LD Grigory Dronov - Metallurg Magnitogorsk, KHL (2016 undrafted)

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
No thread for Grigoriy Dronov, yet he totally deserves it, so let's fix that. :) Dronov is a powerful LHD, mostly defensive one, but is able to contribute in attack too, reminds me of Yegor Rykov in that way. Was rather underwhelming last year at the WJC, but really stepped up during the summer, as he basically notably improved every aspect of his game. That resulted in getting good icetime on Metallurg KHL team (including PP and PK) and he was also expected to be leading Russia NT defense at the WJC, but unfortunately he suffered a broken ankle in October and failed to recover in time. Yet he still looked good in the KHL after returning from the injury, so that makes me think he could be a very solid middle round pick up this year.

Ep link: Grigori Dronov

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
I don't know, one of the best KHL young D (imo, the second best after Rykov) and went undrafted, doesn't make too much sense. It's a tough time to be Russian defense-first D in terms of draft stock nowadays.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Is he allowed to be signed rather than drafted?

He has to go through the 2019 Draft first before he's a UFA. Not unusual to see a handful of 4th time draft eligible European players get selected; Off the top of my head Veini Vehvilainen, Mikko Koskinen, (Swedish D) Sebastian Aho.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
There goes his draft chances - out for two more months, this time it is not his ankle though, crashed into the boards badly:

Yeah, that happened like 5 minutes in to the game yesterday, he missed the rest of the game after. Looked like a shoulder injury.

It's disappointing, most of my interest in the Spengler Cup this year was to watch him (and Dorofeyev).

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Too bad they are out. He could have competed for a NT spot if healthy thoughout the season, but right now not enough exposure to be considered.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad