Laura Stamm Powerskating Clinics

lotus

Jul 22, 2006
New York
Has anyone ever been to one of these?

I'm new to Ice and this season has been rough on me. I've been a roller hockey player all my life and the transition to on ice stick handling, skating, stopping, etc has been horrible!

There's one of these clinics coming by my area. It's a 3 day deal, 2 hours a day. $200 to sign up. I don't want to dish out $200 if this is just some conditioning, so if anyone has some information I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Doctor Hook

Mar 11, 2006
Boston
I didn't take Laura Stamm but growing up I did take power skating classes when I went to hockey camps and I know that learning to skate correctly is one of the best assets I have in my game. $200 doesn't sound that bad and it sounds like you have the desire to improve your skating and it could be a good investment.

Gino 14

Aug 23, 2006
I never took the Laura Stamm class, but did take a power skating clinic at our local rink. Be prepared to be very sore and very tired. It was money well spent.

lotus

Jul 22, 2006
New York
haha I really do want to improve my skating. My problem is, on Ice im not a very quick skater, im used to roller hockey where speed is my game. And i deeply believe that a good skater is better than being a good anything else, thus it's the most important thing to improve.

But man the $200 i have laying around I was going to buy new skates with! Ahah, the ironic dillema.

lotus

Jul 22, 2006
New York
I've got to find another hockey league to join if I decide to do this, otherwise it kind of goes to waste. I'm having allot of trouble finding a league around here. The cost of new skates + lessons + league fee's....man i'll be broke!

Tracy

Jul 27, 2002
Hamburg, NY
Visit site
FWIW, my son took the Robby Glantz Power Skating clinic before his freshman year in H.S., he's been the fastest skater on his H.S. and travel team ever since, and he's a junior now. It was a little pricey at $350 for a week long camp, but it was well worth it. He's a fantastically fast skater now.

petenik

Oct 18, 2006
parts unknown
another cheaper option is to buy her book, and actually read it and practice at open skates in your area. I did that and my skating improved a lot. The book covers a lot more than you would in a 3 day course, but you don't get the instant expert correction you would in the course so it's a trade off.

petenik

Oct 18, 2006
parts unknown
another cheaper option is to buy her book, and actually read it and practice at open skates in your area. I did that and my skating improved a lot. The book covers a lot more than you would in a 3 day course, but you don't get the instant expert correction you would in the course so it's a trade off.

Muttley*

Like somone mentioned above, her book is awesome. It's a little technical & complicating, but she really breaks it down. And do I mean break it down. You learn about balance, positioning, training drills, etc. A lot of it is overkill, but it is correct. I never took her class, but I do have her book.

Remember, no matter how many books or power skating clinics you take, if you don't practice what you learn on a regular basis, you'll just be wasting your money.

Hank19

Apr 11, 2005
Laura Stamm is the best in the business. If you have the opportunity to take her class I would do it.
And she's not all about skating until you drop over from exhaustion. She often says, 'What's the point of skating over and over again if you're skating wrong'.

I know a guy that started skating at a very advanced age and was basically Bambi on ice. After taking her class he's one of the best skaters in our mens league.

I've been wanting to take one of her classes for some time now.

lotus

Jul 22, 2006
New York
Like somone mentioned above, her book is awesome. It's a little technical & complicating, but she really breaks it down. And do I mean break it down. You learn about balance, positioning, training drills, etc. A lot of it is overkill, but it is correct. I never took her class, but I do have her book.

Remember, no matter how many books or power skating clinics you take, if you don't practice what you learn on a regular basis, you'll just be wasting your money.

If I could I'd practice 6 hours a day until I couldn't walk. The problem is it's $8 a session here, for only an hour of ice. That's a brutal price to pay. I've thought about just buying the book now. I've been skating with skates that are too big. But I refuse to buy new ones untill I know im in another league. I still cant find one around here. Hockey is dead in New York, gotta go upstate NY or down in Jersey to find something.

lotus

Jul 22, 2006
New York
I have always wondered how good of a skater you would have to be to get maximum out of a clinic like that

Me too...would you chance $200 on it?

How much can you really get in 6 hours is what im wondering.

handout says they cover more than skating though (i dont know how accurate that is cause I think it depends on what the rink wanted and thus the price of the clinic, as they vary from area to area). But they seem to cover shooting, stick handling etc. Resistance training and other stuff.

I'm a terrible skater though, I gotta do something :(

Muttley*

If I could I'd practice 6 hours a day until I couldn't walk. The problem is it's $8 a session here, for only an hour of ice. That's a brutal price to pay. I've thought about just buying the book now. I've been skating with skates that are too big. But I refuse to buy new ones untill I know im in another league. I still cant find one around here. Hockey is dead in New York, gotta go upstate NY or down in Jersey to find something.

If you live in the City you have SkyRink, RiverBank, Wollman & Lasker, Bryant Park and the new Aviator complex in Brooklyn. If you have a car, there are plenty of places in Jersey. There's Hackensack & Montclair that have 2 hour sessions for $8 and $7. There's a municipal outdoor rink in Secaucus right near the Lincoln Tunnel that has 2-hour public skating sessions, 7 days a week, several times a day, for $3

Wooty

Dec 31, 2006
Harbor City, CA
Me too...would you chance $200 on it?

How much can you really get in 6 hours is what im wondering.

handout says they cover more than skating though (i dont know how accurate that is cause I think it depends on what the rink wanted and thus the price of the clinic, as they vary from area to area). But they seem to cover shooting, stick handling etc. Resistance training and other stuff.

I'm a terrible skater though, I gotta do something :(
I do have the book and it does help if you are patient and can concentrate on the principals she is explaining. You need to visualize what she is explaining to you and put them to use on the ice.

For me, it would be the need to get some reinforcement and correction on what I am doing. I am a mid level - aging and gaining weight - skater, am I even in shape enough to do this?

I will try to get ahold of my nephew, he plays juniors and see if he has done this sort of thing

lotus

Jul 22, 2006
New York
Exactly what I'm worried about, being able to really get anything out of this, being at the level required. It says ages 7-adult or 8-adult depending on where. I can't imagine you got to be really really fit or experienced I guess.

As for my league search, the closest one Looks like Elmsford New York which is just across the Hudson river for me. I actually bought my stick there but damn i was lost for over an hour and a half once i crossed the bridge. There were no exits going the wrong way for about 15 minutes at one point.....*shudder* maybe i'll try the trip again. Bout at 30-45 minute drive eh..

I live in Rockland County NY btw muttley, thanks though!

brother52

Sep 15, 2006
Russia
I bought Laura Stamm's book after watching both scating instruction videos by Robby Glants (robbyglantz.com). I must say I was a little disappointed by Stamm's book because it covers much less ground than these videos and was much less helpful to me as a learning tool. I doesn't even talk about a few important nuances and advanced moves that Glantz explains in detail.

With all the experience and reputation she has, the class has to be really good. But if you don't take it, I suggest that you buy some videos (her, or Glantz's) instead of her book.

saveourpens

Jul 3, 2006
Pittsburgh
She came to teach my team 3 or so weeks ago. She was very helpful and actually made it fun...she also has the biggest Canadian accent you will ever hear.

You should definetley do it. I don't know how we got her to come to our team, but the stuff that she was teaching was invaluable. She definetley knew what she was talking about and I tried to soak it in as much as I could.

Muttley*

Exactly what I'm worried about, being able to really get anything out of this, being at the level required. It says ages 7-adult or 8-adult depending on where. I can't imagine you got to be really really fit or experienced I guess.

As for my league search, the closest one Looks like Elmsford New York which is just across the Hudson river for me. I actually bought my stick there but damn i was lost for over an hour and a half once i crossed the bridge. There were no exits going the wrong way for about 15 minutes at one point.....*shudder* maybe i'll try the trip again. Bout at 30-45 minute drive eh..

I live in Rockland County NY btw muttley, thanks though!

You have Sport O Rama in Monsey & the Palisades Center Rink in Rockland. Palisades has public sessions on Sat. & Sun. I also know a lot of people that live in Rockland that come down Route 17 to the Ice House in Hackensack. It's not that far.

lotus

Jul 22, 2006
New York
I play in my league at the Palisades Center, I don't think I'm going to be able to enter the next one though as I kind of got lucky with a team needing a guy and I don't think it's going to be the same case this time around. They're not too big on individual applications.

I've been to Sport-O-Rama but it's tough to find information about adult leagues there, that's not far though.

And I've never been to Ice House, not far either but I can't remember their league. I think it's April - June in which case that's not too long. But always a possibility.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
its great if you can go...if you don't have the money go sit in the stands and take notes...[or-and]....buy her book.and then go to the rink and do it...you can get a lot of ice time for $200

Pure Rock Fury*

I did her camp a few times as a kid back when Robbie Glantz was the head instructor. I think it was one of the most important things I've ever done. I'd even put it above Turcotte stickhandling camp with Sean Skinner.

My advice: do it and don't give it a second thought.

Muttley*

I play in my league at the Palisades Center, I don't think I'm going to be able to enter the next one though as I kind of got lucky with a team needing a guy and I don't think it's going to be the same case this time around. They're not too big on individual applications.

I've been to Sport-O-Rama but it's tough to find information about adult leagues there, that's not far though.

And I've never been to Ice House, not far either but I can't remember their league. I think it's April - June in which case that's not too long. But always a possibility.

why don't you just take the season off and work on just your skating at public sessions, and just play open hockey? I did that when I hurt my knee and worked on perfecting the technique of my edges, turns, crossovers, balance, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad