Status
Not open for further replies.

loadie

Official Beer Taster
Sponsor
Jan 1, 2003
New Brunswick
SoCalSharkzFan said:
What I meant was the Habs fan's were banging their heads on the table that this thread was even made, because they know how silly it looks.

I miss understood what you were implying, sorry about that. I would bang my head on the table too, but I don't think the original poster is a Habs fan. Maybe it's a fascist wannabe stirring up trouble. :D

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
How can you even compare them? Latendresse was JUST drafted and he's only 18 years old! You can't possible expect anyone to say he's better than a guy like Vanek no less.

ephecks

Jan 3, 2005
CRAZY_FAN said:
Vanek right now but who really knows in 5 years :dunno: .

Here's a list of top 5 talent in there draft year that turn into bust or did not live up to their potential :

Daigle
Gratton
R. Niedermayer
Bonk
Bonsignore
Berg
Kilger
Zyuzin
Phillips
Dumont
Volchkov
Stefan
Sedins
Brendl
Connolly
Klesla

Let's stop here for now...

Your list means nothing....I could compile a list similar to yours of players taken in the second round who have accomplished nothing at the NHL level....but that would be pointless.

KariyaIsGod*

Latendresse has a couple of impressive pre-season games and he becomes some sort of super prospect?

VANEK by far...

CRAZY_FAN

Aug 26, 2002
Quebec
Panic said:
Your list means nothing....I could compile a list similar to yours of players taken in the second round who have accomplished nothing at the NHL level....but that would be pointless.
It means that who knows who will be better in a few years.....unless you see in the future you cannot say that Vanek will be better or that Latendresse will be better thats the point of the list. The goal of this list is not to say that Latendresse will be better, but that a 5th pick selection does not garanty success in the NHL.

Fan-of-#9

Dec 27, 2003
Southern Ontario
Visit site
CRAZY_FAN said:
It means that who knows who will be better in a few years.....unless you see in the future you cannot say that Vanek will be better or that Latendresse will be better thats the point of the list. The goal of this list is not to say that Latendresse will be better, but that a 5th pick selection does not garanty success in the NHL.

Of course it doesn't. But the chances are much greater when the prospect continues to impress since the day he was drafted. At this point Vanek looks to be the best player taken in that draft period.

ToNedOuT

Apr 22, 2004
Victoria BC
I'm a habs fan and all these posts do cause our fans to overate our prospects and others to underrate them. It leads to other posters hacking down our prospects, which causes a hab fan to defend the prospects, who then gets labelled a homer.

We have a great prospect pool, but they're just prospects. Unless you have the uncanny ability to see into the future you won't really know how things will workout.

That being said I would take Vanek at this point, but really how do you know which one will be better. They are both young, skilled players, who have promising futures. But promising futures can lead to broken dreams and unfulfilled potential.

CRAZY_FAN

Aug 26, 2002
Quebec
ToNedOuT said:
I'm a habs fan and all these posts do cause our fans to overate our prospects and others to underrate them. It leads to other posters hacking down our prospects, which causes a hab fan to defend the prospects, who then gets labelled a homer.

We have a great prospect pool, but they're just prospects. Unless you have the uncanny ability to see into the future you won't really know how things will workout.

That being said I would take Vanek at this point, but really how do you know which one will be better. They are both young, skilled players, who have promising futures. But promising futures can lead to broken dreams and unfulfilled potential.
Could not have said it better ! :)

CRAZY_FAN

Aug 26, 2002
Quebec
Fan-of-#9 said:
Of course it doesn't. But the chances are much greater when the prospect continues to impress since the day he was drafted. At this point Vanek looks to be the best player taken in that draft period.
How is he better (now) then Bergeron, Staal, Horton and Zherdev:dunno: . Anyway I got him in my keeper so lets hope your right and he do become the best player of his draft year !

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Before everyone starts bashing Habs fans, this thread wasn't created by one, and not a single Habs fan, has chosen Latendresse over Vanek.

As for the thread? Vanek, not even close

Nothing against Latendresse, but Vanek is sick (not litterally)

habs_24x

Sep 12, 2002
montreal
Visit site
Devilsfanatic said:
Not only that, but he's going to have a better career than Latendresse, the thought of Vanek not having a better career is laughable and you're only fooling yourself.

Threads like this do make Hab fans look bad but not as bad as this post...
how can you possibly know who will have the better carreer?

im pretty sure many said Luke Robitaille woudnt amount to much being chosen in the 7th round all those years ago and now hes a future hall of famer... get my drift?

MM425

Aug 14, 2005
WOW.

I'm as die hard as a habs fan as it gets but lets be serious... Latandresse has shown great stuff, but Vanek is a 40 goal scorer in the AHL!

Its not even close at this point! Vanek!

CH Wizard

Vanek because he's WAY MORE proven and has WAY better skills.

End of discussion.

Fan-of-#9

Dec 27, 2003
Southern Ontario
Visit site
CRAZY_FAN said:
How is he better (now) then Bergeron, Staal, Horton and Zherdev:dunno: . Anyway I got him in my keeper so lets hope your right and he do become the best player of his draft year !

Ya I guess you're right, after looking at that draft class, that also includes Phaneuf, it looks like it will be one for the ages...

Personally at this point, after seeing how Vanek stepped right into the AHL and set in on fire, it looks like (at least in terms of goalscoring) that he will be more productive than the others, mainly Zherdev, Staal and Horton, players taken ahead of him.

Fan-of-#9

Dec 27, 2003
Southern Ontario
Visit site
Fan-of-#9 said:
Ya I guess you're right, after looking at that draft class, that also includes Phaneuf, it looks like it will be one for the ages...

Personally at this point, after seeing how Vanek stepped right into the AHL and set in on fire, it looks like (at least in terms of goalscoring) that he will be more productive than the others, mainly Zherdev, Staal and Horton, players taken ahead of him.

But again as mentioned it's pretty much a matter of opinion at this point in time.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Definitely Vanek.

A better question is whether Latendresse will be better in 3 and a half years than Vanek is now.

Or whether Latendresse will make the NHL next year whereas Vanek didn't make it two years ago inspite of being older then than Latendresse will be next year.

Meat Wave

Apr 4, 2003
Canada
Vanek is 2 years ahead in his progression, which is huge in a young player's career. Latendresse turned 18 in May and was drafted in July. I don't see the point of comparing them right now. Maybe a projection as to who will be the better player would have been more appropriate, as you simply cannot know how good Latendresse will be at Vanek's current age (that means in 2009).

For the moment, this one isn't even close. Thomas Vanek is a proven goal-scorer who could be a dominant figure on the Sabres as soon as this year.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Kyle Chipchura said:
Vanek is 2 years ahead in his progression, which is huge in a young player's career. Latendresse turned 18 in May and was drafted in July. I don't see the point of comparing them right now. Maybe a projection as to who will be the better player would have been appropriate, as you simply cannot know how good Latendresse at Vanek's current age (that means in 2007).

For the moment, this one isn't even close. Thomas Vanek is a proven goal-scorer who could be a dominant figure on the Sabres as soon as this year.

Try January 2009!

Edit:I agree with your points though.

Last edited:

Squeaky

Jul 8, 2004
Toronto
Kyle Chipchura said:
Vanek is 2 years ahead in his progression, which is huge in a young player's career. Latendresse turned 18 in May and was drafted in July. I don't see the point of comparing them right now. Maybe a projection as to who will be the better player would have been more appropriate, as you simply cannot know how good Latendresse will be at Vanek's current age (that means in 2009).

The thing with Latendresse is, he doesn't need as much development time. He's already got the body of a full-grown adult, that's why he's dominating at all the rookie games and such. The term a man amongst boys has some really obvious application here.

I do admit that Vanek has had much longer to come along in his progression, what I'm saying is we should expect Tender to develop in leaps and bounds as he gets older. He will improve, but he could already be pretty close to his ceiling. Physically speaking, he's probably already there.

askin

Sep 21, 2005
Vanek is a better prospect no doubt.

However, I believe that most of the Latendresse hype is for real. I'd like to point out that he was one of the best players at the U20 Canadian Development camp held in August and many felt he was hands down the best forward there (that included Brule, Wolski and Pouliot). He then went on to have a super Prospects camp,impressed many at the HABS camp and now has had some success in an Exhibition game. These are some pretty good credentials - how many other prospects can say this??

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
I'm a habs fan but all the Latendresse thread are going to far ... damn it! Latendresse will turn into a good player but compare Latendresse to Tomas Vanek it's just silly ... I know now why people think we (habs fan) are stupid, crazy and fool ...

(BTW if you havn't understand, I'd take Vanek by a mile ;) )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad