Laura Stamm Powerskating Clinics

lotus

Jul 22, 2006
New York
why don't you just take the season off and work on just your skating at public sessions, and just play open hockey? I did that when I hurt my knee and worked on perfecting the technique of my edges, turns, crossovers, balance, etc.

Well I like to do both. The thing about open hockey is that nobody tries all the time, I'm addicted to competition. I deeked by a guy once and he never even attempted to play me and after that he was like woah did everyone see that move. And of course I took it as a huge insult. I guess what I love about hockey is just the competition and teamwork, if I have no real team and nothing to play for but fun, then I'm not motivated.

I do go to public sessions, not as often as I would like though. Mostly because I have nobody to tell me if I'm doing something wrong or to show me something new. That's all stuff I can get with a team. No point in practicing if you're doing it all wrong.

Muttley*

Well I like to do both. The thing about open hockey is that nobody tries all the time, I'm addicted to competition. I deeked by a guy once and he never even attempted to play me and after that he was like woah did everyone see that move. And of course I took it as a huge insult. I guess what I love about hockey is just the competition and teamwork, if I have no real team and nothing to play for but fun, then I'm not motivated.

I do go to public sessions, not as often as I would like though. Mostly because I have nobody to tell me if I'm doing something wrong or to show me something new. That's all stuff I can get with a team. No point in practicing if you're doing it all wrong.

But even though he's not trying, you're still practicing working on your moves. There's nothing like the competition of a game that really counts for something, but I like to use open hockey to try things out that I wouldn't normally do in a game or even have time for in a game. I hold onto the puck longer, make a riskier pass, etc.

McNasty

Jan 20, 2007
Rutgers
Agreed, if you screw up in Open hockey who cares, but it's a great chance to see what you can do. I mean sure the defense isn't great, but toe dragging a guy who isn't trying is better than toe dragging with no defender at all.

lotus

Jul 22, 2006
New York
Agreed, if you screw up in Open hockey who cares, but it's a great chance to see what you can do. I mean sure the defense isn't great, but toe dragging a guy who isn't trying is better than toe dragging with no defender at all.

true. I think next time i feel a defender isnt going to try and play me I'm just gonna slide it through him and throw a shoulder in his face. Always wanted to pull one of those haha.

keef

Dec 25, 2006
San Jose
FWIW, my son took the Robby Glantz Power Skating clinic before his freshman year in H.S., he's been the fastest skater on his H.S. and travel team ever since, and he's a junior now. It was a little pricey at $350 for a week long camp, but it was well worth it. He's a fantastically fast skater now.

FWIW, I've also heard great things about this clinic.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Has anyone ever been to one of these?

I'm new to Ice and this season has been rough on me. I've been a roller hockey player all my life and the transition to on ice stick handling, skating, stopping, etc has been horrible!

There's one of these clinics coming by my area. It's a 3 day deal, 2 hours a day. $200 to sign up. I don't want to dish out $200 if this is just some conditioning, so if anyone has some information I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Lotus- Learning to skate the right is never wrong, I am sure there are allot of very simple tips a good skating coach can give you that would help you.

But, its also really important to skate, skate and then skate some more. I remember roller skating for the first time, I could have killed myself. Completly diffrent then dooing it on the ice. You need to get the feel for the baldes and the ice, thats whats most important.

I don't know how it works, but if you can choose between quality (Laura Staam) or quantity (just ice time), Id defenitly go with quantity.

lotus

Jul 22, 2006
New York
I don't know how it works, but if you can choose between quality (Laura Staam) or quantity (just ice time), Id defenitly go with quantity.

I think I've definitely gone with quantity and am also looking at new skates now to be a better fit.

If by midway through this season I haven't improved good enough, I'll start looking into lessons again.

frito

Jan 27, 2007
Cincinnati
I've done Laura Stamm before when I was about 36 or so. My then 7 year old daughter did it with me. It didn't really matter that they combined adults and kids, it was all about maximizing your skating skill, skating explosively and skating efficiently. It was the first time I had skated in many months and let me tell you, I was sore. I learned a lot of valuable techniques that I try to incorporate but like anything else, if you don't use it you lose it. I highly recommend going to it if you have the chance.

BleedBruins

Feb 5, 2003
weston, ct
Visit site
I think I've definitely gone with quantity and am also looking at new skates now to be a better fit.

If by midway through this season I haven't improved good enough, I'll start looking into lessons again.

Get the book. You can work on the same principles yourself. I think its well written and explains what her point is with pictures as well.

IMO, the class is good but it can be either overload or you don't get enough out of it.
Read the book, understand the book, practice, practice, practice. If you still think you want the class, great, but up until then it has only cost you the $20 book price.

lotus

Jul 22, 2006
New York
Get the book. You can work on the same principles yourself. I think its well written and explains what her point is with pictures as well.

IMO, the class is good but it can be either overload or you don't get enough out of it.
Read the book, understand the book, practice, practice, practice. If you still think you want the class, great, but up until then it has only cost you the $20 book price.

Thanks, I think I'll do that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad