Movies: Last Movie You Watched and Rate It

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I was totally ready to roll my eyes as well considering how often critics tend to overrate films with the “correct” themes, but I was absolutely blown away by how great it was.

Maybe that’s in part because my expectations were tempered as I was genuinely expecting some tired SJW pandering but I felt none of that; and I was probably wrong to expect it because the terrible SJW stuff always comes from the white left, not funny/talented black creators.

As far as plot holes go, I enjoyed the movie more as a comedy than anything else, so I don’t tend to pay much attention to ‘plot holes’ in a comedy.

The woman who played Regina did such a good job. I was dying laughing at the scene when the main guy confronts her about the cell phone in the bedroom.

Chris's buddy Rod legit had me laughing, as most of his scenes were funny as hell. But the movie was deemed to be a thriller, and not a comedy. I.e. the parts that weren't suppose to be funny, really were because it was so out there and unrealistic...

I get the message behind the movie and the stereotypical form of racism they Peele was trying to hit on, but it was just cheesy as hell IMHO.

It felt like Peele was telling us he had a great message, so he could take his audience for granted. He set Chris up to be such an intelligent guy, then at the end he became a cliched dumb ass movie victim.

When Chris conveniently finds a box Rose stupidly left lying around of all her previous victims, and he still buys her act all the way down the steps and puts himself into obvious danger... like cmon.

He was way too smart not to see something nefarious was going on by that point.

I just think the critics and audience gave this movie way too much props based on its message, and ignored the very flawed delivery.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I just think the critics and audience gave this movie way too much props based on its message, and ignored the very flawed delivery.

To be honest I kind think its you who is focusing way too much on the "message". You are letting other people's obnoxious perspectives taint your own.

It was a tremendous, Twilight Zone style thriller with intermittent spurts of dark humour.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
The Post

Entertaining, but overall I kept thinking that the movie should've been called The Times instead and focused on the New York Times reporting instead of the Post's contributions. The movie essentially drives home the point that their impact on the story was relatively negligible, barring potentially getting support from other newspapers and possibly pushing the Supreme Court's hand on their decision in the Pentagon Papers case against the New York Times. Meryl Streep's storyline was essentially the only thing that The Post brought to the table that the Times wouldn't have, but at the cost of what I would believe to be far less intrigue and a far lesser impact on the overall tension of the situation as well.

Well acted and the newspaper printing sections were a joy to watch, but overall I don't think this will stick with me in any way. The final 10 or so minutes felt a bit ham-handed and sappy as well, so finished kind of weak. B-.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
To be honest I kind think its you who is focusing way too much on the "message". You are letting other people's obnoxious perspectives taint your own.

It was a tremendous, Twilight Zone style thriller with intermittent spurts of dark humour.

The message was the only thing that made any type of sense in the movie. Many reviews talk about this as a basis for their high marks...

If you totally ignore how silly the whole plot was, again, suddenly turning a character like Chris from an intelligent and observant individual into a total rube at the end, was lazy writing IMHO.

Nothing was really original in the film to set it apart and the best thing about it, Chris, was flip flopped around to move the plot into even more outrageous territory.

To each their own though.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
When Chris conveniently finds a box Rose stupidly left lying around of all her previous victims, and he still buys her act all the way down the steps and puts himself into obvious danger... like cmon.

See I interpreted that as, if he revealed to her that he knew, then he has no chance of leaving. If he just jumps out of a window and runs, he's screwed -- he has no idea where he is, no phone, and if he sticks to the road, they'll find him. He needs the keys to drive out of there. So he has to play it like he's still naive in the hopes that they keys reveal themselves in whatever context.

That aside, I liked Get Out enough, but I didn't love it like many have. Which I mean, hey, that's art.

Reactions: Pilky01

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Yeah I thought the reason Chris played dumb with the chick about the keys was kind of self-evident.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
See I interpreted that as, if he revealed to her that he knew, then he has no chance of leaving. If he just jumps out of a window and runs, he's screwed -- he has no idea where he is, no phone, and if he sticks to the road, they'll find him. He needs the keys to drive out of there. So he has to play it like he's still naive in the hopes that they keys reveal themselves in whatever context.

That aside, I liked Get Out enough, but I didn't love it like many have. Which I mean, hey, that's art.

There was no way he didn't know she was in on it at that point. Any other option he chose would have been better than walking himself right into a trap he clearly knew was coming by then. Letting on he knew and then trusting her was a total flip flop on the intelligence of his character.

It is what it is, but for the great reviews it got, I expected something much better. It did start off strong, but sadly went into cliche heaven the second half.

Last edited:

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri - 1.0 (Negative)
I mean sure, it's competently shot/edited, has half-way decent dialogue/performances, a structure and end-note that generally works/doesn't feel messy, and was pretty watchable, but it also felt like every aspect of it was unquestionably designed purely to be heavy-handed, ridiculously on the nose, and melodramatic Oscar bait that is built around hot topics and is only skin deep. Not something I aggressively hated, but I did also find it really obnoxious.

1. The Red Turtle - 3.5 (Great)
2. Get Out - 3.0 (Very Good)
3. Ladybird - 2.0 (Positive)

4. Blade Runner 2049 - 2.0 (Positive)
5. I, Daniel Blake - 1.5 (Neutral)
----
6. I Love You, Daddy - 1.0 (Negative)
7. Logan - 1.0 (Negative)
8. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri - 1.0 (Negative)
9. The Last Jedi - 0.5 (Bad)
10. Spiderman Homecoming - 0.5 (Bad)

Leaning towards watching a Kore-eda movie next. Slowly ramping down in accessibility, I guess. The last few movies I watched have only made me appreciate Get Out more, actually, so that might rise.
I didn't really notice any heavy handedness in three billboards, nor am I sure what you mean when you say it was on the nose

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri - C
Overall it was kind of boring. Also, I thought there would be a stronger moral outrage foundation for Frances' McDormand's character, but she and Sam Rockwell were both just unbelievable. It also seemed like there was an act or two of the story left out.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I didn't really notice any heavy handedness in three billboards, nor am I sure what you mean when you say it was on the nose
It felt like they just took a few hot-button-issues, batted a few one-dimensional cartoon characters around them to serve sappy melodramatic purposes, and then cheaply reversed the polarity of some of the characters back and forth in a vain attempt to humanize them and finger-wag the audience about not seeing things in such a black and white way. Even though they aren't actually treated like nuanced characters in the first place, they're just flipping back and forth from black to white or white to black.

I found it corny and contrived as hell.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
the-insult-ziad-doueiri.jpg

The Insult
(2017) Directed by Ziad Doueiri 6A

In The Insult, a dispute between a Palestinian labourer and a Lebanese auto mechanic over a simple water drain soon escalates into a conflict with national social and political implications. When neither individual will back down, the Lebanese courts are left to sort things out, but that doesn't make anything any the less complicated. While the movie borrows heavily from the works of Asghar Farhadi (A Separation, The Past, About Elly, A Salesman) in which relatively minor incidents often escalate out of control and take on a life of their own, I don't remember any of Farhadi's films being as didactic as this one is. Because The Insult clearly has a point it wants to make about the suffering and intransigence on all sides of the political spectrum in Lebanon, the development of the plot can seem like an ever more calculated balancing act as first one side of our sympathies is tweaked than another. But it's a pretty skillful tweaking. While our sympathies never stray far from the Palestinian guy, it is still made clear that the Lebanese guy's position is based not on raw prejudice so much as on events in the past that polarized his feelings for all time. While the notion that no side has a monopoly on suffering or on victimhood, for that matter, is a good point to make, I'm not sure the rather too neat resolution of this film would be as satisfying to all parties as it is portrayed here. Still, with its battling father/daughter attorneys right out of the Hollywood playbook, The Insult hums right along, fast moving and entertaining.

subtitles

Last edited:

Arizonan God

Jan 30, 2010
Toronto
Saw Hostiles tonight, and enjoyed it quite a bit. As is usually the case with Scott Cooper, the characters far outweigh the story, which was rather predictable and bland. However, the cinematography, acting, character development, great score from Max Richter, and well built tension left me with an overall positive opinion.

Last edited:

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
Den of Thieves
2.35 out of 4stars

Entertaining. A bit cliche ridden, but it's well paced and chock full of twists and tension. And Butler plays a standard "mixed cop role" well and with "charisma".

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
a few movies...

bladerunner: 3/5 the build up does not deserve that ending... everything feels rushed. u almost can throw every scene ford is in away.

jumanji: 1/5 i even like most of the actors who are in it. didnt expect much and still got disappointed, couldn't even watch it till end. its a marketing trick to rename that movie... it has very little to do with the original flair... that was jungle stuff spawning in our every day lives. its the complete opposite in this one, teenagers spawning in different bodys(characters like in games) in a jungle world. might as well give that movie its own name. that aside the comedy was ok but the action was lame... everything had "good guys win" written over it.

hell or high water:5/5 as a non american i feel like i learned a bit about texas lol... the atmosphere/environment/picture/co actors were great. the bond between the two brothers also was authentic and on top of that u have jeff bridges as texas ranger.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
the-insult-ziad-doueiri.jpg

The Insult
(2017) Directed by Ziad Doueiri 6A

In The Insult, a dispute between a Palestinian labourer and a Lebanese auto mechanic over a simple water drain soon escalates into a conflict with national social and political implications. When neither individual will back down, the Lebanese courts are left to sort things out, but that doesn't make anything any the less complicated. While the movie borrows heavily from the works of Asghar Farhadi (A Separation, The Past, About Elly, A Salesman) in which relatively minor incidents often escalate out of control and take on a life of their own, I don't remember any of Farhadi's films being as didactic as this one is. Because The Insult clearly has a point it wants to make about the suffering and intransigence on all sides of the political spectrum in Lebanon, the development of the plot can seem like an ever more calculated balancing act as first one side of our sympathies is tweaked than another. But it's a pretty skillful tweaking. While our sympathies never stray far from the Palestinian guy, it is still made clear that the Lebanese guy's position is based not on raw prejudice so much as on events in the past that polarized his feelings for all time. While the notion that no side has a monopoly on suffering or on victimhood, for that matter, is a good point to make, I'm not sure the rather too neat resolution of this film would be as satisfying to all parties as it is portrayed here. Still, with its battling father/daughter attorneys right out of the Hollywood playbook, The Insult hums right along, fast moving and entertaining.

subtitles

That is interesting that you rather enjoyed this one. While I understand the important message that the filmmakers want to convey, that neatness you mentioned is exactly what I have a problem with, because I find it to be downright unfeasible that the movie can solve the Palestinian question is 2 hours. Furthermore, the adversarial lawyer relationship takes me right out of the movie, because like a bad soap opera, it is an obvious and clumsy attempt to induce shock and surprise within the audience. Finally, the way the prosecuting lawyer's tone changed, from a bulldog determined to win, to someone who agrees and sympathizes with the whole case and is fine even if he loses, is just too much of stretch. Again, that is just a plot from a poorly written soap opera, and is just completely unrealistic.

That is why I have it no better than a 4. Personally, I think it is a bad movie, and I am rather baffled to the acclaim and nominations it has received.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
That is interesting that you rather enjoyed this one. While I understand the important message that the filmmakers want to convey, that neatness you mentioned is exactly what I have a problem with, because I find it to be downright unfeasible that the movie can solve the Palestinian question is 2 hours. Furthermore, the adversarial lawyer relationship takes me right out of the movie, because like a bad soap opera, it is an obvious and clumsy attempt to induce shock and surprise within the audience. Finally, the way the prosecuting lawyer's tone changed, from a bulldog determined to win, to someone who agrees and sympathizes with the whole case and is fine even if he loses, is just too much of stretch. Again, that is just a plot from a poorly written soap opera, and is just completely unrealistic.

That is why I have it no better than a 4. Personally, I think it is a bad movie, and I am rather baffled to the acclaim and nominations it has received.
While I don't disagree with most of your criticisms, I find them a little heavy handed given the The Insult's fairly modest ambitions. I don't think The Insult is intended as "serious" film making. And I don't think the movie offered a solution to the Palestinian question either. What it proffers was more in the nature of a gnarly platitude that is hard to disagree with: no single side in this conflict has a monopoly on grief, suffering or poor judgement. The Insult certainly does not have the artfulness of a Z or a No or a Talvar of a Paradise Now, political thrillers that told important stories and revealed political themes in memorably entertaining ways. The Insult is closer to a Missing or 12 Angry Men, melodramas on the side of the angels but with big messages in tow. As such, I thought the film delivered the goods adequately, thus the "6."

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I had to go out and watch some good movies that had been on my watchlist for a while to get the taste of that shitty 3 hour Serbian film Underground out of my mouth so I was on a roll:

The Revenant (2015) - 8/10

City of God (2002) - 9/10

Unforgiven (1992) -
8.5/10

Thor: Ragnarok (2017) - 8/10 (funnier than Get Out or The Big Sick)

All violent films unfortunately but I guess at the end of the day, violent films tend to entertain me when they're rated well by everyone else.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I've only seen 1 foreign film from 2015 but it doesn't seem like it was a particularly strong year for foreign films so I'll rank the ones from then I have seen now, still have a decent number on my watchlist but doubt any of it cracks the top 5, good year and I'd recommend all the stuff above the dashed line:

The Big Short
The Martian
The Revenant
Star Wars: The Force Awakens
Mistress America
The Lobster
The Hateful 8
Mad Max
The Hateful 8
Spotlight
Sicario
Grandma
Brooklyn
Ant-Man
The Intern (Robert DeNiro one)
Avengers: Ultron
Maggie's Plan
Spy
MI: Rogue Nations
Me, Earl, & The Dying Girl (I'm not as forgiving of that BS ending as others)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Carol
Mustang
Age of Adaline
Trainwreck
Anomalisa
Mr. Holmes

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
^ What didn't you like about the ending in Me and Earl and The Dying Girl? I ask not in an argument inducing manner, but out of genuine curiosity. I really liked that movie.

From that list of what I've seen, I probably enjoyed them as:

Brooklyn/Me and Earl and The Dying Girl
The Hateful Eight

Spotlight
The Revenant
The Martian /Ant Man
Spy

The top 3 I really liked, the next group were solid to okay for me.

Sicario is the only other one that I definitely want and plan on seeing.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I think this may have settled in as my favorite film of the 2000s.

I'm still marinating on City of God and Remember... these are two rare movies that weeks after I watch them, I'm still not sure how I feel about either.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
While I don't disagree with most of your criticisms, I find them a little heavy handed given the The Insult's fairly modest ambitions. I don't think The Insult is intended as "serious" film making. And I don't think the movie offered a solution to the Palestinian question either. What it proffers was more in the nature of a gnarly platitude that is hard to disagree with: no single side in this conflict has a monopoly on grief, suffering or poor judgement. The Insult certainly does not have the artfulness of a Z or a No or a Talvar of a Paradise Now, political thrillers that told important stories and revealed political themes in memorably entertaining ways. The Insult is closer to a Missing or 12 Angry Men, melodramas on the side of the angels but with big messages in tow. As such, I thought the film delivered the goods adequately, thus the "6."

That is fair kihei. It has big ambitions like you mention, but I ultimately find that it is just too big for the filmmakers to handle. I also do not think it is as well crafted as Missing or 12 Angry Man, which both kept my attention and made me think, but reviews are all subjective. Let us agree to disagree on this one.

If you are interested, try to find The Niles Hilton Incident. That is more comparable to Missing and 12 Angry Men, and I like that one a lot more, so I would love to hear what you think.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
^ What didn't you like about the ending in Me and Earl and The Dying Girl? I ask not in an argument inducing manner, but out of genuine curiosity. I really liked that movie.

He said emphatically that X is not going to happen TWICE and then X happened. There's being an unreliable narrator and then there's being a misleading lying shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->