Movies: Last Movie You Watched and Rate It

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
DEADPOOL 2

MOVIE HAS a great pace. Very fun and funny.
8.5/10
RampAPage
I liked this one despite the cheese.
6/10
Black panther
Underrated film
8/10
The Quiet Place
7/10

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Lolita (1962) - Hadn't watched this in years. 10/10 and frankly, I find Nabokov did a better job with the screenplay than with the book and that Kubrick nagivated the contraints of his era (and of the book) masterfully by offering a conscise film without a wasted shot or scene while perfectly avoiding - by his own accord - the lull in the book when Humbert and Dolores Haze are traveling across the country. The lighting is also first-rate and while I at first I was hesitant with the idea of starting with the ending, it sets the tone perfectly and loops gorgeously with the last scene. Also, while I personally found the creepy book version of Clare Quilty more fitting, Peter Sellers playing him with a boyish charm doesn't just knock it out of the park, he sends it to the moon.

Last edited:
Reactions: GB

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Star_Wars_Han_Solo_Gold_Dice.jpg

Han Solo: A Star War's Story
(2018) Directed by Ron Howard 3A

Ten reasons to skip this one:

1.) Alden Ehrenreich reminded me of no one so much as Seth MacFarlane. I did not want AE to remind me of SM
2.) Alden Ehrenreich reminded me not a whit of Harrison Ford
3.) Alden Ehrenreich looks to be about six inches shorter than Harrison Ford. His swash don't buckle.
4.) The cinematography or at least the 3D processing was the absolute pits in my theatre--like the whole production forgot about lighting (too much of the movie looked like the accompanying still photograph above this review)
5.) Han Solo is the first Star War movie in the franchise to carry absolutely no weight whatsoever--other than to make money by supplying a generic back story for Han Solo, the effort has neither purpose nor reason for existence
6.) The best action scene in the movie is stolen from The Empire Strikes Back--none of the other action sequences stand out
7.) Ron Howard does not display an ounce of imagination or creativity or surprise--just dull competence
8.) I'm not even clear about who killed off one of the characters
9.) Attempts at humour are mainly lame; as well as they are few and far between Too bad because the movie could have used a bit of an edge somewhere
10.) The best things about the movie--a lovelorn but otherwise observant robot named L3-37 and Donald Glover's charming and rougish Lando Calrissian--don't get enough screen time. Hey, isn't Han supposed to be the charming, rougish one?

Last edited:

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Deadpool 2 (aka the VPD's longest vacation, part 2)

with Ryan Reynolds. Lots and lots and lots of Ryan Reynolds. And then more Ryan Reynolds. And Josh Brolin, who barely contains his disgust at being in this movie.

The horribly scarred, functionally immortal hitman and relentless motormouth Wade Wilson aka Deadpool continues his r-rated adventures. This time, he's a bit brought down with the death of his beloved girlfriend Vanessa at the hands of one of his almost-targets. Being invulnerable has its downside when you're suicidal and not even exploding apartments or Kentucky-frying entire city blocks will end your misery. Or the misery of those around you who have to listen to you moan and carp at everyone. Nevertheless, loyal friend Colossus and snide non-friend Negasonic Teenage Warhead (worst name ever, btw) of the X-Men are there to nurse Mr. Pool back to health and purpose. They even give him X-Man Trainee status...which doesn't end well on his first mission. Deadpool and the kid from his royally boned mission are sent to the mutant prison The Icebox, located conveniently in the North Shore mountains. With collars that neutralize their powers, Deadpool's abilities are now looking horrible and once again dying of cancer, but the kid still wants to be his buddy. Sorry kid; he's feeling too sorry for himself to be there for anyone. But wait...what's that explosion in the wall? That's just Cable (a pumped-up Josh Brolin); time-travelling cyborg super-soldier from the future, and he's here to kill...the kid? Wait, what? This is enough to snap Wade out of his funk, and Deadpool versus Cable banter and bloody combat commences. Hey...who's in the basement...? And who's really going to be the villain? Watch be reasonably entertained, though I suspect the closer you are to your teenage years, the more fun you'll have.

A step up and forward from the first one. The characters are free of the tedious origin movie stuff, so they can have more fun. Reynolds is clearly having a blast making serious bank while continuing to refine the character (and who wouldn't?). There are fewer and less obtrusive 4th wall breaks, and I thought the humour was less juvenile than the 1st one...though still pretty juvenile. Pop culture references abound, self-referential asides continue, and lots of people get sliced, diced, shot, stabbed, run over, and blown up. Deadpool's briefly formed X Force runs into some problems with wind during skydiving, leading to one of the movie's biggest laughs. Vancouver once again takes a beating as various bridges collapse, the downtown core is reduced to a smoldering crater of car wrecks and body parts, and the cops are all still on their extended coffee break. Still, if there's one superhero we can claim as our own, I'm glad it's this one.

Even if he's still annoying as absolute f***.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
New HBO production of Farenheit 451.

As a movie on its own, I dunno 7/10.

In relation to the book it is titled after, maybe 3.5/10

They cut Montag's wife Mildred entirely, which I didn't like. Montag was just some random guy. We never get a sense of what his life is like in this movie.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
1163324.png

A Man of Integrity
(2017) Directed by Mohhamad Resoulof 7B

In northern Iran, a goldfish farmer (yup, you heard right) takes on local power brokers who are trying to destroy his business and steal his land. Beautifully directed and shot, A Man of Integrity diligently develops its very direct theme. In Iran, one is either an oppressor or among the oppressed--there is no middle ground. Reza, a former protestor of government injustice, gets out of Tehran to avoid politics, but finds that exploitation of the weak by the strong is inescapable in his society. Eventually he plots revenge on those who are making his family's lives miserable. He receives a measure of retribution though at a personal cost to his own soul. In a slyly wicked and cunning twist at the end, he then has to decide whether becoming an oppressor might not be such a bad idea after all. Lots of meaty themes here, both aimed at the regime in Iran and more broadly to any situation in which power is abused for gain (so we shouldn't be too smug either). On one level, the movie is a subtle re-invisioning of a standard Western movie template: sharecropper tries to protect homestead from a far more powerful rancher. However the rhythms and feel of the movie are all director Mohhamad Resoulof's own. It's so weird--Iran, per capita, likely possesses more world class film directors than any other country (Kiarostami; Farhadi; Panahi; Ghobadi; Resoulof; S. Makhmalbaf), yet Iranians aren't allowed to see these guys' movies at home.

subtitles

Last edited:

Ralph Spoilsport

Jun 4, 2011
Baby Driver. The infamous action flick that stirred up so much contention on these pages recently. Well, I liked it. I won't be going out of my way to see it again, but I won't mind if the opportunity arises. Tasty eye and ear candy (full disclosure: I'm an iPod guy myself) that updates heist movies the way La La Land updates Singin' In The Rain. It also draws inspiration from Tom Hanks' Big: the movie could be a little kid's fantasy, playing with toy cars, imagining cops and robbers. Baby is ordering from the kids' menu, making goo goo eyes with the waitress (a dead ringer for his mom), he saves the girl but IIRC he never kisses her 'cuz that would be like gross. Even the Mike Myers masks are the PG-13 ones. Ansel Elgort is so damn cute I was sure five minutes into it that I was going to hate this movie. But how can you hate a baby? [B ]

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
Solo: A Star Wars Story
2.25 out of 4stars

It's very messy: Han Solo is blatantly miscast, the side characters are the most interesting/charismatic pieces in the movie and are underwritten, as Kihei says: there is lighting issues for the first half hour or so of the movie where I was almost squinting to see images on the screen, "the origin origin"/first 45mins~ of the movie is a complete writing disaster and feels almost transformers like in it's quality/results, and the last ~15mins feels almost entirely dedicated to setting up a sequel while only being an "acceptable conclusion", not a truly satisfying one, even if the "very very last sequence" does tip a cap to star wars fans in a fun way.

That said, there were some bits of good: there was definitely some fun action/adventure stuff in there, some nice comedy bits at times, those small side characters were scene stealing and memorable, and it wasn't a bore fest. But overall given expectations and a supposedly $250million budget, it's a disaster.

Arizonan God

Jan 30, 2010
Toronto
Joe (2014, dir: David Gordon Green)

A gritty, southern drama about a boy with an alcoholic father and a rough an tumble working man who takes an interest in helping him. Nic Cage and Tye Sheridan turn in some great performances, along with Gary Poulter (who I later learned was a genuine homeless man and died shortly after filming). Despite the great acting and skillful film making on display here, I never could quite connect to the film emotionally, and I'm not sure why. Still, I can definitely appreciate it on a technical level.

7A

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
I just saw Avengers Infinity Wars for the first time.
I really love this movie. Exceeded my expectations. So far it's the best flick I've seen this year and perhaps my favorite Super hero movie of all time.

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
The Red Turtle
3.0 out of 4stars

Enchanting animated dialogue-free film that is very simple on the surface yet great in meaning and metaphors. With commentary on nature, the circle of life, humanity, and relationships.

What expectations?

People have been dumping on this movie for months. I was pleasantly surprised.

As ArizonanGod said, financial is one and there are others. Financial expectations given the budget, quality of film given the Star Wars name/universe/franchise, Ron Howard coming on board to "right the ship", etc. Obviously given the problems the movie had pre-release, audience/critic expectations should have been lowered a bit, but that's not what I meant.

Arizonan God

Jan 30, 2010
Toronto
The Handmaiden (2016, dir: Park Chan-wook)

I finally got around to seeing this, and thank the Lord I did. An instant favourite for me. It's stylish, funny, sexy, intense, and everything inbetween. Some of the stylistic editing choices didn't quite vibe with me, but everything else is pretty much perfect in my eyes.

9A

Reactions: kihei

Ralph Spoilsport

Jun 4, 2011
Dr. Strangelove, or How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Bomb: classic comedy thriller about the accidental explosion of the ironic bomb. Images as sharp as its wit. [A+]

Tropical Malady
: Wanna whole lotta "huh?" [B ]

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Might be top 10 all-time for me.

9451f0ebfc48f3cb3f985705b1bf8281.jpg

Certainly is for me. Although having re-watched Lolita recently, I think it might just end up being my favorite Kubrick along with Full Metal Jacket. So if I were to make a list Kubrick would probably have 3 entries in there. :laugh:

The president trying to appease " Dimitri " when his country is about to get nuked never fails to get me. As does George C. Scott's jingoistic mannerisms.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I like Dr Strangelove but I think I'm in the minority that thinks that Fail-Safe from teh same year is much better.

Pirates of The Carribean: The 5th/Newest One (2017) - 6/10

It's passable, better than #2-4 but it's still too cheesy and has become a parody of itself. Has a few funny lines here and there, shitty new cast members, a villain that has a nice set up but poor conclusion, usual Disney cliche crap, skippable.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Watched Sicario. It was solid and I was engaged throughout. I feel like pretty much anything Villeneuve gets his hands on will be well made. With that being said, I didn't think the script was that strong. Blunt's character was just kind of there and didn't add anything for me.

Arizonan God

Jan 30, 2010
Toronto
Watched Sicario. It was solid and I was engaged throughout. I feel like pretty much anything Villeneuve gets his hands on will be well made. With that being said, I didn't think the script was that strong. Blunt's character was just kind of there and didn't add anything for me.
I semi-agree with the script not being quite up to snuff with Villeneuve's direction, but I'd argue that Blunt's character is well written from a thematic point of view. I think her naivety is important to the film's overall message.

Though I did like Taylor Sheridan's other writing credits, Hell and High Water and Wind River better than Sicario.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->