Larry Brooks Rumors Nashville Problems

Seth Lake

Jun 28, 2005
Nashville, TN
I find myself rooting for Nashville more than most of the Western Conference teams. They're a pretty likable team and I'm looking forward to Vokoun coming back for your sake and for my fantasy hockey team.
I think many of the same reasons you find yourself rooting for Nashville are many of the same reasons I have become a PredHead.

It was great knowing that I was moving back to an NHL city when I first found out I was leaving CT. It was even better knowing that I was moving to an NHL expansion city that was not around when the Whalers left so there was no history between the two teams and certainly they were a team on the rise.

The Predators are built very similiar to how the Whalers were always built...through the draft and shrewd, yet not major, free agent signings. They were an underdog team that was dedicated to putting a winning product on the ice (not always the case during the final years of the Whalers) and had/have a roster full of young players that I have/will get to enjoy watching develop into solid NHL'ers (hopefully).

They are a team that was built the "right way". They have not upset too many fanbases yet and their main rivals are those that we as Whalers fans didn't really have any alligences towards or against.

I think the Predators are a team that is easy to cheer for if you don't already have a team to align yourself with. I'm sure there are plenty of people that hate the Predators for whatever reason and I'm fine with that...but I have a feeling that there are a lot of people outside of Nashville that root for them too.

Re: Vokoun...

Mason has been playing very well during Vokoun's absence, but it will be great to have our franchise netminder back in goal and our 1a goalie back on the bench to give him a breather here and there.

Reminds me a lot of the final season when the Whalers started out so strong, but struggled when Burke broke his thumb on his blocker hand. Giguere made his very shaky NHL debut vs. Boston on Jan. 2nd (I remember because the tickets were a Christmas gift) and allowed three goals prior to Muzzatti bailing him out. Muzzatti played very admirably during his time in goal, but it was clear that he was not a No. 1 goalie and his struggles dropped the Whalers quickly down the standings. Thankfully that has not been the case during Vokoun's absence...although it must suck for fantasy.

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
You can't be serious that the move of the Nords from Quebec to Colorado, a team that has sold out practically every game played in Denver, hasn't been a benefit to the NHL.

Well, yeah, but when's the last time it snowed in Denver, huh?

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Well, yeah, but when's the last time it snowed in Denver, huh?
:lol:

Bunch of babies, they get 20-30 inches of snow in a day and have it chased by winds of 40-50 mph and think they have to close the city and cancel a game. :sarcasm:

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
This would ordinarily be okay; however, I have it on good authority that Gary Bettman ordered it to snow in Denver, both last week and this week.

And Sidney Crosby did nothing to prevent this.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
You know what? I didn't believe brooks at first, but someone told me that the Predators are going DOOR TO DOOR TO SELL TICKETS... all of a sudden, I believe him now.

Man, that's pretty pathetic if you ask me I don't even see minor league baseball teams doing that.

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005
Maybe Boom Boom's grandson will help sell the game there, being a Tennessee native and all, although I doubt anyone there knows who Boom Boom Geoffrion was.

Once again, one of the biggest problems with hockey gaining acceptance is the certain number of people who don't seem to want new fans to accept it.

Your condescending attitude towards potential new fans is a wonderful exhibit of this. Well-done.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Once again, one of the biggest problems with hockey gaining acceptance is the certain number of people who don't seem to want new fans to accept it.

Your condescending attitude towards potential new fans is a wonderful exhibit of this. Well-done.

This isn't a generalization, the majority of people down there would rather watch NASCAR, and surveys and tv ratings have showed it to be true.

He's not the problem, it's just putting a hockey team in a poor market for hockey that is the problem. Bettman overexpanded into the WRONG territories. He's lucky San Jose has worked out the way it has.

Edit: Gil Stein* is lucky San Jose has worked out the way it has.

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005
He's not the problem, it's just putting a hockey team in a poor market for hockey that is the problem.

I firmly believe that there are no poor markets for hockey. It's a great game and people need exposure to it in order to find that out.

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
This isn't a generalization, the majority of people down there would rather watch NASCAR, and surveys and tv ratings have showed it to be true.

He's not the problem, it's just putting a hockey team in a poor market for hockey that is the problem. Bettman overexpanded into the WRONG territories. He's lucky San Jose has worked out the way it has.

Edit: Gil Stein* is lucky San Jose has worked out the way it has.
No, people like you and Kinbote who go around spouting condescending stereotypes are the problem.

Transported Upstater

:lol:

Bunch of babies, they get 20-30 inches of snow in a day and have it chased by winds of 40-50 mph and think they have to close the city and cancel a game. :sarcasm:

Off topic, but Denver really doesn't get nearly the amount of snowfall that people think it does. :)

But the recent storm(s) were a problem, and would be for almost any city.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
You know what? I didn't believe brooks at first, but someone told me that the Predators are going DOOR TO DOOR TO SELL TICKETS... all of a sudden, I believe him now.

Man, that's pretty pathetic if you ask me I don't even see minor league baseball teams doing that.

I think someone is lying to you. I've never heard of that, even as derisive stereotypes were being thrown around to tear down hockey in Nashville.

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
I think someone is lying to you. I've never heard of that, even as derisive stereotypes were being thrown around to tear down hockey in Nashville.

Even worse than the door to door thing is the fact that all funds from ticket sales go directly to terrorist organizations. Fans of Nashville are clearly supporting terrorism and I believe they must be stopped.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Even worse than the door to door thing is the fact that all funds from ticket sales go directly to terrorist organizations. Fans of Nashville are clearly supporting terrorism and I believe they must be stopped.

Well, understand, Barry Trotz himself is a demonic entity. You'll notice that he has no neck...and do you wonder why? He was beheaded by villagers in medieval times, after being caught reciting horrific incantations over the livestock and turning the water in the well into blood. His minions later exhumed his body and retrieved his head, which was foolishly left unburned, and placed his head back upon his now neckless body, instantly re-animating him.

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
Well, understand, Barry Trotz himself is a demonic entity. You'll notice that he has no neck...and do you wonder why? He was beheaded by villagers in medieval times, after being caught reciting horrific incantations over the livestock and turning the water in the well into blood. His minions later exhumed his body and retrieved his head, which was foolishly left unburned, and placed his head back upon his now neckless body, instantly re-animating him.

On the bright side, he didn't invent the trap.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
He and his minions did all this under the direction of the true master of evil in the known universe Gary Bettman!!!

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site

Hahahaha, that's pretty rich. So a dishonest writer pens a senseless article that's anything but hard and true fact AND a random person in your life says something equally as unbelievable, you put two and two together to affirm both farfetched tales? That, my friend, is the recipe for success in life. I want to try this on for size with some other crazy rumors. I'd love to see what I'd be able to get you to believe. ;)

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville

That's right up there with the rumor from Winnipeg a few years ago the the Preds were computer generating fans, moving people to one side of the arena, or using cardboard cutout people to make the arena attendance look better on TV.:biglaugh:
Of course what can you expect from city that is talking player bake sales as a revenue source (Winnipeg not Nashville).

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
Well if the climate change keeps up, Detroit will be considered a Southern city, since it doesn't snow here either.

Most of those great lakes cities are feeling the impact of warmer waters. I know buffalo has had a mild winter thus far, can someone in Toronto tell us how it has been?

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
I guess that guy has to have had a little truth to his "BS" about the door to door. Obviously I believed it because the guy is from Nashville and I seen him post it on a football forum a few weeks ago.

Now I just went on the Preds official message board and look at this...

I just had a Chuck Wade from Exel Marketing (think I spelled it right) come to the door and offered
seats on the glass for 40 dollars a pair.
We bought ten to stick people we know on the ice. We got into
a conversation about several areas of concern. They are going business to business and said it is taking
off. He said he is sending a list of companies to our e-mail of companies not supporting the preds for
even one game. We explained this info may help the big fans not support these companies and even
better we can harrass them with e-mails and spread the word. He said the Preds are not going anywhere
and they are pouring tons of money into expanding the fan base, including door to door. He said there
were many people who didn't even know there was a pro hockey team here and have bought tickets to
games. No truth to the Kansas City rumor. Big concern over attendance, but the Preds are attacking the
problem instead of whining about it. This organization has spent money and given us the best team
possible in this market and now, since the press doesn't spread the news, they are hiring people to go
door to door. Again, I call on the loyal 10,000 pred fans to step up and drag people to the games. After
a few games they will be hooked. The team is awesome, the fans are the best people in the world, and
the owner and management have put their butts on the line and answered for every decision. Call the
Preds and ask how you can help. Call into the radio station and complain about coverage by the Tennessean. Ask the companies you frequent if they support the preds and if they don't, find one that does
and let the old company know. They aren't asking for companies to go broke helping, just show support
in any way they can. Me and the wife are both teachers and he put us in contact with a person who is
going to help us excite the kids and families there about our team. I have never had a pro team send
someone to my door, and even if it sounds desperate, I kinda like the southern, small town effort shown
by this scheme. Should the Preds have to do this? No, but we are not a hockey market and until they are
I am glad they are trying it. If he does send the list of big companies who won't support the Preds, I will
post it. I would hope some of you who spend half the day in these boards would spend a little bit of it
contacting those companies which you spend money at and letting them know why you won't be going back.
Heck, people boycott frickin tuna and clothing to save dolphins and animals. We can do the same to
help our boys in blue. If my grammar or spelling stinks......I teach math...lol

http://boards.nashvillepredators.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4872&hl=

Whalerfan11

Feb 28, 2006
If he does send the list of big companies who won't support the Preds, I will post it. I would hope some of you who spend half the day in these boards would spend a little bit of it contacting those companies which you spend money at and letting them know why you won't be going back.

Maybe it's just me but I don't like this tactic. If you need to go door to door to try to boost up ticket sales that's fine. But to boycott companies because they aren't "supporting" the team is unnecessary. It's not like they are doing anything wrong at all. They are making a business decision not to buy tickets and they have every right to do that.

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
Maybe it's just me but I don't like this tactic. If you need to go door to door to try to boost up ticket sales that's fine. But to boycott companies because they aren't "supporting" the team is unnecessary. It's not like they are doing anything wrong at all. They are making a business decision not to buy tickets and they have every right to do that.

Yes, it's a business decision not to buy tickets from the Predators. But isn't it a business decision not to support such companies? It's a two-way street. Companies have the right not to purchase tickets from the Predators. And Predator fans have the right to not purchase products and services from their company. Isn't that what having 'rights' in commerce is all about?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->