Latendresse VS Vanek

Status
Not open for further replies.

HOCKEY_GURU

Jun 27, 2002
Visit site
If I pick a 10 year old hockey player and say he will turn out to be better than Latendresse in the future what would you say? well he could turn out to be the next hockey phenom or just another kid... get the point? and thats what this debate does when it projects someone much farther away than someone closer to proving himself, basically the farther away someone is from the NHL the wider the range is of what type of player they can become, and thus one can speculate for either argument that he will be better or worse than "prospect B"...and thats why most would rather compare people on the same development curve and find it silly to comapre players 3 or more years appart. Of course this is a prospect board and we all like to project...so why not simply accept talent analysis and a projection based on gut feeling and not pitt prospect A vs B if its and apples and oranges and end up with endless debates that no one can win.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
EagleBelfour said:
I'm a habs fan but all the Latendresse thread are going to far ... damn it! Latendresse will turn into a good player but compare Latendresse to Tomas Vanek it's just silly ... I know now why people think we (habs fan) are stupid, crazy and fool ...
(BTW if you havn't understand, I'd take Vanek by a mile ;) )

The thread starter, is not a Habs fan, and not one Habs fan who's written anything in this thread, has said that Latendresse > Vanek, don't perpetuate the image, most Habs fans aren't stupid, crazy and fools. (believe it or not :) )

Galchenkel

Nov 9, 2003
Saint Pierre
twitter.com
at the moment i go with Vanek even if Latendresse has a promising future has a Habs prospect. I love Latendresse but Vanek is doing so well since a couple years, i can't with Latendresse today, my mind tell me to do.

Mackee

Oct 9, 2003
Montreal
:shakehead

This is getting ridiculous. Either Hab fans feel the need to start stupid Latendresse threads, or everyone else has to make us look like morons because of said Hab fans.

Oh and I think Vanek might very well be the cream of the crop from that draft.

mytor4*

Legionnaire said:
You are a true genius Steve! This thread is brilliant! Brilliant I tell you!
all i can say is a genius is as close to an idiot as you can get, so i think we all really know what the started of this thread is.

jcorb58

Sep 28, 2004
Vanek might of made the Sabres last yr if not for the lockout. It would be the same as Latendresses if he gets sent down and makes the Habs in 2 yrs. How can you say someone that scored 41 goals in the ahl wasnt really ready last yr. I think Lats
has to work on his skating before he sticks for good with the big club. Great steal for the habs. I would go with Vanek. As the yr goes on and the vets get their legs back Lats might not look so wonderful. He certainly has the skills and should be a good one.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
DrMoses said:
Latendresse has a couple of impressive pre-season games and he becomes some sort of super prospect?

VANEK by far...
He was a super prospect anyway IMO.....I will go out on a limb and say Latendresse will have more career playoff points.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
mytor4 said:
all i can say is a genius is as close to an idiot as you can get, so i think we all really know what the started of this thread is.

Anybody got that picture of the bunny with the pancake on it's head?

Meat Wave

Apr 4, 2003
Canada
DrMoses said:
Latendresse has a couple of impressive pre-season games and he becomes some sort of super prospect?

Actually, it goes further than just an impressive first pre-season game. From the moment his injured shoulder started to heal properly, he became a force in the Q. From mid-season until the playoffs, he was without a doubt Drummondville's best player on the ice. Then came the first round of the playoffs, but his team lost in 4 games. In those 6 games, Guillaume had 6 goals and 4 assists for 10 points. A few weeks later, he had a very positive showing at the world U-18, as he was one of Canada's top forwards. Then, he was invited to the summer camp for Canada's U-20 team. Once again, he proved to be solid as he put up plenty of points in the intra-squad games and was named "Player of the game" on one occasion.

We all know about the rest. He took power skating lessons and had a terrific rookie camp and had his coming-out party at the Ottawa rookie tournament, as he was probably the 3rd best forward out of 5 teams..... as a 18-year-old, which says it all. And there he is, playing with amazing maturity and calm in his first pro camp. There are reasons for this sudden hype my friend. He really caught fire after his shoulder injury stopped bugging him. He has not yet reached the "super prospect" status though. There's no point of assuming that; a comparision with Vanek is plain silly, as Thomas is 3 years and 5 months older.

Maithz

Vanek Of Course , no discussion .

Latendresse could be a good 2nd liner but Vanek is a 1st liner for sure .

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Devilsfanatic said:
Not only that, but he's going to have a better career than Latendresse, the thought of Vanek not having a better career is laughable and you're only fooling yourself.

They're both different players with different upsides and at different points in their career coming from different backgrounds and hockey leagues.

Back when Bergeron was drafted, no one was thinking he'd be better than a lot of the guys drafted above him, yet it will happen.

Right now, Vanek looks better, who will have the better career, you just don't know.

But I'll leave you with your certainties and insightful posts about what is certain to happen in the future.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
HABS-65 said:
Vanek Of Course , no discussion .

Latendresse could be a good 2nd liner but Vanek is a 1st liner for sure .
Latendresse has much higher potential then a 2nd liner. The guy is definatly in the mold of a Cam Neely type player. Skating really is his only weakness and that is starting to improve alot. He is big, strong, mean, physical, smart and has amazing hand skills.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Although I completely disagree that Latendresse has just 2nd line upside, Vanek is certainly the better prospect.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Dr. kØUkLØs said:
Is this a joke or a question?
Nothing against Lantendresse... he's been superb.
But is this a joke or a question, seriously?

He's a flyers fan if I recall correctly. Probably making fun of all the sabres and habs fans who have created threads over these two prospects over the past week.

It Kills Me

Aug 6, 2004
Latendresse, either is a weak 2nd liner or bust.

Vanek is gonna be a consistent 25 goal (maybe more) guy.

Attica

Feb 21, 2004
The Office
CRAZY_FAN said:
Vanek right now but who really knows in 5 years :dunno: .

Here's a list of top 5 talent in there draft year that turn into bust or did not live up to their potential :

Daigle
Gratton
R. Niedermayer
Bonk
Bonsignore
Berg
Kilger
Zyuzin
Phillips
Dumont
Volchkov
Stefan
Sedins
Brendl
Connolly
Klesla

Let's stop here for now...

I wouldn't put the sedins in that list, they haven't reached their potential yet, but they're still only 24, and have progressed steadily. They outscore most 2nd lines with a fraction of the icetime.

Meat Wave

Apr 4, 2003
Canada
Skittles said:
Latendresse, either is a weak 2nd liner or bust.

WOW! Good post, champion! :shakehead

The guy turned 18 three months ago and you can already tell he'll either be a weak 2nd liner or a total bust. Bravo, buddy!
A round of applause just for you.

:handclap: :handclap: :handclap:

It Kills Me

Aug 6, 2004
Kyle Chipchura said:
WOW! Good post, champion! :shakehead

The guy turned 18 three months ago and you can already tell he'll either be a weak 2nd liner or a total bust. Bravo, buddy!
A round of applause just for you.

:handclap: :handclap: :handclap:

What.. I thought calling him a 2nd liner was being generous. I guess I'm like a St. Nic of prospects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->