Latendresse vs Schremp

Towelie*

Who's got the best future long term?

Who will get there quicker?

Will either of them develop into a legitimate 1st line player?

I think they are both overrated personally. Although I don't think either will develop into a 1st liner, I do think Latendresse has a better chance of sticking as a top 6 forward.

windflare

May 31, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
Uh oh.

Board crash in 5, 4, 3, 2...

If you ask me, they are both overhyped players. However, I think Latendresse has a higher potential, if he can ever reach it. At worst, he'll end up like Pyatt. At best, good 1st line PF. My read? Based on physical potential, he'll be a good second-line PF or average/below average first line PF, but I think he has a good mental aspect that'll probably elevate his game a bit more than that.

Schremp... less likely to be elite. Probably a 2nd line center, but if he keeps growing well, a more goals, less assists Gomez-level upside is not out of his reach. I know he's been working on his skating, but if he doesn't elevate that more, it's going to be tough for him in the NHL.

Just my humble opinions on these. :teach:

Last edited:

LeMAD

Mar 1, 2006
Montreal
lemad.freehostia.com
Lats has the potential to be as good as Bertuzzi was, but his skating is a major problem. I think his hands, shot and ice vision make him a lock as a top-6 in the future. He also has the ability to take over a game with his hits. I don't think he'll be a major offensive contributor for the next 2 years, but for a 19 year old, he's impressive for sure.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Uh oh.

Board crash in 5, 4, 3, 2...
Heh, exactly!

I guess I'll stick with the devil I know in Latendresse, after all, he's already playing on the Habs first line (however temporarily that is until Higgins returns, of course) at a younger age, and he doesn't look terribly out of place. The idea that his downside is Taylor Pyatt works for me, so if you want to believe he'll max out somewhere above that downside, he rates as the safer pick, IMO. The main thing is that he has already made it as an NHLer, plus he brings an added dimension of physicality to the game beyond whatever points he manages to put up. By contrast, Schremp is pure points, basically. If you take the middle road and see him as a second line pure-points type player, well, that's not a terribly valuable commodity on the NHL marketplace I'd say. With Schremp of course, the upside is that you hope for a 1st line all-star player whose pure-points totals are so high that he actually becomes a weapon that other teams have to react to and make adjustments to counter. I'm not saying that couldn't happen, but it'd be above my basic expectations.

Bryzga lol*

Both are interesting projects... but both seem to have flaws. It also seems hype and drama follows them everywhere they go...especially Latendresse. That's what happens when you get drafted by a canadian team I guess.

Until Schremp cracks the Oiler's line up, I'll say Latendresse. Until Latendresse got those 4 goals in 4 games, I would have said 50/50, but Guillaume is proving that his presence is needed.

Skyblaze

Aug 17, 2006
Montreal
I'll chime in and say Schremp has a much higher upside than Lats does but as of now, Lats has shown more willingness to let go of bad habits for the sake of the game than Schremp has.

Still, the Oils should hang in there with Schremp and work him up as he could turn into a slightly slower Spezza while Latendresse's upside is that of a good second liner / average first liner.

The big difference is that Latendresse fills a hole in the Habs org while Schremp is stuck playing on another team's farm team which may hurt his development.

The Oilers REALLY need to get their own farm team or risk screwing up a whole bunch of prospects.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
Right now there both on par even if i don't think that Schremp's talent will translate to the NHL, makes it look to easy without working, maybe a Mike Ribeiro but with a better shot. If Latendresse becomes faster( power skating lessons) it's not a fair comparison imo. Fora powerforward he has smoth hands, likes to hit alot( n.1 in hits of all rookies) and for a 19 year old he's really good to protect the puck. His major flaw is his acceleration and him being in top shape

nell789

Nov 28, 2006
Thanks for all the reply's. I wasn't sure everyone would be consider these two guys comparable, but it seems they are.

Who do you think will be putting up more points/goals in 4 years?

AD

Aug 2, 2005
Bigassofficetower
Thanks for all the reply's. I wasn't sure everyone would be consider these two guys comparable, but it seems they are.

Who do you think will be putting up more points/goals in 4 years?

If Schremp reaches his potential, then him. But that is a BIG IF.

I see Latendresse as a safe bet to get between 50-60 points/season in 4 years time.

Shremp is hit or miss. Either gonna be an 80 points + guy... or a career AHLer.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
If Schremp reaches his potential, then him. But that is a BIG IF.

I see Latendresse as a safe bet to get between 50-60 points/season in 4 years time.

Shremp is hit or miss. Either gonna be an 80 points + guy... or a career AHLer.[/QUOTE]

I have to strongly disagree here, at worst a Latendresse will become a Isbister type player and Schremp somewhat maybe a Pier-Marc Bouchard? ( the current one, not the fully developed before i get flamed here, i'm talking about what Bouchard brings to the table right now)

Hyped

Feb 27, 2002
Tombstone
Visit site
I see Schremp's NHL career following a similar path of Mike Ribiero. Both have amazing hands and spectacular vision. Both are smaller in stature, weaker skaters, and both entered their professional career touted as potential perennial all-stars. I haven't seen as much of Schremp as I have other guys, but from what I have seen, they seem like very similar players...

*EDIT* I guess someone else beat me to the Ribeiro comparison. I guess next time I'll read the thread before replying...

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad