Last active guy for old franchises

chrispw1

Dec 5, 2015
At the bookstore, I saw a baseball almanac that had a section of last active guy to play for Milwaukee Braces, Washington Senators etc and got to thinking about who would have been the last active player for the old NHL teams, the ones I can think of

Minnesota North Stars Mike Modano
Original Winnipeg Jets Temu Selanne
Hartford Whalers I believe Chris Pronger
Quebec Nordiques Peter Forseberg I believe
Who would have been the last active guy for the Atlanta Flames, Oakland Seals, Cleveland Barons, Colorado Rockies, Kansas City Scouts

GJB

Dr. Hook
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2002
At the bookstore, I saw a baseball almanac that had a section of last active guy to play for Milwaukee Braces, Washington Senators etc and got to thinking about who would have been the last active player for the old NHL teams, the ones I can think of

Original Winnipeg Jets Teemu Selanne

Should be the still active Shane Doan

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
I think Giguere played in NHL longer than Pronger. Is Pronger still active :) ?

Was Forsberg actually last Nordiques? Would be surprised.

GJB

Dr. Hook
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2002
I think Giguere played in NHL longer than Pronger. Is Pronger still active :) ?

Was Forsberg actually last Nordiques? Would be surprised.

Yes I think it's JS Giguere for Hartford.

If we're talking last active in the NHL then yes I think it's Forsberg for Quebec. If you're talking last active in pro hockey then that's different.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yes I think it's JS Giguere for Hartford.

If we're talking last active in the NHL then yes I think it's Forsberg for Quebec. If you're talking last active in pro hockey then that's different.

Adam Foote and Peter Forsberg both played their last games in 10-11, but Foote played right until the end of the season while Forsberg only had a brief mid-season comeback.

Owen Nolan was the last Nordique to wear an NHL jersey, in the 2011-12 preseason for the Canucks.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Adam Foote and Peter Forsberg both played their last games in 10-11, but Foote played right until the end of the season while Forsberg only had a brief mid-season comeback.

Owen Nolan was the last Nordique to wear an NHL jersey, in the 2011-12 preseason for the Canucks.

Tim Thomas is the last (I believe) if you count draftees.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
in terms of last active players in the NHL(not last players drafted by)

mike modano-north stars
js giguere-whalers
shane doan-jets
adam foote-nordiques
joe cirella-rockies
dennis maruk-seals/barons
wilf paiement-scouts
kent nillson-atlanta flames

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Here is something interesting............going way back. I am pretty sure Syd Howe - who retired as the NHL's all-time leading scorer in 1946 that lasted one year - is the last Ottawa Senator, St. Louis Eagle and Philadelphia Quaker to play in the NHL. Although Flash Hollett was a Senator and played until 1946 as well. So unless I am wrong, Howe has an incredible trifecta of teams which whom he was the last to play for.

Ken Mosdell by my count is the last New York American to play in the NHL, officially retiring in 1958 - 16 years after the team folded.

Herb Cain - I think is the last Montreal Maroon. The team folded in 1938 and he played until 1946. Although King Clancy coached that year and was around for a long time afterwards, not as a player of course.

Reactions: SealsFan

ICM1970

Jan 29, 2012
Ottawa, ON
Rod Langway would have been the last of the 1970s Montreal Canadiens dynasty to retire, in addition to one of the last WHA players. I'd dare say that that honour goes to Mark Messier (last WHA player to pack it in).

ICM1970

Jan 29, 2012
Ottawa, ON
"Ken Mosdell by my count is the last New York American to play in the NHL, officially retiring in 1958 - 16 years after the team folded."

I believe Pat Egan was the last New York/Brooklyn American to play professionally, as one day I looked his playing records up and discovered that he was a playing coach for the one and only Jacksonville Rockets of the EHL in 1965-66 (23 years after the Americans folded). Did this as I have a Brooklyn Americans NHL heritage sweater with the number 2 on it and wanted to find out who wore that sweater on that team and found that it was Egan. This is in additon to, of course, coaching the Springfield Indians during the late 1950s, early 1960s period when ones like Brian Kilrea and a certain future coach of the Boston Bruins were among his players.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
"Ken Mosdell by my count is the last New York American to play in the NHL, officially retiring in 1958 - 16 years after the team folded."

I believe Pat Egan was the last New York/Brooklyn American to play professionally, as one day I looked his playing records up and discovered that he was a playing coach for the one and only Jacksonville Rockets of the EHL in 1965-66 (23 years after the Americans folded). Did this as I have a Brooklyn Americans NHL heritage sweater with the number 2 on it and wanted to find out who wore that sweater on that team and found that it was Egan. This is in additon to, of course, coaching the Springfield Indians during the late 1950s, early 1960s period when ones like Brian Kilrea and a certain future coach of the Boston Bruins were among his players.

All I can see is that he played until 1958-'59 professionally, which would beat Mosdell either way. They don't have his stats on hockeyreference.com from the 1960s. Maybe he was just a coach then?

ICM1970

Jan 29, 2012
Ottawa, ON
In 1958-59, Egan played 3 games with the Victoria Cougars of the WHL and in 1959-60, Mosdell played for the Montreal Royals of the EPHL. Egan still beats out Mosdell with his playing coach stint in 1965-66. However, you are right to point out that Mosdell was the last active NHLer who was a Brooklyn American as he played two games for the Canadiens in the 1959 playoffs. Egan had been a minor leaguer since the early 1950s and thus never was back in the NHL from that time onward. He began coaching in the late 1950s and was with the Indians until about 1964-65, and then went to Jacksonville for the player coach stint. Links for both men enclosed:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=11458

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=3819

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Just for fun, any predictions as to who will be the last Atlanta Thrasher still playing? It will take a while as it was only 2011. Evander Kane looks to have the best shot at it.

Also, just taking a wild guess that Joe Thornton is the last player that will have played in the 1990s.

Mark Recchi and Mike Modano both retired in 2011 and were the last to play in the 1980s I believe.

I could be wrong on this but Wayne Cashman and Serge Savard were the last players to have played in the original 6, both retiring in 1983. However, they played a combined 3 games in the original 6, but still.

Last edited:

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Just for fun, any predictions as to who will be the last Atlanta Thrasher still playing? It will take a while as it was only 2011. Evander Kane looks to have the best shot at it.

Also, just taking a wild guess that Joe Thornton is the last player that will have played in the 1990s.

Mark Recchi and Mike Modano both retired in 2011 and were the last to play in the 1980s I believe.

I could be wrong on this but Wayne Cashman and Serge Savard were the last players to have played in the original 6, both retiring in 1983. However, they played a combined 3 games in the original 6, but still.

it'll either be kane or little. i'm going to go with little

last player to have played in the 90s, i'll say thornton but never rule out jagr :D

GJB

Dr. Hook
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2002

I would guess Bogosian or Bryan Little. I think Kane will fizzle out early IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad