Late growth?

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006
I did notice that for most of his career, Mats Sundin was listed at 6-4. However, even after 30, he went to 6-5. Another good example is Jagr who was listed at 6-2 and who is now 6-3, there is also other examples not on my mind actually..

any explanation for this? It is very rare to gain an inch after 30.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Many of the hockey players I've met were shorter than listed. I'm 5'9" Kariya is my height, Sullivan is 2" shorter, Tootoo can't be more than 5'7", Kimmo is around my height, Greg Johnson was shorter and Marek Zidlicky is about my height.

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
Maybe they measure them on skates? :sarcasm:
That would sure be a valid reason, as most of the heights in the official sources arent the real heights.

nni

Dec 29, 2005
their listed height and weight is very rarely accurate.

steroids do not promote growth in height, growth hormone wont do that after puberty either.

its the magic of the team's media.

Hank19

Apr 11, 2005
Many of the hockey players I've met were shorter than listed. I'm 5'9" Kariya is my height, Sullivan is 2" shorter, Tootoo can't be more than 5'7", Kimmo is around my height, Greg Johnson was shorter and Marek Zidlicky is about my height.

Exactly.
I've met Darren McCarty and he's listed at 6'0". I'm 6'1" and I was a good 3 inches taller than him. He can't be more than 5'10".

Almost every sport exaggerates their players heights. Even Shaq has said he's about 3" shorter than what's listed in the programs.

I would say the rule of thumb is -2" from all of the players listed heights.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Exactly.
I've met Darren McCarty and he's listed at 6'0". I'm 6'1" and I was a good 3 inches taller than him. He can't be more than 5'10".

Almost every sport exaggerates their players heights. Even Shaq has said he's about 3" shorter than what's listed in the programs.

I would say the rule of thumb is -2" from all of the players listed heights.

I doubt anyone listed as 6'3" is only 6'1", but you may be right about the shorter players.

GruntyCanuck

May 12, 2007
When the Sabres practice at the Pepsi Center (local rink near buffalo) I'm sometimes on the rink near them. Well I went up to a bunch, and Im 5'10". Many of them were shorter than me. Briere was like a troll. Stafford was REALLY tall though, as was Gaustad and Peters.

It was really cool, a day before the Islanders series started.

Toonces

They should have kept Shjon Podein...
Feb 23, 2003
New Jersey
I doubt anyone listed as 6'3" is only 6'1", but you may be right about the shorter players.

Yeah, most guys 6' and up seem to have their heights legitimately reported, it's the guys under 6' that get a few inches added to their heights.

As for late growth, usually most people don't grow much if any after their very early 20's, but I've personally known people who have grown a bit even after 25, but it's rare, and usually only very minimal amounts. I actually had a rather late growth spurt myself. I was just under 6'2 until I was about 20 years old, when I quickly grew more than an inch to where I am over 6'3 now.

nni

Dec 29, 2005
not true. your growth plates are locked and you will not grow. you can stretch and temporarily possible gain height. there is a rumor/myth about a guy who was too short to be a firefighter so to pass the physical, he spend 24 hours lying on his back and had his friends carry him to the test, and he passes the requirement, the theory was that without the weight of his body compressing him, he was able to be an inch or so taller. but unless stretching is going to alter your bones, your height is pretty much set.

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
I really can't since i don't know much about it. But i think that several stretching programs, like Pilates could make you an inch or two taller, ive heard it said.

Sorry this is so long but i have to chime in on the details. After a serious bacck injury, "Palates: Balanced Body " was a life saver. I atribute my ability to return to active play and live pain free with out surgery, recovering form ten day paralysis, entirely to the program. This is not the course you take at a local gym or YMCA. At about 400 US per hour and half. I attended for 3-4 days per week for 4 months. the next month was 2 per week and last month was 1 per week.

Pilates: Balanced Body. It isnt that you actually get talller. It is said tha you FEEL taller. The "balancded Body" is a bit more than mat work and I am not going to get into the details of it. The program targets your core body. It seriously engages joint motion and your connective tissues as well as anterior and exterior spinal muscles. Fascia is a type of covering for each of your muscles.

If you have ever seen a side of beef that was skinned out, there is a white semi transparent "sac" for want of a better word. Looked it up close it is formed by long fluid filled tubes, like hollow spaghetti. Each connected to the adjacent at each end like sausage links. These can get twisted, kinked and bound up. The program tends to smooth the structures out.

to demonstrate use a bundle of ten skate laces or you imagination and any stringed instrument. With the stings flat, untangled and taunt they are under tention and elongated. Grip the grouping at its middle in your fist and slacken a little. Those "tubes", with just simple movement of the grip or swisting at any end will cause the tubes to cross or lay over each other instead of being smooth and in a row.

Next test, lay your forearm from wrist elbow on a flat surface and relax. Reach over with other hand and gently pull on your wrist or finger. IF your truely relaxed you will feel the pull all the way to your sholder and above. If not you can just have someone do the old "pull your finger" deal. You WILL feel that into the shoulder but its not subtle. With the stretch, the fascia "tubes" are elongated causing the added "fluid pressure" in these tubes. Fill a hose with water and hold each end closed. Have someone jump on it in any where on its length and fluid will quirt out each end. With the dascia, there are not "ends". The pressure is transmitted up and down the lengths from muscle to muscle along the sacs.

It is that pressure that provides the feed back to your brain. Its the reason you can reach both hands anywhere out of your sight and touch them together finger tip to finger tip. those who believe te body has a FLOW of energy, chi, hakra, whatever and that the Fascia is the "distibution system" for your bodys "energy". People call this "proprioception" or more simplistic and illogially, Muscle memory". Muscle does not have memory. Unlike a nylon rope, if you mull its strands apart and then try to retwine, the do not hold a shape.

When these tubes become fluid, smooth and unbound they (fascia) are, as mentioned above, elongated. This is what makes you FEEL taller. along with ity comes improved reaction times and efficient impulse passage. Ever get a sharp burning sensation that last for just a few seconds and fades away as rapidly as it started? Maybe in the middle of the back, shoulder oor ouside of the knee at the Bend. It can happen frequently for runners stretching out the legs. Nerves pass through these and can get "pinched" by kinked and bound facia. Many consider it a muscle cramp but there is no visible contraction of a local muscle. In many cases its a bound nerve passage causing the pain. It can be repetetive in nature or a "phantom" pain.

On a side note: Flesh eating disease....This is an infection that attacks that muscle coating. It spreads along the tubes. If you have seen any pictures, its like getting a rotten layer between two good ones. You know what happens when you have a bad apple in a barrel of good ones? Did you know that ir is unproven but surmised that Creatine affects these fluid levels? The long term consequences are unknown...

Fascia is not something you hear about much but is vital to your health and well being. On the first visit, the Instructor told me of the "taller" thing and I didnt have a clue as to what he meant. Nearing my full recovery, I totally understood. Entering the studio on day one with my full stride length so short that my heals did not pass each other, 3 weeks later getting to the studio 10-15 minutes earlier and using a treadmill to warm up, 3 months later back to doing complete splits in either axis, 1 year 4 months and 16 days later, returning to the ice in a skate and shoot. That day is a whole other wild story involving an old time Sabres alumni, but that is a strory for a different thread. :yo:

Last edited:

FutureConsiderations

Dec 29, 2005
Brookline, MA
Height and weight among all professional athletes can be messed around with for any number of reasons. I know it's baseball, but look at the Red Sox - there is no way in hell Dustin Pedroia is 5'9". I don't give him much above 5'7" and when you see him next to other guys, it becomes clear how small he is.

On the other hand, teams may play up how tall guys are (especially in college) to draw extra attention to them.

Crazyhorse

Sep 2, 2006
Gothenburg
not true. your growth plates are locked and you will not grow. you can stretch and temporarily possible gain height. there is a rumor/myth about a guy who was too short to be a firefighter so to pass the physical, he spend 24 hours lying on his back and had his friends carry him to the test, and he passes the requirement, the theory was that without the weight of his body compressing him, he was able to be an inch or so taller. but unless stretching is going to alter your bones, your height is pretty much set.

Yeah, so? I never said that it was possible _after_ your growth plates are set, the problem is, it is completely different from individual to indivdual. Some have it set at the age of 16-18, others at 20-25, f.e.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->