Lauri Marjamäki

BL92

Double Gold
May 22, 2016
Finland
So Marjamäki has been coaching the Finnish national team since the World Cup and so far his performance has been horrible to say the least. Granted, Finland didn't have a great roster when compared to other countries in the World Cup, but Finland was absolutely humiliated. Yesterday Finland played against Russia in the Karjala Tournament and lost 5-1.

I really don't like what I'm seeing.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
So Marjamäki has been coaching the Finnish national team since the World Cup and so far his performance has been horrible to say the least. Granted, Finland didn't have a great roster when compared to other countries in the World Cup, but Finland was absolutely humiliated. Yesterday Finland played against Russia in the Karjala Tournament and lost 5-1.

I really don't like what I'm seeing.

EHT is only practicing to 2017 men's world championships.
And i don't give nothing value for these games at all.

Give Marjamäki some time to fix those problems what Finland has.
I don't get it why every home couch coach and expert wants fire Marjam�ki immediately.

Honestly said if / when those home couch coaches and experts knows better than Marjamäki what to do they should be behind the bench and coach Team Finland.

BL92

Double Gold
May 22, 2016
Finland
EHT is only practicing to 2017 men's world championships.
And i don't give nothing value for these games at all.

Give Marjamäki some time to fix those problems what Finland has.
I don't get it why every home couch coach and expert wants fire Marjam�ki immediately.

Honestly said if / when those home couch coaches and experts knows better than Marjamäki what to do they should be behind the bench and coach Team Finland.
I'm not saying that I know better nor am I saying that he should be fired, but critique is in order.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
Granted, Finland didn't have a great roster when compared to other countries in the World Cup, but Finland was absolutely humiliated.

Only the best situation ever at goalie and centre positions for a Northern American tournament.

edd1e

Sep 11, 2004
Helsinki, Finland
From what i've seen Marjamäki seem to really like that dump and chase tactic. I don't like that tactic too much.. it's so hard to get quality scoring chances.

Hard pressure seems to get us into trouble all the time no matter what level.

Right now it seems we are not good in any of the three zones. How can you win with that?

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
Also the least experienced and worst defense for one as well.

Maybe but who forced to take young, foolish and green 'NHL' (more like AHL quality) defenders when there are still experienced Finnish KHLers left. I think it is too easy to play it on the current material or even forgive without highlighting how the tournament was set-up for failure.

The Leading One is right in that Marjamäki should have the freedom to build his own coaching team. All respect to Teppo Numminen's playing career but how in the hell a man can take a two year long break from coaching, very early in his coaching career, and reappear at Finnish national team bench! Yet he was the most qualified of the entourage contributing to the game plan and player choices so good pick I guess...

Says something about how weak the culture of play is still in Finnish ice hockey despite couple decades of mostly incredible coaching which led to many successful KHL head coaches among others. Without Westerlund and Rautakorpi available for domestic use... in what state would Finnish ice hockey association be?

FinRuutu

Red Wins
Feb 7, 2010
Helsinki
Seems like hes really stubborn or bad at adjusting.

Like in WC he had Vatman and Laine playing 1PP and everyone and their mother saw that Vatanen-Laine didn't work, both wanted to shoot and Vatanen didn't feed Laine at all. Marjamäki didn't see that obviously because he didn't do anything to fix the problem.

We can all hope that its only growing pains but we'll see.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
Seems like hes really stubborn or bad at adjusting.

Like in WC he had Vatman and Laine playing 1PP and everyone and their mother saw that Vatanen-Laine didn't work, both wanted to shoot and Vatanen didn't feed Laine at all. Marjamäki didn't see that obviously because he didn't do anything to fix the problem.

We can all hope that its only growing pains but we'll see.

Sihvonen's theory that the assistant coaches did that would explain a lot, sometimes smoke does mean fire - and sometimes a blind chicken does find a seed :amazed:

I think it likely, because when you get the job as a sort of promotion, reward, and you really really want it - dream of it, you don't have the guts to demand things you should.
Well, head coach should choose assistants, it works that way even in football. Mourinho to Manchester, multiple coaches fired and new ones appointed.

BL92

Double Gold
May 22, 2016
Finland
Finland losing to Czechs 4-0 in the EHT tournament. Has Marjamäki been able to pull off a single win?

Last edited:

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
IIRC (Kari) Jalonen didn't have that great of a EHT record during his first year and he took the team to the WHC final in his second year. Give the new guy time.

Vohaul

Jan 24, 2017
Not particularly impressive showing in the last EHT either. 1 win against sweden..
I agree, better give him time though.
There's a chance that his style of coaching might be better for a team playing a long season rather than a tournament style coaching but I dont think a few EHT tournaments are enough to determine that.. he's played quite a few first timers and such in the EHT's as well.
I think he's a promising coach with some good ideas, and of course what he achieves with K�rp�t does speak for itself. Wether he's a suitable coach for the national team remains to be seen.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
Not particularly impressive showing in the last EHT either. 1 win against sweden..
I agree, better give him time though.
There's a chance that his style of coaching might be better for a team playing a long season rather than a tournament style coaching but I dont think a few EHT tournaments are enough to determine that.. he's played quite a few first timers and such in the EHT's as well.
I think he's a promising coach with some good ideas, and of course what he achieves with Kärpät does speak for itself. Wether he's a suitable coach for the national team remains to be seen.

Yes. Eyebrows are raised certainly, but I remember that in 2010 I wanted J Jalonen to be fired. Only 1 real win in Olympics, 6-1 thumping and lucky draw to reach bronze game.

Vohaul

Jan 24, 2017
Yes. Eyebrows are raised certainly, but I remember that in 2010 I wanted J Jalonen to be fired. Only 1 real win in Olympics, 6-1 thumping and lucky draw to reach bronze game.

Precisely, J Jalonen didn't have such a gear start as the national team coach.. now he's got gold in men AND juniors. Sometimes patience does pay off..

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Marjamäki announced today that he will not sign an extension after the following season. Karri kivi or Jukka Jalonen to replace him?

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Marjamäki announced today that he will not sign an extension after the following season. Karri kivi or Jukka Jalonen to replace him?

Kivi or Tapola. Don't see Jalonen wanting to go back.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I can see them checking out Kivi's availability first. If he's a no go, they have a good year to prep Tapola for the role, since he's already part of the NT coaching staff and has no other commitments, save for a cushy desk job in Tappara.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Kari Jalonen said when he was named the NT coach, that "it's a dream for every (Finnish) coach". I think that "dream" has taken a slight dent with the circus (deservedly or undeservedly, Marjamäki is no saint though) that took place after Marjamäki stepped in.

Kivi has a long contract (IIRC, didn't Ilves extend him for a couple more years on top of the original deal?) and I think he wants to see that project through. Tapola makes sense, since he isn't committed to a proper coaching gig, he also has experience with the junior NTs. Jukka Jalonen would be a safe option, NT has cycled through the same coaches in the past too.

However, I'm gonna take a stab in the dark and say they'll go with a North-American coach.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Kari Jalonen said when he was named the NT coach, that "it's a dream for every (Finnish) coach". I think that "dream" has taken a slight dent with the circus (deservedly or undeservedly, Marjamäki is no saint though) that took place after Marjamäki stepped in.

Kivi has a long contract (IIRC, didn't Ilves extend him for a couple more years on top of the original deal?) and I think he wants to see that project through. Tapola makes sense, since he isn't committed to a proper coaching gig, he also has experience with the junior NTs. Jukka Jalonen would be a safe option, NT has cycled through the same coaches in the past too.

However, I'm gonna take a stab in the dark and say they'll go with a North-American coach.

Why North-American coach and are you sure Doug Shedden wants to coach team Finland again.
Jussi Ahokas is also good option his contract with U20 team expiring after world juniors so why he can't be next head coach.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Jussi Ahokas is also good option his contract with U20 team expiring after world juniors so why he can't be next head coach.
Ahokas' contract actually runs through these and the next U20 games.

Though that in itself would be a non-issue, since it's not like Liitto has to wait for the previous contract to end if they want to promote someone within their own organization.

What's a huge issue however is the kooky idea that someone with Ahokas' current CV would be considered as the Men's NT head coach. He's a reasonably merited junior coach at the moment, but he has zero experience with men.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Why North-American coach and are you sure Doug Shedden wants to coach team Finland again.
Who brought up Shedden? Certainly not me and Westerlund was the example I was referring to (I'm sure there's been others, but Erkka is the most modern one) with J. Jalonen potentially returning.

My point with a NA coach was, that the NT wants to play at a faster pace and close the gap to the other top nations. Let's be honest, we don't have a coach internally that can do that and the process is going to be painful. All of our domestic coaches lining up for the job come with a successful track record and high expectations (look no further than the current HC). As I already said, the process of transforming the NT's play style is going to take time (2 years at the very least, more likely 3, + Liiga has to play its part too), time that a domestic coach won't get before the masses are hunting him down with pitchforks. That's why I think it makes sense to hire a NA guy, because the pressure on him wouldn't be as bad and it would also give the NT a clear future direction, kind of like an NHL team rebuilding.

Now who would that guy be, I have no idea. Someone that's recently been coaching in the NHL is probably too pricey, unless it's an assistant. Former AHL head coach and current/recently let go NHL assistant maybe?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad