Books: Last Book You Read and Rate It

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka - If humanity was ever to be brought before an intergalactic judge and asked to justify itself, I'd want The Metamorphosis to be brought to it as justification for the entire human race.

Last edited:

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Everyman by Philip Roth - Found the first quarter a bit bland but the book really takes off when Roth leaves his main character's childhood behind and delves into his elderly bitterness. The more bitter his character becomes, the better the book becomes as well and there's a particularly poignant scene where the main character almost commits accidental suicide which stirred me.

Reactions: stingo

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Also read some Kafka short stories. The Judgement is a phenomenal one.

A Propos of the Wet Snow by Fyodor Dostoyevsky.

The 2nd half of Notes from Underground. It's a masterpiece, both as a philosphical work and has a comedy. I loved the way the narrator consistently bemoaned his - always predicted in spite of himself - poor actions and delves deeply into his own inertia, cynicism and contradictions.

Favorite passage: The narrator talks of dreams of a lovely life with the prostitute Liza only for them to turn, as he puts it, " common and basic " and cause him to jeer at himself because of it. Had tears of laughter.

Last edited:

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Currently reading Lolita by Nabokov again. Hitting that lull where Humbert and Lolita are traveling around the country. Although I've read the ending again - numerous times - and it's masterful, particularly the murder of Clare Quilty. With that said, the book is a technical feat and Nabokov pulls a fantastic trick on his readers, but he has a terribly tendency to squeeze the life out of his story and suffocate his reader, instead of letting his words breathe.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Nemesis by Phillip Roth

A Greek Tragedy, with 1940 New Jersey Jews and polio. Like any good tragedy, you 100% know where this is going- but rather than imbuing impatience you're left a growing sense of horror at the sheer hopelessness, at the cruelty that the protagonist (an idealized stand in for the school yard instructor to a young Phillip, no doubt) in equal parts ignorance and intransigence, does nothing to avoid his fate. You want to reach through the pages and shriek, [redacted spoiler]. Like watching a train wreck in slow motion, or the 2018 Raps Cavs playoff series.

Last edited:
Reactions: Amerika

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Nemesis by Phillip Roth

A Greek Tragedy, with 1940 New Jersey Jews and polio. Like any good tragedy, you 100% know where this is going- but rather than imbuing impatience you're left a growing sense of horror at the sheer hopelessness, at the cruelty that the protagonist (an idealized stand in for the school yard instructor to a young Phillip, no doubt) in equal parts ignorance and intransigence, does nothing to avoid his fate. You want to reach through the pages and shriek, [redacted spoiler]. Like watching a train wreck in slow motion, or the 2018 Raps Cavs playoff series.
Ouch.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
What would peoples thoughts be on creating an HF board Book club? We pick a book for a month and then everyone discusses it at the end of the month. Thoughts?

GB

Mar 6, 2002
UK
We tried it before and read The Tin Drum. It died off after that but I'd be up for doing it again.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I say it is worth the shot! I don't even know where we would begin with selecting the book to read

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I'm in. I would suggest for consideration The Sheltering Sky by Paul Bowles or Three Day Road by Joseph Boyden.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I'm in. I would suggest for consideration The Sheltering Sky by Paul Bowles or Three Day Road by Joseph Boyden.

I'd be curious to try The Sheltering Sky once again, as I didn't get much out of it the first time and I'd been spurred to read it by this neat little novelette - The Education of Malika - that Bowles had written. How long would we have to read the selected books?

Edit: Nevermind, a month. I'm in.

Last edited:

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
I’d also be down to read The Sheltering Sky again. Great book.

I would be interested in doing a book club as well.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Any short story admirer should read A Report to an Academy by Franz Kafka. Call me overzealous, but if there's one writer who justifies literature to me it's him. How this man died unknown is one of literature's biggest mysteries to me. He very, very rarely missed in contrast to his literary aims. Even the non-understandable - to me - feels accesible and enthralling when I read him. A sparkling and borderline flawless diamond. If there's a crack in his work, it's barely noticeable.

Last edited:

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
How should we go about starting this? Seperate thread? Should we pick a start day? Thoughts?

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
The Stranger by Albert Camus (1942) - I’ll never tire of revisiting this one. It’s a beautiful work. While there is a lot going on philosophically, I love that the novel serves as a beautiful nod to the physical world and the life within it, the one that we can all feel, smell, touch, and kiss. Which I find also creates as interesting contrast - perhaps unintentionally - with the intellectual ideas presented in the book, which go well beyond the physical and offers insightful ponderations on the nature of men, justice, chance and absurdity (and finding meaning and happiness within it) and I feel that underneath it all, the message which I personally perceive and which resonates with me the most is that life, not worth living, is precisely why we should live it with unrepentant ardour and subsequently create happiness out of inherent nothingness.

The artistry of the The Stranger, even outside of its presented ideas, is, by itself, worth the price of admission. A lean prose filtered with dry humour, Camus creates cute characters (hell, even Raymond, in a weird way) who consistently show their humanity - in face of the lack of it - through understated and percutant ways, while the North African setting described by Camus feels vibrant and colourful and fully-realized through the minimalist but highly whimsical prose which makes one (or at least me) want to dive into a long, cool stream of water and swim peacefully, in quietness, with a small and tender smile on my face during a gentle and well-illuminated summer day.

Last edited:
Reactions: stingo and GB

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
How should we go about starting this? Seperate thread? Should we pick a start day? Thoughts?

I’d vote to keep it in here. In 14 months it has not even reached 12 pages and we’re only a handful of posters who regularly use it. I don’t think there’s any risk of it getting clogged up. With that said, if we decide to create another thread, we’ll only be wasting minimal bandwidth. So I’m cool either way.

Reactions: robertmac43

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I have not gone through the Sheltering Sky so would be 100p in for that

Any other suggestions?

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
As soon as I complete Bill Bruford's doctoral thesis on creativity and drum performance (challenging, to say the least), I'll reread The Sheltering Sky next and post a review. Anyone else on this thread who wants to do so as well can follow suit if they wish. Or even beat me to it as it will probably take close to a week for me to finish up the Bruford text.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
I’ll dig out the sheltering sky after I finish the one I am reading now. I’ll post back here with my thoughts.

I’ve also not read the little prince, so would be happy to read that after The sheltering sky .

Reactions: Amerika

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad