Latest Red Line article.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
This draft is a hell of a lot deeper than the godawful 2002 and 2004 drafts, so I'm not sure what he's talking about when he's bemoaning that the top tier this year is 'only' 12 players or so deep and one of the worst drafts in memory. The 2004 draft was 3 players deep, for crying out loud ...

It seems like a fairly average year to me. Much the same as last year.

Problem is that 2003 was such a freak year that every other year before and since looks like crap by comparison.

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
I've been asking this question for over a year: what exactly has Okposo done to warrant such high praise on all of these lists??

His stats were a fair bit lower that Towes in high school, and he is now doing OK in Tier II (11 points in 9 games). He was adequate at last year's U-17; quite a few forwards from the various Canadian teams and from his own US team were quite a bit better.

Frankly, IMO he is by far the most overrated name being bandied about in this year's top 20.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
This guy is sad. Just last year he praised how deep this draft and how strong it was going to be, and now he says its garbage. This is a top heavy loaded draft with a long way to go before we start figuring out everyone. Its not even close to those 2 horrible years 99' 02', and IMO its better then last years draft. His opinion of Peter Mueller must have been before he was named Player of the week! The kid is on fire now and I hope Kyle retracts that garbage statement when he goes #2 overall. I must not be smoking what redline is smoking.

X-SHARKIE

Juan said:
I've been asking this question for over a year: what exactly has Okposo done to warrant such high praise on all of these lists??

His stats were a fair bit lower that Towes in high school, and he is now doing OK in Tier II (11 points in 9 games). He was adequate at last year's U-17; quite a few forwards from the various Canadian teams and from his own US team were quite a bit better.

Frankly, IMO he is by far the most overrated name being bandied about in this year's top 20.

USHL is tier 1, he was great at the U-18's this year, he was great at Shattuck when I saw him play the Madison Capitals.

He's the real deal. I heard Anthony Stewart comparisons for his size, speed, and brash style of play, he rather go threw you then around you.

Kyle Calder, and Eric Cole play similar games.

One nock is that he lacks a bit of playmaking..

I'm looking forward to seeing him December 3rd vs. The Gamblers.

I just wanted to add, how can they hate on Mueller? The kid was great at the U-18 a year ago and after a slow start is tearing up the WHL, he is a special brute of a player.

Jordan Staal has tremendous upside and really lighting the lamp this year in Peterbrough.

Not to mention that James Sheppard after a strong U-18 is having some trouble, but nothing to get upset about.

06 looks fine to me.

Last edited:
AmericanDream said:
This guy is sad. Just last year he praised how deep this draft and how strong it was going to be, and now he says its garbage. This is a top heavy loaded draft with a long way to go before we start figuring out everyone. Its not even close to those 2 horrible years 99' 02', and IMO its better then last years draft. His opinion of Peter Mueller must have been before he was named Player of the week! The kid is on fire now and I hope Kyle retracts that garbage statement when he goes #2 overall. I must not be smoking what redline is smoking.

What garbage statement? All he said was that Mueller and Sheppard had slow starts, which they did. I'm not sure how you can retract something factual.

Kirk- NEHJ

Aug 22, 2002
CAV Country!
www.hockeyjournal.com
X-SHARKIE said:
I just wanted to add, how can they hate on Mueller? The kid was great at the U-18 a year ago and after a slow start is tearing up the WHL, he is a special brute of a player.

How does a guy who is rated 8th overall (down a whopping three slots from the preseason ranking of 5th) as Mueller is constitute being "hated" in your words?

I think you need to do your homework a little better on this one, Max. Red Line *may* have been critical of his slow start, but you can't just throw those comments out there and not take into account where they actually have him ranked, which is inside the top-10.

Once again- I find it truly telling that the people who have the biggest issue with Red Line are guys who don't subscribe. If you don't like the source, don't *read* the source. BUT- if you are going to *criticize* the source, at least get the facts straight. In your case, X- you're going off half-cocked and it really shows in your post.

X-SHARKIE

Kirk- NEHJ said:
How does a guy who is rated 8th overall (down a whopping three slots from the preseason ranking of 5th) as Mueller is constitute being "hated" in your words?

I think you need to do your homework a little better on this one, Max. Red Line *may* have been critical of his slow start, but you can't just throw those comments out there and not take into account where they actually have him ranked, which is inside the top-10.

Once again- I find it truly telling that the people who have the biggest issue with Red Line are guys who don't subscribe. If you don't like the source, don't *read* the source. BUT- if you are going to *criticize* the source, at least get the facts straight. In your case, X- you're going off half-cocked and it really shows in your post.

Sorry for choosing such strong words, I have nothing against red line, but IMO Mueller is a top end prospect, and saying that he attributes to the 06 classes lack of depth, was off base.

I'll eat my words next time though
:propeller

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
Anyone who reads Redline should take Woodlief's style with several grains of salt. The man is all about hyperbole. If he likes a player- it's all gushing fanboy accolades. If he doesn't- the player isn't seen fit to clean toilets in a Turkish prison.

So far '06 hasn't quite shown as many new, surprising, or playing-beyond-expectation players as perhaps last year did... the keywords being SO FAR. But in my discussions with scouts and other knowledgeable hockey observers consensus seems to be that it's overall pretty similar to last year's level- better in Europe by a reasonable bit. WHL down, Q down a little, O up slightly, US leagues (inc. college) about the same as last year, with the U18 team being better than in 05.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Woodlief didn't see Sheppard the last 3 or 4 games, his shoulder finally looks ok and he is playing excellent hockey, last night was his best game of the season.

crosby_87

Jun 22, 2005
This guy makes himself sound kind of stupid when he lists the top 10 prosects overall, and some of their schools are wrong. North Dakota University for Toews? Where is that? I know its minor, but the guy is writing for USA today, he better know his facts. And for Forney, Lincoln H.S., what is that? From everything I've read he goes to Thief River Falls High School in Minnesota. I'm really not sure what Lincoln H.S. is. Both are pretty minor errors but like I said, if this is for USA today I expect it to be right.

Pipeandin

Dec 7, 2004
crosby....University of North Dakota North Dakota University, is the same school just worded wrong. As for Forney, Lincoln HS is the school it is just in the city Thief River Falls I belive

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Pipeandin said:
crosby....University of North Dakota North Dakota University, is the same school just worded wrong. As for Forney, Lincoln HS is the school it is just in the city Thief River Falls I belive
He knows....it just does not look professional.

Rand

Oct 17, 2002
askme
AmericanDream said:
Its not even close to those 2 horrible years 99' 02', and IMO its better then last years draft.

While it is true that the 99 draft ended up being terrible, at the time the 99' draft year was pretty much unanimously regarded one of the deepest most talented draft pools ever.
It was the 2000' draft that was viewed as extremely poor, a few "safe" picks but not much depth and no one that had any likelyhood of being a superstar.

Woodlief was quoted as saying there the 2000' draft was almost devoid of top end talent, and had no one he could envision as being a top goal scorer.

Looking back, 99' was terrible... and the top 3 of 2000' extremely impressive. Almost the polar opposite of the scouting consensus.

Initial perceptions of the quality and depth of any given draft year are in the end merely educated guesses.

penkil2

Dec 5, 2003
MI
Visit site
Redline

This piece of crap is biased. Woodlief attacks players personally. He makes sarcastic remarks that have nothing to do with a players skill level.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
steblick said:
Anyone who reads Redline should take Woodlief's style with several grains of salt. The man is all about hyperbole. If he likes a player- it's all gushing fanboy accolades. If he doesn't- the player isn't seen fit to clean toilets in a Turkish prison.

steblick... have you ever been in a Turkish prison? Do you like movies about gladiators?

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
he also made a little cheap shot at the esposito family, pretty lame.

mueller started out fairly slow, but hes starting to pick it up, still feel he'll be dominating the dub in a very short time.

okposo is one of those prospects that some love or hate depending on you prefernce. hes a bull, a real strong kid, powerful shot, and pretty fast. if you like the type of prospect that is a meat and potatoes guy that can score goals you love him. if you like the smallish quick playmaker, then hes probably not as high on your list. the ushl is tier one, and if youve noticed, its not a real high scoring league, his point totals are actually very good considering his age, and the style of play. its not like the q, where games are wide open and high scoring.

i think sheppard will also continue to impress, and remain in the top 10

as for joenssu, or however you spell it, i think hes going to keep slipping. i made a statement that he was this years latendresse a few months ago, i can see him dropping out of the top 20.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad