Latendresse Vs Kostitsyn

jordy

Apr 18, 2007
During the past season the habs have had two new prospects develop very well. Firstly there was Guillaume Latendresse. A 19 year old power forward from Quebec who burts onto the scenes with a great training camp and became a fan favourite.

Then there was Andrei Kostitsyn who didn't make the team out of camp but who had a great finish to the season displaying his great passing skills.

If you had the chance between the two of them who would you choose?

amon

Jul 20, 2005
Montreal
I think that the upside of kostistyn is higher but latendresse as barely score 20 goal as a 19 years old ( wich is impressive for a powerfoward type of player in is first year)

- Lets guess that the passing skills of kostistyn will made him a better player in term of point

- Latendresse will be the next dave andreychuk mark my word lol ... ok im dreaming maybe cam neely :yo:

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007
is that why latendresse made the team and kostitsyn didnt?? you pick kostitsyn every time no matter who he is compared with.

Mini-Andrei Kostitsyn (shrunk by half to level somewhat the competition)
vs the Buffalo Sabres :

Mini Andrei Kost: 9 - Sabres 0 (The refs stopped the game after 20 minutes to prevent a blowout)

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
I think I would go with Kostitsyn, but it's not that easy. Kost vision and passing skills were just impressive at the end of the season. Now, if only he can start to use his powerful shot more, he will be a really good player in the NHL.

henri2014

Jul 30, 2005
I think these 2 guys will have a huge impact on the team next year maybe a bit like the sophomore duo of higgins and pleky we had this year but with more offense.

I think they progressed a lot this year and that they are gonna come into camp rdy to play an important role on the habs. The habs management realized at the end of the year that the young guys are rdy and that they are good.

Lats is gonna come to camp lighter and faster on skate and both of them will have a good season next year.

jacklours

Mar 5, 2003
Magog
I think that the upside of kostistyn is higher but latendresse has almost score 20 goal as a 19 years old ( wich is impressive for a powerfoward type of player in is first year)

- Lets guess that the passing skills of kostistyn will make him a better player in term of point

- Latendresse will be the next dave andreychuk mark my word lol ... ok im dreaming maybe cam neely :yo:

I don't want to be an ass, but I figured I would help a little. i've been there before and it helps when people point out these types of mistake.

NewHabsEra*

They are not the same type of player.. Kostitsyn is clearly more purely skilled and the kid proved he could hit hard as well, this kid is really underrated, he will make some noise in this league soon enough while Lats is only 19 years old and more raw.. He has everything to become one of the best PF in the game but skating is the issue, he has to improve his skating and be stronger on the puck, in fact he reminds me Bertuzzi when playing for the Islanders, raw but the potential is certainly there.. He has soft hands, nice moves, unteachable scoring touch and offensive flair.. This guy is first and one a physical force but skating could remain an issue at a certain degree all his carreer long..

Kostitsyn has elite passing skills, elite arsenal of shots, elite moves, great vision, he is strong along the board, solid puck protection.. He has everything outside maybe that extra speed to become a superstar... He will be a dominant player in this league next season..

Last edited by a moderator:

LeMAD

Mar 1, 2006
Montreal
lemad.freehostia.com
Kostitsyn has elite passing skills, elite arsenal of shots, elite moves, great vision, he is strong along the board, solid puck protection.. He has everything outside maybe that extra speed to become a superstar... He will be a dominant player in this league next season..

Imo he has no elite or great skills, but he's good all around.

Judge Sauer*

They'll both evolve to be good players for the Habs. Not to take anything away from Lats, but I'd go with Kosty.
Kosty has shown that he can definately make players around him better with his passing and some hitting. Gui hasn't been able to do that yet.
Just checked out a couple Sergei Kostitsyn highlights, I can not wait to see what he does in the big leagues.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
i didnt say anything about kostitsyn. i onle said latendresse was safer. and it is true.

I think both are safe prospects...

Whether or not Kostisyn can harness all his talent and become a PPG player, or one of those generic 2nd line players who gets traded a few times (a la Martin Rucinsky for example) is the question, but he'll be at the very least a good scoring line player in the NHL, but he's got the potential to become alot more.

Same with Latendresse...he needs to work on his explosiveness and develop more of a mean streak, but he's got the scoring instinct, vision and strength to become one of the better Power Forwards in the NHL

rick1042

Jul 3, 2006
Verdun
I would go with Kostitsyn. I don't think he will be a star in the league but I think his upside is better than Latendresse, who I think will become a servicable NHL player but not more than that, mainly due to his skating.

Bruinster*

This thread is so funny :biglaugh: You choose Kostitsyn and A habs fans come complain why you don't choose Latendresse, anothers choose Latendresse because he's a safer pick and a Habs fan come for saying he's sick about it !!! :biglaugh:

The best thing is taking both or none .:biglaugh:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
This thread is so funny :biglaugh: You choose Kostitsyn and A habs fans come complain why you don't choose Latendresse, anothers choose Latendresse because he's a safer pick and a Habs fan come for saying he's sick about it !!! :biglaugh:

The best thing is taking both or none .:biglaugh:

You obviously didn't read my reply...I said I was tired of people saying that Kostitsyn isn't a safe prospect, since he was drafted all I keep reading is that he's a boom or bust prospect, and I think it's false.

What's so hard to understand?

I wasn't complaining because he picked Latendresse instead, I was just pointing out the fact that he said Kostitsyn isn't safe prospect is erroneous IMO.

Bruinster*

You obviously didn't read my reply...I said I was tired of people saying that Kostitsyn isn't a safe prospect, since he was drafted all I keep reading is that he's a boom or bust prospect, and I think it's false.

What's so hard to understand?

I wasn't complaining because he picked Latendresse instead, I was just pointing out the fact that he said Kostitsyn isn't safe prospect is erroneous IMO.

He never said Kots isn't a safe bet , he said in his opinion Latendresse is a safer bet !

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
He never said Kots isn't a safe bet , he said in his opinion Latendresse is a safer bet !

I understand that...that comment was more of a general comment because as I mentionned before, Kostitsyn's had that boom or bust label here for awhile and I just don't agree with it.

Maybe I should of specified that I wasn't speaking directly to that poster

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad