LD Miro Heiskanen - IFK Helsinki, Liiga (2017, 3rd, DAL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Well Miro Heiskanen is pretty late born player for his draft and already one of the best players in liiga. I think he could be future Duncan Keith/Drew Doughty if everything pans out. If that happens he would be best defenseman ever from Finland.

Rasmus Dahlin in the other hand is exceptional talent. It's early to call him generational but he has potential become generational defenseman. It's harder to judge D's because they have different learning curve than fowards.

I don't think there is many if any GMs who would pick Heiskanen over Dahlin.

Yeah for sure Dahlin looks to be even more promising. Based on the 16 and 17 year old season Rasmus looks to have pretty clear edge, not to mention the more flashier game style. Still think Heiskanen is on his own class what comes to hockey IQ. That combined with the skating and other attributes, Miro too is a complete packet and right now it's hard to say which pick would be the more safe cause I can't see this kid failing, nor Rasmus for that matter. 10 points in 10 games, pretty crazy,

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Hm, Heiskanen still leads the team with 65.2% 5v5 Corsi(#2 out of the ones who have played a meaningful amount of games is at 60.5%, 59.0% for Ds). He's at 12 goals for, 5 against for 70.59% GF% and +7. Also a PPG pace. Considering his draft date and Birthday, he's having a better season offensively than Sebastian Aho at the same age - Though he's on a significantly worse team and is actually a defenseman.

It's a little disappointing how little hype he gets.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
Hm, Heiskanen still leads the team with 65.2% 5v5 Corsi(#2 out of the ones who have played a meaningful amount of games is at 60.5%, 59.0% for Ds). He's at 12 goals for, 5 against for 70.59% GF% and +7. Also a PPG pace. Considering his draft date and Birthday, he's having a better season offensively than Sebastian Aho at the same age - Though he's on a significantly worse team and is actually a defenseman.

It's a little disappointing how little hype he gets.
He's compared to Dahlin here, no, he's not underrated. Every finnish prospect will get ridiculously overhyped here because of the biased posters... I wonder when Psychodad will state him to be a multiple future Norris winner.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
He's compared to Dahlin here, no, he's not underrated. Every finnish prospect will get ridiculously overhyped here because of the biased posters... I wonder when Psychodad will state him to be a multiple future Norris winner.

1 poster mentioned Dahlin.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
Well, first of all, not all Finnish prospects gets overhyped here. Secondly, if they do get little bit overhyped, that's probably because they have been hot lately and when the player is hot, people tend to go crazy on him but that's just internet to you. Still, overhyping happens with every fanbase/nationality but somehow it seems to be a Finnish thing to not want our players to get any recognition until they have achieved something major in their career.

Also, some people might still not realize what kind of prospects Finland has been producing lately compared to rest of the world. We are producing more high quality players than we have ever produced so that might make it seem Finnish players get more hype than before.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
Well, first of all, not all Finnish prospects gets overhyped here. Secondly, if they do get little bit overhyped, that's probably because they have been hot lately and when the player is hot, people tend to go crazy on him but that's just internet to you. Still, overhyping happens with every fanbase/nationality but somehow it seems to be a Finnish thing to not want our players to get any recognition until they have achieved something major in their career.

Also, some people might still not realize what kind of prospects Finland has been producing lately compared to rest of the world. We are producing more high quality players than we have ever produced so that might make it seem Finnish players get more hype than before.
I admit my post being a hyperbole... Heiskanen is one of my favourite prospects, I just don't want to see backlash (see Laine) for him if he starts to struggle.

Last edited:

ijuka

May 14, 2016
General perception in the overall landscape, not only within this thread(The inactivity of which was an inspiration for me making that post in the first place) and of course, pointing at a single poster is even more misleading.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
He's completely transformed his game. Has gone from useless offensively and a liability defensively at the U20s to solid at the U18s (though he got a lot of nothing points) to a dominant player in Liiga (points aside, easy to see just by watching him, dynamic everywhere on the ice). Kudos to those who projected it because I definitely couldn't based on how he looked last year.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
He's completely transformed his game. Has gone from useless offensively and a liability defensively at the U20s to solid at the U18s (though he got a lot of nothing points) to a dominant player in Liiga (points aside, easy to see just by watching him, dynamic everywhere on the ice). Kudos to those who projected it because I definitely couldn't based on how he looked last year.

Uhhhhh wat? I know I havent watched all his games and am far from an expert but when in the hell was that the tell on the kid. He climbed the rankings late-ish as a prospect but D was always seens as something he got. The kind of player that just gets in the way of passes and shots. The offensive worries were well documented and he seems to have turned the tables on that one but the D zone play has been and is his forte.

If you think he looked a little out of place at the U20s, maybe its because he was 17 years old and not far removed from being 16. At that age struggling against the best 19 year olds in the world shouldnt be a "red flag"

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Kids an absolute stud. Watching him play is so fun but I think a little bit of his defensive roaming will have to be reeled in when he comes to the NHL. His stick checking is absolutely unreal and probably would be top 2 or 3 in that category on Dallas right now. The fact that he is straight up crushing the skeptics on offence is amazing and making me way way way too excited for this kid. At the rate he is driving offence and suppressing defense he is looking like the kind of prospect that should step into a top 4 maybe top 2 role as soon as he gets here

Reactions: Ippenator and BB88

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Can't wait for him to play with the Stars hopefully next year. I wonder if he could've made the big team if he didn't get injured before training camp and never went over to NA ? My gut says yes he would've. Probably for the better though. Gives Miro chance to play a leading role in Finland and it would've been kind of complicated to finde a spot for him . Nill isn't a big fan of just waiving guys even if they have little value. He held onto Nemeth forever. Same with Jamie O ...

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Can't wait for him to play with the Stars hopefully next year. I wonder if he could've made the big team if he didn't get injured before training camp and never went over to NA ? My gut says yes he would've. Probably for the better though. Gives Miro chance to play a leading role in Finland and it would've been kind of complicated to finde a spot for him . Nill isn't a big fan of just waiving guys even if they have little value. He held onto Nemeth forever. Same with Jamie O ...

Part of me is happy he went back. Pateryn and Hamhuis sould and will be gone next year. I would love if Oleksiak also got shipped to an other dimension but there should be less D and at this rate Heiskanen should 100% be counted for when we enter free agency next year.

Lindell-Klingberg
Heiskanen-Johns
Methot-Honka (please Hitch realize what you are missing)

Could look unreal

Reactions: Ippenator

NHL RankKing

Fantasy Guru
Aug 31, 2013
Hockeytown
www.nhlrankking.com
What Heiskanen is doing in the Liiga this year is off the charts. I've been tracking PNHLe since the 2005-06 season and his clocks in at 81 - the highest in the Liiga in over a decade. Granted it's in a much smaller sample (10 GP) but to put things into perspective, Barkov (12-13) sits in 2nd place with 75 .

For those wondering, PNHLe is a league-, position- and age-adjusted stat that tries to equate point production for all NHL prospects and project future value. Overall, Heiskanen sits in 3rd place behind Chytil and Tolvanen.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
What Heiskanen is doing in the Liiga this year is off the charts. I've been tracking PNHLe since the 2005-06 season and his clocks in at 81 - the highest in the Liiga in over a decade. Granted it's in a much smaller sample (10 GP) but to put things into perspective, Barkov (12-13) sits in 2nd place with 75 .

For those wondering, PNHLe is a league-, position- and age-adjusted stat that tries to equate point production for all NHL prospects and project future value. Overall, Heiskanen sits in 3rd place behind Chytil and Tolvanen.
Interesting. Thanks for sharing this information. Where can I find these rankings?

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
It's definitely Heiskanen.

Similar brains, but Heiskanen definitely has a better body.

Dont want to sound like a dick but Heiskanen;s best attribute is his hockey IQ especially in his own end. So saying Juolevi has "similar brains" is just false

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Dont want to sound like a dick but Heiskanen;s best attribute is his hockey IQ especially in his own end. So saying Juolevi has "similar brains" is just false

...so is Juolevi's...

But Juolevi's acceleration and power is a mile behind that of Heiskanen.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad