have star upside looks so ridiculous.

Slap

Sep 28, 2017
I think Makar is going to be a stud but yeah, still disappointing Dallas was able to grab Miro right in front of us. All that talk prior to the draft about how was just a safe player and din't have star upside looks so ridiculous.
We had that talk with Barkov too. Pierre sounded like he was about to puke when Tallon called his name, you had Don Cherry going on a 5 post Twitter rant about some good ol kid from the prairies. Can't even remember who it was. I think it's safe to say North American media and (no offence) posters are pretty clueless when it comes to European prospects.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Kind of sad that he doesn't get more hype as he would deserve every bit of it. Just imagine this was a Leafs/Habs etc. propect.

He's amazing.
We are trying our best to keep him in the limelight, but yeah if he had gone to a large market team with his current season this thread would pretty much be pinned to the top of these boards

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Its still one of the most actively bumped threads, and is one of the few 2017 draftees who would be on his 2nd thread right now under the old rules. And, it's not like the Finns are necessarily a small group of people when it comes to hyping up their guys, not that it is undeserved in this case.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
I mean if you look at the posts for this thread its been mostly 5 user for the last while because before we posted anything this thread was nowhere to be seen.

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
Its still one of the most actively bumped threads, and is one of the few 2017 draftees who would be on his 2nd thread right now under the old rules. And, it's not like the Finns are necessarily a small group of people when it comes to hyping up their guys, not that it is undeserved in this case.
Definitely not. Well, more people will notice when he takes the ice on NHL level.

I wasn't fully sold on him when people began to hype him, but after watching him at all possible levels there's to play this far, he's been unreal. If I had to pick one thing he needs to work on it's his shot. It's not bad by any means but also not elite. If he had an elite shot we would be talking about the best D prospect in years w/ Dahlin.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Love how calm he is, he has no problems with carrying the puck and making plays.

Incredible to watch, has full trust in his skills.

Last edited:

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
Good period. His awareness is so impressive; even though he loves carrying the puck and joining in on the rush, he is always back to defend in time.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
R4h7Mm4.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad