LD Miro Heiskanen - IFK Helsinki, Liiga (2017, 3rd, DAL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolvesAndWings

Wherever I go, the strawman follows
Mar 18, 2017
Still really bitter Dallas got this kid. 3rd overall was the absolute best position in this draft IMO, because as far as I'm concerned Heiskanen will be remembered as the best player of the 2017 draft class when it's all said and done...you just couldn't justify taking him ahead of Hischier or Patrick at the time.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I still think he makes the Stars out of TC. His ability to read the play and break up plays in the dzone should be enough to give him limited 3rd pairing and PK minutes. Not a bad start for a rookie dman of his age.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I still think he makes the Stars out of TC. His ability to read the play and break up plays in the dzone should be enough to give him limited 3rd pairing and PK minutes. Not a bad start for a rookie dman of his age.

Considering we already have 9 NHL defenders, he'll have to have quite the impact to stick out of training camp. Definitely not inconceivable, though.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I'd be shocked. Pretty sure they intend to send him back to Finland. They are in no-rush and the track record of 18-year-old defenders in the NHL is quite bad developmentally. None seem to ever seem to live up to their offensive upside (Hamrlik, Trevordovky, McLaren, Aki Berg and Sbisa). Ekblad, Chychrun and Hanifin have done in in recent years but were much more developed physically. Heiskanen on top of that hasn't filled out. I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't in the NHL until 2019/20 or mid-way 2018/19 after seasoning in the AHL.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I'd be shocked. Pretty sure they intend to send him back to Finland. They are in no-rush and the track record of 18-year-old defenders in the NHL is quite bad developmentally. None seem to ever seem to live up to their offensive upside (Hamrlik, Trevordovky, McLaren, Aki Berg and Sbisa). Ekblad, Chychrun and Hanifin have done in in recent years but were much more developed physically. Heiskanen on top of that hasn't filled out. I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't in the NHL until 2019/20 or mid-way 2018/19 after seasoning in the AHL.

After watching him play in Finland I have no doubts he could transition to the NHL next year. That's not to say he couldn't use more seasoning though. It wouldn't hurt for him to play down for a season either.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Still really bitter Dallas got this kid. 3rd overall was the absolute best position in this draft IMO, because as far as I'm concerned Heiskanen will be remembered as the best player of the 2017 draft class when it's all said and done...you just couldn't justify taking him ahead of Hischier or Patrick at the time.

I definitely agree. Just like 2016, I don't think that #1 was the best place to pick for this year's draft.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Hmmm that's odd.

He doesn't project as an NHL regular this year, does he? So we should definitely see him in the actual WJCs?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Hmmm that's odd.

He doesn't project as an NHL regular this year, does he? So we should definitely see him in the actual WJCs?

If he's healthy he's quaranteed to make the roster and likely on the 1st pair.

Maybe they wanted to give him more time for training, his traveling schedule is crazy this summer.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
If he's healthy he's quaranteed to make the roster and likely on the 1st pair.

Maybe they wanted to give him more time for training, his traveling schedule is crazy this summer.

Really?

Do you know if he projects to stay on his offside on smaller NHL ice? Klingberg/Honka/Johns to contend with on the right and Methot/Hammhuis/Lindell on the left.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Really?

Do you know if he projects to stay on his offside on smaller NHL ice? Klingberg/Honka/Johns to contend with on the right and Methot/Hammhuis/Lindell on the left.

From what I have heard is he played RD last year because it was needed and he was able. He supposedly can play LD and he is 100% going to be LD for us as kling and Honka will be locking down top 4 RD spots for years

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
http://www.leijonat.com/2017/08/09/...on-puuttunut-suomesta-viimeiset-10-20-vuotta/
HIFK's head coach Ari Pekka Selin says Miro Heiskanen is a dman what Finnish hockey has missed last 10-20 years.
Selin also compares Heiskanen to Nicklas Lidstrom.

http://www.leijonat.com/2017/08/09/...ensa-nhlaan-luulen-hanen-yllattavan-dallasin/
HIFK's head coach Ari Pekka Selin believes Heiskanen makes in impact in Dallas training camp in Septbember.

http://www.leijonat.com/2017/08/09/...uodonmuutoksen-paino-noussut-perati-14-kiloa/
Miro Heiskanen is getting more muscle and his weight is on the rise

http://www.nhlsuomi.com/2017/08/09/...-pystyn-treenata-hyvin-ja-kehittaa-kroppaani/
Miro Heiskanen knows where he'll play this season ( 2017-2018)

Last edited:

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Well, what he says is true. Finland's solely lacking a stable two-way presence like, hmm, Teppo Numminen for instance. So many of the new guys are offensive Ds. Finland's national D has been quite hazardous and having a stabilizing first pairing guy would be very useful.

Of course, it probably won't be very often that Heiskanen would play for Finland but hey.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
6'1 185, starting to be tough to use size against him, as a reason why he can't become a #1D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->