Movies: Last Movie You Watched and Rate It

Status
Not open for further replies.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Shareefruck's reviews rely heavily on vibe and how he personally feels towards it. Very few critics depend on just one aspect of perception, but it does gives some provocative views. We have disagreements, and I certainly cannot say I understand his explanations all the time, but I find it to be a really interesting approach.

Last edited:

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
It Comes At Night

with scared, paranoid people with PTSD

Paul, Sarah and their teenage son Travis live in a secluded house deep in the woods. The world has suffered some terrible plague, and all outsiders are to be treated with utmost suspicion. Especially the guy who just broke in. f*** that guy. Seriously. Oh, he says he didn't know anyone lived there and has a wife and kid stashed nearby? Can't trust him too much. Even when you beat him and leave him tied to a tree overnight. And then let him go and go get his wife and kid and some goats and chickens for food. Very, very risky. Oh, they have names? Will, Kim and Andrew? Still...everyone's dangerous. Can't be too careful, especially as we had to kill Sarah's dad then burn his body in the first few minutes of the movie. Which has left Travis with crippling PTSD and continuous nightmares. But...those new people. Who are they, really? And where'd the dog go?

Slow burn of paranoia and claustrophobia while you're waiting to see just what exactly comes at night. And waiting. And waiting. Aaaaaaaaaaaand waiting. Almost like an M Night Shyamalamadingdong movie in that it build suspense and tension very well, except it doesn't have a twist ending. It doesn't even really have an ending, it just sort of stops. Good buildup, no payoff.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
It makes me wonder, is Deadpool maybe just an annoying and stupid comic book character, period? Is the source material even supposed to be any good?

Deadpool knows he is a comic book character, and that is why he does whatever he wants, especially his constant and blatant fourth wall breaks. In a strange way, he is very liberating, even in the comic book setting, and that is a part of his charms.

He also has a tragic backstory. The first movie covered it well, as it explained his physical appearance. However, it did ignore the fact the experiments that saved his life also made him insane, and it brought about his signature ability to break the fourth wall. It also omitted that during the same time, he went face-to-face with the personification of Death, and they fell in love with one another. Unfortunately, the healing factor kicked in, and they became star-crossed lovers. When you read further, we also learned what happened to his parents, and it is so sad, that even Sabertooth, the cold-hearted villain, looked at him with complete pity.

As a result, even though he is a sadistic prick, because in the comics, Blind Al is not his roommate, but his prisoner, and he actually made Weasel turn to crime, he can also very sympathetic and relatable. Underneath the jokes and laughter belies a very pained and emotionally scarred individual, and that is merely his coping mechanism.

Last edited:

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Baby Driver by Edgar Wright - 1.0 (Negative)

Felt like an impressive-as-hell film-making exercise where Edgar Wright goes hog wild and painstakingly uses every directing technique in his repertoire to try to single-handedly elevate a really forgettable and mediocre movie with bland, unlikeable characters into something respectable, and maybe gets as close as one could reasonably expect, but still felt like it was just covering up an otherwise pretty bad movie. Might be worth watching just to see that and get a kick out of it, but it sure as hell didn't work for me as a whole.

There were some weird and unexpected twists and heel-turns toward the end that woke me up from the dull predictability but also didn't seem to make any sense.
Like why the hell would Kevin Spacey suddenly help him after all that, let alone sacrifice himself to save him? That felt completely out of left field to me.

And final thought..... Maybe this is blasphemy, but for some reason, every time I see Kevin Spacey in a new thing, I feel less and less that he's as good of an actor as I previously thought. He has this shtick that he sticks to that feels really artificial to me.

1. After the Storm - 4.0 (Flawless)
2. The Red Turtle - 3.5 (Great)
3. Get Out - 3.0 (Very Good)
4. The Third Murder - 2.5 (Good)
----
5. Ladybird - 2.0 (Positive)
6. I, Daniel Blake - 1.5 (Neutral)

7. Blade Runner 2049 - 1.5 (Neutral)
8. The Big Sick - 1.5 (Neutral)
----
9. I Love You, Daddy - 1.0 (Negative)
10. Baby Driver - 1.0 (Negative)
11. Logan - 0.5 (Bad)
12. Spiderman Homecoming - 0.5 (Bad)
13. The Last Jedi - 0.5 (Bad)
14. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri - 0.0 (Terrible)

Strangely, even though I like the movie, and thinks it deserves a higher grade, I completely agree with your review.
:laugh:

This is indeed a filmmaking exercise. The script is as basic as it comes, as he simply took Syd Field's hero journey template taught in almost all Screenwriting 101 class, and he adhere to Field's belief that the first ten minutes makes-or breaks the movie. In essence, Wright pretty much just took all the basic aspects that were taught in film school, and made a movie out of it. On the surface, that does not sound impressive, but to put it together in such a polish and entertaining manner certainly takes skills and talent.

This is one movie I am actually curious on how you feel towards it, because it does have a good vibe. Now I know.

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Baby Driver is the kind of movie that has a lot of style and you keep waiting for the underlying substance which never arrives.

And that’s ok, but you still feel like it’s a missed opportunity.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I liked Baby Driver and enjoyed watching it (I bounced between a 6A and a 7A on it), but I haven't thought about it since seeing it. All sizzle and no steak--which for me was actually kind of its appeal. Style over substance--but, jeez, we ain't exactly talking Breathless here.

Reactions: OzzyFan and NyQuil

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Strangely, even though I like the movie, and thinks it deserves a higher grade, I completely agree with your review.

This is indeed a filmmaking exercise. The script is as basic as it comes, as he simply took Syd Field's hero journey template taught in almost all Screenwriting 101 class, and he adhere to Field;s belief that the first ten minutes makes-or breaks the movie. In essence, Wright pretty much just took all the basic aspects that were taught in film school, and made a movie out of it. On the surface, that does not sound impressive, but to put it together in such a polish and entertaining manner certainly takes skills and talent.

This is one movie I am actually curious on how you feel towards it, because it does have a good vibe. Now I know.
I feel like the good vibes of the directing talent and bravado were completely negated by the bad vibes of the characters and narrative for me. I can get by on style over substance, but when the narrative feels hokey and lame, it ceases to actually feel stylish to me and just comes across as annoying. Just get the sensibilities and tastefulness right/appealing, and I'm okay with the substance being a shallow illusion (like for example, Blade Runner would still be really cool and great and perfect even if you found out that the ideas communicated was really underwhelming, which some people do think).

There have been a few instances where I've noticed that a lot of people are okay with just focusing on the fact that a movie was incredible in one way that's new and fresh, and can excuse really laughably bland storytelling as "serviceable enough" as a reason to showcase that amazing thing, but simply nagged at me way too much to want to adopt that mentality. I feel like my experience with this one was comparable to my experience with Avatar, Gravity, and Victoria, in that sense (somewhat positive scores all naturally plummeting over time).

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Deadpool knows he is a comic book character, and that is why he does whatever he wants, especially his constant and blatant fourth wall breaks. In a strange way, he is very liberating, even in the comic book setting, and that is a part of his charms.

He also has a tragic backstory. The first movie covered it well, as it explained his physical appearance. However, it did ignore the fact the experiments that saved his life also made him insane, and it brought about his signature ability to break the fourth wall. It also omitted that during the same time, he went face-to-face with the personification of Death, and they fell in love with one another. Unfortunately, the healing factor kicked in, and they became star-crossed lovers. When you read further, we also learned what happened to his parents, and it is so sad, that even Sabertooth, the cold-hearted villain, looked at him with complete pity.

As a result, even though he is a sadistic prick, because in the comics, Blind Al is not his roommate, but his prisoner, and he actually made Weasel turn to crime, he can also very sympathetic and relatable. Underneath the jokes and laughter is a very pained and emotionally scarred individual, and that is merely his coping mechanism.
I know the concept and found it really cool and full of potential, but I was just wondering if, in practice, it was ever done in a way that really worked and was really well received critically. Or was it just a really good idea filled with grating bro-humor that similarly put a lot of people off in the comic books (which is what the movies seem like to me)? I know they got the essence of the character right, but is the level/style of humor in the movies more or less the same as the humor in the comics, or are the comics a lot better at it?

Last edited:

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
Deadpool 2
2.70 out of 4stars

Good sequel with a decent story, decent action, and throws a an overload of jokes at you, but there are a lot of hit and miss jokes, and Deadpool goes over the border of being obnoxious instead of funny at times, yet it still has it's fair share of big laughs. Surprisingly to me, also a lot more serious than I thought it would be, especially early on.

Porco Rosso
2.85 out of 4stars

Another nice little Miyazaki adventure film. Fun, charismatic, and often funny, with adult themes sprinkled throughout.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Baby Driver is the kind of movie that has a lot of style and you keep waiting for the underlying substance which never arrives.

And that’s ok, but you still feel like it’s a missed opportunity.

I agree. For me though, I am perfectly fine with the style-over-substance aspect of it. It feels like a filmmaking exercise for me, a call to go back to the basics, and I find that refreshing in a Hollywood blockbuster. I had it as a 7/10, because even though it is not perfect, I am very much entertained.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
I know the concept and found it really cool and full of potential, but I was just wondering if, in practice, it was ever done in a way that really worked and was really well received critically. Or was it just a really good idea filled with grating bro-humor that similarly put a lot of people off in the comic books (which is what the movies seem like to me)? I know they got the essence of the character right, but is the level/style of humor in the movies more or less the same as the humor in the comics, or are the comics a lot better at it?

They got the humour right. In fact, he may even be more juvenile in the comics. Deadpool is pretty much a character that allows the writers to throw everything onto the wall, and see what sticks, without the fear for the alienation of the audience, because everyone knows he is just so ridiculous, and they will still stick around. The filmmakers understood it, and that is why they have so much fun with the character. Personally, the humour is something I merely tolerate, and perhaps enjoy once every blue moon. I am a fan, because of how complex and sympathetic the character is.

The movie did tune down Deadpool a lot though. If the filmmakers are completely faithful, it will never see the light of day, because honestly, the source material is way too dark and messed up to be adapted, and it will only satisfy a niche market. That was one of my problems with the first one, because I thought they did not go far enough. That said, it is a good effort, and they did the best they could to make the character as accessible as possible, without the complete sacrifice of the integrity of the character.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I feel like the good vibes of the directing talent and bravado were completely negated by the bad vibes of the characters and narrative for me. I can get by on style over substance, but when the narrative feels hokey and lame, it ceases to actually feel stylish to me and just comes across as annoying. Just get the sensibilities and tastefulness right/appealing, and I'm okay with the substance being a shallow illusion (like for example, Blade Runner would still be really cool and great and perfect even if you found out that the ideas communicated was really underwhelming, which some people do think).

There have been a few instances where I've noticed that a lot of people are okay with just focusing on the fact that a movie was incredible in one way that's new and fresh, and can excuse really laughably bland storytelling as "serviceable enough" as a reason to showcase that amazing thing, but simply nagged at me way too much to want to adopt that mentality. I feel like my experience with this one was comparable to my experience with Avatar, Gravity, and Victoria, in that sense (somewhat positive scores all naturally plummeting over time).

I don't know that my comment is completely in line with yours but it did make me think of this: Any artwork which attempts to mainly showcase the technical possibilities or progress of our times runs the risk of eventually (and in a rather fast and stark manner in this day and age) feeling very dated in the worst possible way. Flash (and there's a conscious effort here not to use the word stylish, because that's timeless. 60s Godard and Wong Kar-Wai are great examples of that) over substance is always the wrong way to go. I think Baby Driver was guilty of that.

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I don't know that my comment is completely in line with yours but it did make me think of this: Any artwork which attempts to mainly showcase the technical possibilities or progress of our times runs the risk of eventually (and in a rather fast and stark manner in our times) feeling very dated in the worst possible way. Flash (and there's a conscious effort here not to use the word stylish, because that's timeless. 60s Godard and Wong Kar-Wai are great examples of that) over substance is always the wrong way to go. I think Baby Driver was guilty of that.
Bingo. Completely agreed, and I wish more people bought into this idea. I inherently dislike the term style over substance. Flash over substance makes sense, because flash is a trivial benefit/novelty that ultimately doesn't matter and can't stand on its own, but actual style does stand on its own and becomes its own kind of substance, IMO. I dislike the idea of giving Baby Driver credit for having a strong sense of style. because I don't really think it does.

Reactions: GB

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Just watched Fahrenheit 451. I liked the idea and the concept of this movie and really wanted to like it because I enjoy all things dystopian but man, this movie just fell really flat for me.

It seemed very shallow and also very cheesy. I am really disappointed. I’ve wanted to read the book for awhile so I’ll iust have to do that.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
The Godfatha Part II - 9/10

The pacing and cinematography is probably better here than the first one but I can't exactly say that I cared as much about it. It became quite distant from itself and almost uninteresting in that 'let's get it over with' mode by the end. I think it became a bit predictable.

The problem with a film that relies too much on unsaid things and glances is that it's really hard to know exactly what the f*** some of the characters are thinking or what's causing them to take certain actions that start to feel a bit irrational or inexplicable.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Just watched Fahrenheit 451. I liked the idea and the concept of this movie and really wanted to like it because I enjoy all things dystopian but man, this movie just fell really flat for me.

It seemed very shallow and also very cheesy. I am really disappointed. I’ve wanted to read the book for awhile so I’ll iust have to do that.
I don't remember the book that well, but Bradbury is one of my favorite authors and although I don't remember it, all I was thinking during the movie is how much better the book is.

The movie was very different.

Reactions: PeterSidorkiewicz

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
DISOBEDIENCE.jpg

Disobedience
(2018) Dircted by Sebastian Lelio 3B

When her estranged father, a fundamentalist Rabbi, dies suddenly, Ronit (Rachel Weisz) returns to the Orthodox Jewish community in London that she escaped years earlier (much to the relief of the community, apparently). There she rekindles her relationships with her childhood friends Esti (Rachel McAdams) and David (Alessandro Nivola), now married to one another with David in the process of assuming the responsibilities of the dead Rabbi. Ronit and Esti once again grow attracted to one another as the orthodox community recoils in disapproval and disgust. There will be repercussions but what exactly those repercussions will be takes its sweet time arriving. Disobedience is a serious movie. You can tell by how gray it is. Indoors, outdoors, light source or not, everything is gray, gray, gray so as to match the glum, glum, glum tone of this dull, dull, dull movie. Equally subdued is the lovemaking. Weisz and McAdams engage in a much ballyhooed and wildly overrated sex scene that is tastefully tame when it should be Blue Is the Warmest Color hot. The movie has bigger problems than that, though. Clearly the movie wants to take on the patriarchal hierarchy, sexual repression and female subservience that are hallmarks of communities organized around religious orthodoxy. But David isn't really a bad guy and the film has no desire to step on toes of potentially paying customers, so Disobedience comes up with an ending which will simultaneously neither completely please nor thoroughly offend anyone. By the simple expedient of allowing none of the characters to get exactly what they want anyway, Disobedience finds a way of bringing its morose but underdeveloped story to a close. Gray, gray, gray; glum, glum, glum.

Last edited:

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
The Human Condition I: No Greater Love : 8/10

The Human Condition II: Road to Eternity : 8/10

The Human Condition III: A Soldier's Prayer: 8/10

Very good trilogy.

Reactions: kihei

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009

Very good trilogy.

I am glad you took the time to watch the trilogy. The 10 hours run time is daunting, but it is one of the best anti-war films ever made. These three films are definitely in my top 20.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto

Very good trilogy.
May I suggest another trilogy from roughly the same period, Satyajit Ray's The Apu Trilogy (Pather Panchali (10B/10); Aparajito (8A/10); The World of Apu (8B/10)--the trilogy is about a child growing up in rural India and then becoming a man in an ever more modern India. Like The Human Condition Trilogy, The Apu Trilogy is one of the pillars of humanist art in the 20th century.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
DISOBEDIENCE.jpg

Disobedience
(2018) Dircted by Sebastian Lelio 3B

When her estranged father, a fundamentalist Rabbi, dies suddenly, Ronit (Rachel Weisz) returns to the Orthodox Jewish community in London that she escaped years earlier (much to the relief of the community, apparently). There she rekindles her relationships with her childhood friends Esti (Rachel McAdams) and David (Alessandro Nivola), now married to one another with David in the process of assuming the responsibilities of the dead Rabbi. Ronit and Esti once again grow attracted to one another as the orthodox community recoils in disapproval and disgust. There will be repercussions but what exactly those repercussions will be takes its sweet time arriving. Disobedience is a serious movie. You can tell by how gray it is. Indoors, outdoors, light source or not, everything is gray, gray, gray so as to match the glum, glum, glum tone of this dull, dull, dull movie. Equally subdued is the lovemaking. Weisz and McAdams engage in a much ballyhooed and wildly overrated sex scene that is tastefully tame when it should be Blue Is the Warmest Color hot. The movie has bigger problems than that, though. Clearly the movie wants to take on the patriarchal hierarchy, sexual repression and female subservience that are hallmarks of communities organized around religious orthodoxy. But David isn't really a bad guy and the film has no desire to step on toes of potentially paying customers, so Disobedience comes up with an ending which will simultaneously neither completely please nor thoroughly offend anyone. By the simple expedient of allowing none of the characters to get exactly what they want anyway, Disobedience finds a way of bringing its morose but underdeveloped story to a close. Gray, gray, gray; glum, glum, glum.

Sounds like someone wanted to try remaking The Secrets with Blue is the Warmest Color's spice, or maybe it was the latter with the former's Jewish Orthodox environment.

Arizonan God

Jan 30, 2010
Toronto
Deadpool 2

I think I liked it as much as I can like a Deadpool movie. The humour is hit or miss for me, and outside of the humor, the original film didn't have much going for it. This one had better action, a better story, and the gags generally landed better for me. It's still just slightly too obnoxious for me to really embrace it, however. Oh and Colossus is an absolute treasure.

6A

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
screen-shot-2018-01-29-at-4-58-54-pm.png

Submergence
(2018) Directed by Wim Wenders 3B

Two people with dangerous occupations--Danielle (Alicia Vikander) is a oceanographer who explores the very bottom of the Atlantic ocean and James (James McAvoy) is a water engineer/MI6 agent who is trying to infiltrate Somali terrorists--fall deeply in love while on a brief vacation. Then they go their separate ways and the audience waits for one or both to die. While I haven't read the novel upon which the movie is based, I'd bet a lot of money that Submergence is an example of what happens when a writer, Erin Dignam in this case, does not understand the work that she is attempting to adapt. In the first hour, Danielle and James walk, dine, f***, and talk--a collection of fun activities which can make for a fine movie (Before Sunrise, for instance) if the characters are attractive, intelligent, likeable people as they are here. But once they part ways each to partake in their own independent movie, what is the point? Whatever the author is trying to say, whatever she means by the notion of "submergence," becomes incomprehensible. Director Wim Wenders, often a great director, is having much better luck with documentary films these days--Pina; The Salt of the Earth--than he is having with feature films--The Beautiful Days of Aranjuez; Every Thing Will Be Fine. Maybe he should just play to his strong suit for a while.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad