Las Vegas 1st Captain

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Can you make a goalie the captain anymore?

I thought they changed the rules since they can't really hang out around the ref crease.

This is 100% true - no goalies can wear a C. However, I do see him as the "unofficial C", as I think he's probably the Knights best player. I'd sort of think of it as analogous to Lundquvist for the Rangers.

Of course, that's assuming Fleury has leadership qualities, and I (along with probably pretty much everyone else here) have no insight to that one way or another. There's a lot that goes into being a leader that fans will never see...and a lot of very good players would never want to be captain either in name or in function.

I sort of feel like Neal would be the most natural C...but I think there's a lot to be said for bypassing the C, having an extra A, and doing "leadership by committee" for the first year while everything's being sorted out.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
yeah i really hope they don't give neal the C. not a good way to start things off

methot should get it

wingsfan17

Jan 20, 2008
Fan opinions about Neal aside, he's a great leader, hard worker, and teammates love him. A 30 year old vet who was alternate captain for a team that just made the finals, and clearly the biggest name/best career numbers outside of Fleury. If he doesn't get it I think it's because they know he's gone at the deadline, other than that I would think he's one of the leading candidates.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
I do think they will go with three alternates to start it out, but also take Neal aside and tell him that they are really counting on him.

A - Neal
A - Methot
A - Perron/Sbisa

Haula needs to compete every night to get a letter. I might hold him to higher standards when it comes to workrate though as he is a finn.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I can't picture Neal in a leadership role. He's a doofy guy with a short temper, I'm sure he'll be liked in the locker room, but by all accounts he's not a rah-rah guy nor does he set an exemplary example on the ice to follow.

Engelland, on the other hand...I can't imagine that he doesn't wear the C for at least part of the season. Bellemare is also a solid candidate.

Fleury will be beloved in the locker room, but goalies can't wear the C and they can't fulfill the on-ice aspect of having a letter anyway.

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
I suspect by end of the day Methot might not be on the roster. He is undoubtedly one of the players teams are trying to get as we speak.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I can't picture Neal in a leadership role. He's a doofy guy with a short temper, I'm sure he'll be liked in the locker room, but by all accounts he's not a rah-rah guy nor does he set an exemplary example on the ice to follow.

Engelland, on the other hand...I can't imagine that he doesn't wear the C for at least part of the season. Bellemare is also a solid candidate.

Fleury will be beloved in the locker room, but goalies can't wear the C and they can't fulfill the on-ice aspect of having a letter anyway.

Aside from some unfortunate dives, Neal has largely cleaned up his act in Nashville. Seemed pretty comfortable with the A here when it easily could have been 4-5 other guys with it.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
I would love to see Methot get it and I think he would be a good choice, but yeah, he might not be around by September.

Butanic

May 29, 2017
Calgary
Flames fan stopping by. While Engelland may not be the most skilled, he works hard every night and is not afraid to stand up big time for his teammates. He deserves an A at least, although a C would not be unwarranted. Though, I can't imagine he'll be in the league much longer, so if he does get the C it'll probably just be for the year.

Puckrobber

Backup Netminder
Feb 28, 2016
Central Oklahoma
I agree with giving it to Engelland. Tough guy, very vocal, warrior on the ice. Plus, being a local boy, he would also help with community relations. The fans will love him. :yo:

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Flames fan stopping by. While Engelland may not be the most skilled, he works hard every night and is not afraid to stand up big time for his teammates. He deserves an A at least, although a C would not be unwarranted. Though, I can't imagine he'll be in the league much longer, so if he does get the C it'll probably just be for the year.

Has Engelland ever played 4th line wing?

pled

Sep 7, 2009
Engelland and bellemare should get a A but the C will go to Neal or maybe a vet captain from free agent

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad