Laughable Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.

dedalus

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
From today's Post:
What would the league be afraid of, that Crosby wouldn't choose to assign himself to a small-market outpost such as Columbus, Pittsburgh or Edmonton for the first 12 years of his career? Heavens. Wasn't shutting down for a full season, isn't insisting on a restrictive hard cap, aren't these drastic enough measures to satisfy the apparently insatiable appetite of the small markets and their league enablers?

Somehow, it appears as if adopting a lottery weighted by aggregate records over the last four seasons is gaining favor among league personnel. Well, of course. Why not? Why wouldn't these myopic, small-minded people want to embrace a system that would award Columbus the most desirable spot in the lottery?

This is the same Larry Brooks who wrote less than a month ago: "This is also the time for all of us to lower our voices, myself included .... Each of us has an obligation to stop dragging it — and each other — through the mud .... We have to stop trying to destroy one another. We have to stop with the name-calling and the character-assassination."

One has to wonder if Larry considers his credibility when in one article he calls for an end to name-calling and character-assassination, but in an article less than a month removed from the first he tosses off the terms "myopic" and "small-minded."

As always, well done, Mr. Brooks! :clap:

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Larry Brooks never fails to entertain us, man that was hilarious piece yet again.

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
dedalus said:
From today's Post:

This is the same Larry Brooks who wrote less than a month ago: "This is also the time for all of us to lower our voices, myself included .... Each of us has an obligation to stop dragging it — and each other — through the mud .... We have to stop trying to destroy one another. We have to stop with the name-calling and the character-assassination."

One has to wonder if Larry considers his credibility when in one article he calls for an end to name-calling and character-assassination, but in an article less than a month removed from the first he tosses off the terms "myopic" and "small-minded."

As always, well done, Mr. Brooks! :clap:
wack me if you want but i hope sydney crosby goes to a big market team - the rangers would be great for the game - the league needs serious amercian nationwide marketing

NYIsles1*

mr gib said:
wack me if you want but i hope sydney crosby goes to a big market team - the rangers would be great for the game - the league needs serious amercian nationwide marketing
Brooks should do his homework.

Team USA used NationWide Arena for the World Cup Exhibition games and drew far more fans than Msg ever would have.

The Rangers are invisible in NYC and could not get anyone interested in teams with some of the biggest stars in hockey. Crosby is completely unknown here except to hockey diehards.

On Crosby's best day he is superstar #25 in NYC.

Unless he's going to the Yankees or Mets pick another place because in baseball's largest market there is nothing the NHL can do to get the general media or the public to be bothered with Crosby or hockey. Baseball is THE 365 day story.

Maybe the right lottery is to award Crosby based on smart business management. Least money spent for each win on avg per team...

Last edited by a moderator:

Master Shake*

mr gib said:

Crosby going to a big market would have minimal impact on league exposure. Its a vastly over rated argument.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
This is that reptilian looking dude that makes me nervous I may encounter him in a dark alley, as he emerges from a sewer. So he's contradicting himself with his name calling?? There's a suprise. This guy would fall all over himself to please any player who gave him the opportunity to pamper their poodle. This guy isn't even entertaining anymore. He's about as credible as his assinine trade "rumors" that pop up on Spector's. :shakehead

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
NYIsles1 said:

Team USA used NationWide Arena for the World Cup Exhibition games and drew far more fans than Msg ever would have.

The Rangers are invisible in NYC and could not get anyone interested in teams with some of the biggest stars in hockey. Crosby is completely unknown here except to hockey diehards.

Unless he's going to the Yankees or Mets pick another place because in baseball's largest market there is nothing the NHL can do to get the general media or the public to be bothered with Crosby or hockey. Baseball is THE 365 day story.

Maybe the right lottery is to award Crosby based on smart business management. Least money spent for each win on avg per team...
i understand the rangers have dipped in the last seven year's for sure - but with some sydney success and madison avenue down the road reebok would be dancing in the streets

shveik

Jul 6, 2002
Visit site
From business of hockey perspective, it would be best if Crosby ends up in one of *potentially* large markets. IMO, Columbus would be perfect fit, but that would be unfair from the hockey perspective, they already have Nash and Zherdev. Another good fit is Chicago, but only if Wirtz sells the team ;) My second choices would be Islanders, Kings, Ducks, Sharks, Stars.

Kritter471

Feb 17, 2005
Dallas
I will say this for the Stars, though I have no designs on them landing Crosby.

They know how to market the game and its players. Modano, Hull and Belfour are beloved down here even by people who have no clue of the difference between the blue line and the red line. They sold a game to a football-crazy metropolition area that had just 250 kids playing recreational ice hockey in 1993 and only one (two sheets) non-mall rink.

If the league was concerned with soley marketing Crosby, I could see the Stars, Sharks, Wings or Avs being good choices. Big-market, big-advertising heavies. But that's not how this is going to fall out, imo.

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
shveik said:
From business of hockey perspective, it would be best if Crosby ends up in one of *potentially* large markets. IMO, Columbus would be perfect fit, but that would be unfair from the hockey perspective, they already have Nash and Zherdev. Another good fit is Chicago, but only if Wirtz sells the team ;) My second choices would be Islanders, Kings, Ducks, Sharks, Stars.
boy if he landed in columbus the old boy's would freak

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
mr gib said:

last yr at this time,Brooks was writing Ovechkin(sp) to the ranger articles.

rangers have missed the playoffs for 7 straight yrs.They've drafted highly during those yrs.

If another team besides the rangers wins the Crosby lottery and the rangers want Crosby...let the rangers offer a package of that cheap,bluechip talent and try to trade for the #1.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
NYIsles1 said:
Maybe the right lottery is to award Crosby based on smart business management.
Not a bad Idea .. Award him to the most profitable team last season .. They show the best business sense and should be awarded for it ..

I like it ..

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
The Messenger said:
Not a bad Idea .. Award him to the most profitable team last season .. They show the best business sense and should be awarded for it ..

I like it ..

SInce the Leafs made money during the Ballard era, I will hypothesize that making money doesn't necessarily prove any particular business savvy in every instance...

NYIsles1*

The Messenger said:
I like it ..
Lottery would not based on business profits off the ice.

It would be based on wins vs payroll on a four year avg.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
Wayne Gretzky became a sports legend playing in the sports marketing hotbed called Edmonton. ;)

Mario Lemieux has carved his reputation playing in the Igloo in Pittsburgh PA. Not exactly the mecca of sports. ;)

No offense intended to either of those cities. Point is, where Crosby ends up is relatively inconsequential.

If he becomes the real deal, he will be noticed and the league will benefit, regardless of whether he plays in NYC, Nashville, or Calgary.

However, the real question is whether his impact will ever extend significantly beyond the average hockey diehard. The expectations here are not high, based on past history.

The NHL in the 1980s featured the most dominant athlete in professional team sports in the 20th Century. (Statistically, at least, that is not debatable.) Fast forward to 2005. How did that translate into success for the league?

A US TV contract worth a bag of peanuts, and a slew of franchises (some a result of over-ambitious expansion) crying poverty.

And I defy anyone to suggest that had #99 played his entire career in NY or Toronto, or Chicago or LA (read: major media market) that the NHL today would be swimming in exposure and $$$.

To be sure, there have been other factors along the way that have contributed to the NHL maintaining a dismal standing among US sports fans.

But a word of caution to those who dream that Crosby will make the NHL "mainstream" popular "if we just get him in the right market, on the right team". He'll undoubtedly be popular among those of us who love the sport; a small clique indeed.

Beyond that? Color this fan dubious. Even if plays on blue ice,, is shooting at oblique nets and participating in silly individual skills competitions at the end of tie games.

Last edited:

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Trottier said:
Wayne Gretzky became a sports legend playing in the sports marketing hotbed called Edmonton. ;)

Mario Lemieux has carved his reputation playing in the Igloo in Pittsburgh PA. Not exactly the mecca of sports. ;)

No offense intended to either of those cities. Point is, where Crosby ends up is relatively inconsequential.

If he becomes the real deal, he will be noticed and the league will benefit, regardless of whether he plays in NYC, Nashville, or Calgary.

However, the real question is whether his impact will ever extend significantly beyond the average hockey diehard. The expectations here are not high, based on past history.

The NHL in the 1980s featured the most dominant athlete in professional team sports in the 20th Century. (Statistically, at least, that is not debatable.) Fast forward to 2005. How did that translate into success for the league?

A US TV contract worth a bag of peanuts, and a slew of franchises (some a result of over-ambitious expansion) crying poverty.

And I defy anyone to suggest that had #99 played his entire career in NY or Toronto, or Chicago or LA (read: major media market) that the NHL today would be swimming in exposure and $$$.

To be sure, there have been other factors along the way that have contributed to the NHL maintaining a dismal standing among US sports fans.

But a word of caution to those who dream that Crosby will make the NHL "mainstream" popular "if we just get him in the right market, on the right team". He'll undoubtedly be popular among those of us who love the sport; a small clique indeed.

Beyond that? Color this fan dubious. Even if plays on blue ice,, is shooting at oblique nets and participating in silly individual skills competitions at the end of tie games.

Totally agree with you. Of course, I also agree with Brooks. Not because I think it matters what market Crosby plays in, but because every team should have an equal shot at the #1 overall pick, due to the season not having taken place. And this has nothing to do with big markets vs. small markets, because it gives a chance to teams like Calgary and Nashville as well, not just the Avs and Stars.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
NYIsles1 said:

Sorry im going to completely disagree...hockey is just not popular in NYC right now because the rangers were a horrible team in recent years and the Yankees have been on fire. Rewind back to early-mid 90's and the Rangers were one of the biggest things. Once the Rangers ever make the playoffs again they will get press coverage again in NY and all those casual fans will come out again and stick around until the Rangers go on a landslide again...which wont happen for a long time since we are rebuilding finally and not buying.

Poochie_D

Oct 31, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
i think crosby should go to a place were he would be dominant and that way he would attract fans from other buildings when his team visted. The best fit and his favorite team, montreal, would be a great choice for him. otherwise i think columbus or minnesota would be good choices.

shveik

Jul 6, 2002
Visit site
Trottier said:

As far as Crosby's personal achievements, it doesn't matter where he ends up. The rest is up for a debate. Mario and Gretzky ended up in the small markets and excelled. But what about those markets now, and how much did they contribute to the popularity of hockey as a whole? It is no secret that big markets bring much more nationwide exposure, so you can't deny a benefit to every NHL business if NHL gets on every news channel because Crosby is in Florida, Texas, California or NYC.

Of course Crosby (assuming he lives up to the Next One hype) will never be able to carry the financial success of the league on his shoulders. But IMO he could be a help in waking up a dormant large market area, or bring a good chunk of national exposure to the NHL.

hockeydadx2*

Cynical old me doesn't doubt for a minute that Crosby will wind up in New York. You may all recall the famous NBA draft lottery of 1985. The Knicks had the third worst record in the somewhat floundering NBA that year, and the prize was Patrick Ewing. I do not remember the exact numbers with respect to the odds, but a lot of people felt that the lottery that year was fixed because the NBA needed Ewing in NY. I would guess that ex-NBA employee Gary Bettman remembers what happened. Having Ewing in NY really helped the NBA turn the corner.

I would not be surprised in the least if history repeats itself here.

NYIsles1*

hockeydadx2 said:
Cynical old me doesn't doubt for a minute that Crosby will wind up in New York. You may all recall the famous NBA draft lottery of 1985. The Knicks had the third worst record in the somewhat floundering NBA that year, and the prize was Patrick Ewing. I do not remember the exact numbers with respect to the odds, but a lot of people felt that the lottery that year was fixed because the NBA needed Ewing in NY. I would guess that ex-NBA employee Gary Bettman remembers what happened. Having Ewing in NY really helped the NBA turn the corner.

I would not be surprised in the least if history repeats itself here.
Ewing may be the exact opposite of Crosby's circumstances. Ewing was on television for years in the New York market because of the rivalry with St John's and the NCAA's emormous popularity. Even caual sports fans here knew who Patrick Ewing was which is why the NBA's first lottey had such anticipation.

Outside of die-hard hockey fans who follow prospects Sidney Crosby is completely unknown in this market.

NYIsles1*

FLYLine4LIFE said:
Rewind back to early-mid 90's and the Rangers were one of the biggest things.
It's not the 80's or the early mid-90's anymore, that era of sports and how it was covered is gone forever in New York. The media here do not get to know the players anymore which is how things used to be.

Baseball does not have an off-season here so there is no reason for the media to give hockey any attention which is what used to bring in the casual fans. Hockey cannot compete with baseball or the other major market sports.

Why do you think the Devils won the cup it's a story that is good for a day or two at best. The media in the six months never took the time to let the public identify with the Devils or get to know them. Win or lose the same things happened to the Rangers and from Oct-April that's not going to change in the future.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
New York loves winners.When the Knicks were a competitive team during the Pat Riley and Jeff Van Gundy eras,the Knicks were a hot item in NY.They are going to miss the playoffs for the third time in four seasons.The Knicks are irrelevent in NY

The Rangers have missed the playoffs for seven straight years.Most the fans and the media are apathetic towards them but if they it around,the media coverage will be there

The Devils?They don't count.The New York media pays no attention to them

If Sidney Crosby were a Ranger and the franchise turns it around,hockey will become hot again in New York because the Rangers are the only hockey team which counts in NY

Before the Yankees started winning WS titles,the team was drawing flies in the Bronx.Every excuse in the world was used to explain the lack of the fans in the stands.The traffic.No parking.Bad neighborhood.Crime.All of those elements are still in Bronx but they will draw close to $4 million fans.Why?WINNING

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad