Lauri Korpikoski

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prucha73

I think it is hype generated by Kyle Woodlief, before he put him in his top 10, I didn't see much mention of Korpikoski.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Great international tournaments are why Korpikoski is rated so high. It seems as though not many people (scouts) had seen any or much of him before the 5 Nations tournament a few months ago. It was then when Redline started to hype him, I don't know about others.

Seems to have very good intangibles [as in good frame, can skate very well, good offensive skills], and was consistently great at the international tournaments. I'm really hoping he falls to #31.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
MrKnowNothing said:
Great international tournaments are why Korpikoski is rated so high. It seems as though not many people (scouts) had seen any or much of him before the 5 Nations tournament a few months ago. It was then when Redline started to hype him, I don't know about others.

Seems to have very good intangibles [as in good frame, can skate very well, good offensive skills], and was consistently great at the international tournaments. I'm really hoping he falls to #31.

I think your chances are really good then ! Because this draft is kind of "unkown" . And no one really knows whos going to be picked where , so he could go into the top 15 or even into the second round . Hell Trajac is is being considered going into the first round .

Last edited:

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
King Henry I said:
Can anybody explain his rapid rise through draft boards recently? And how many teams are willing to take a risk on a guy who hasn't proved much consistently and isn't going to be NHL ready for 2 or 3 seasons?

From what I can tell he is the typical European project pick. Which teams are interested?

1. Not sure he's been any more inconsistent than most prospects.

2. Most players aren't ready for the NHL for 3-4 years at least.

3. Typical European project pick? His game sounds very suited to the NHL. Not sure what makes him typical or a project, you'll have to explain that one to me.

Based on the reports I've read I would say that Calgary would be very interested. Sounds like a very aggressive forechecker, great skater and hard worker who has a good skill set to boot. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see him go at #19, in fact he's one of my favourite prospects that we might pick there.

GaryU

May 17, 2004
Schaumburg,Il
I think the number is 32. He needs to fall to 32. I'm sure Chicago would like to give Ruutu a homey to hang with. This of course considering they don't take Tukonen.
:dunno:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Would be interesting to here a opinion on him from someone who has seen more of him. However I am not at all impressed by the little I´ve seen of him. He has wheels and a good attitude other then that nothing...(sure he is well rounded but he isn´t above averge, especially among projected 1st round picks from europe, in any other skill) I can´t see what would make someone like Woodlief think of him as a top 10 pick???

kolanos

Nov 7, 2003
This years rankings seem to promote lines as much as individual players. In Korpikoski it may be as much his line as his individual abilities. Probably more of a symptom of a shallow draft than anything.

Korpikoski-Nokelainen-Tukonen -- that prolific WJC line is 1, 2, 3 ranked Finns

You see the same with guys like Zajac and Chucko, Chucko probably wouldn't be as highly ranked if it weren't for playing with Zajac. Or Schremp and Bolland, Bolland got a lot of attention when he outplayed the highly ranked Schremp. Schultz and Rogers, etc. It's nothing new, but it is more obvious this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->