Larry Brooks is clueless

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The same Larry Brooks who predicted the NHLPA would never accept a cap.Can't be.Don't blame Larry for being confused.He is a child of liberal 1960's working for Rupert Murdoch ;)

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Wait, does Brooks really expect owners to give players ~1.05B next year even if the real revenues are 1.3-1.5B??

Man that's stupid, even by Brooks' very low standards.

NHLPA should hire a better PR-person, Brooks is only making them look even dumber.

Then again, no sane person would want to be the mouthpiece of such a losing organisation as NHLPA.

NYIsles1*

Because if the league truly wanted to create cause for debate within the union, if it wanted an agreement at anything other than on its own dictated terms, it would be offering 58 percent of the gross against a revenue guarantee of at least $1.8B for next season — and with meaningful revenue-sharing — instead of the same deal the PA has been rejecting for a year.

If this is Goodenow's terms forget hockey for another year. Brooks has a future job as a p.r person for the NHLPA.

How badly can New York use a credible hockey writer...

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I realize that everyone who has an opinion in this fiasco favours one side or the other, but Larry Brooks is an absolute moron, with no objectivity whatsoever...but then again, how can he be objective when the upper third of his body is up Goodenow'$ a$$....

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
NYIsles1 said:
Because if the league truly wanted to create cause for debate within the union, if it wanted an agreement at anything other than on its own dictated terms, it would be offering 58 percent of the gross against a revenue guarantee of at least $1.8B for next season — and with meaningful revenue-sharing — instead of the same deal the PA has been rejecting for a year.

If this is Goodenow's terms forget hockey for another year. Brooks has a future job as a p.r person for the NHLPA.

How badly can New York use a credible hockey writer...

Alan Hahn had a pretty interesting piece the today.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/print...5,0,4817705,print.column?coll=ny-sports-print

nyrmessier011

Feb 9, 2005
Charlotte/NYC
While the whole $1.8 billion based thing is nuts, 56,57,58% is what it's going to take to get a deal. I think if they guaranteed the players around 57% like other leagues then there will be a season. They just have to get off 54% which I hope they will a little.

Boilers*

Bahgdad Brooks always at the ready with another fabrication for the mighty PA.

Sammy*

nyrmessier011 said:
While the whole $1.8 billion based thing is nuts, 56,57,58% is what it's going to take to get a deal. I think if they guaranteed the players around 57% like other leagues then there will be a season. They just have to get off 54% which I hope they will a little.
The problem is those other leagues have way higher gross revenues , hence they can offer a higher percentage revenues than the NHL. Assuming for a moment that the NHL & NBA have similar fixed costs (I would say the NHL is alot worse cause way more travel), there is no way the NHL can offer the same percentage cause their revenues are way less so their fixed costs eat up a way higher %.

blamebettman*

It means that Bob Goodenow remains in firm control of the PA despite league attempts to create friction and doubt within the rank-and-file through its floated messages to media and blogging mouthpieces.

he seems to be exactly right, and alot of the anti-nhlpa people here seems to have fallen for it. How is Hahns piece interesting, he's just another anti goodenow shill making stuff up. there is crap like that written every day by people who hate the NHLPA, it exactly what you guys want to hear, but none of what they write seems to come true.

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
blamebettman said:
he seems to be exactly right, and alot of the anti-nhlpa people here seems to have fallen for it. How is Hahns piece interesting, he's just another anti goodenow shill making stuff up. there is crap like that written every day by people who hate the NHLPA, it exactly what you guys want to hear, but none of what they write seems to come true.
hard to say if there's a story there or not - same as brook's -

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
Sammy said:
The problem is those other leagues have way higher gross revenues , hence they can offer a higher percentage revenues than the NHL. Assuming for a moment that the NHL & NBA have similar fixed costs (I would say the NHL is alot worse cause way more travel), there is no way the NHL can offer the same percentage cause their revenues are way less so their fixed costs eat up a way higher %.
well, thats why the PA offered indexing, so that the % could grow with the leagues ability to pay the higher rate.

seems you advocate the clause 7.

dr

Sammy*

DR said:
well, thats why the PA offered indexing, so that the % could grow with the leagues ability to pay the higher rate.

dr
Imagine that! The PA is prepared to share in any upside. :biglaugh:
On a more serious note, the problem is the initial %. They cant offer the same % that the other leagues do cause they dont have the same revenue.
BTW, does the PA index offer include less % if revenues go down (please, no rhetoric, just the answer)?

Lanny MacDonald*

DR said:

dr

Indexing is a joke. Why should the players get more money if the revenues go up and not take a hit if revenues go down? A 54% cut at any level is fair and is stable. WTF is wrong with that? If the players seriously want to make more money they should take the 54% and the 50% on profits above $115 million. They assume some risk (pro PA types will now bury their heads in the sand) but have a huge opportunity to make huge sums of money well above their existing earnings. This whole thing makes no sense.

I can see why this concept would not make it to the NHLPA membership though. Goodenow has never been one to be a forward thinker. He has a single strategy and that is waiting. He refuses to accept responsibility nor risk. He is like the proverbial parasite and attaches himself to the body and sucks as much nutrient as he can until waiting for the host to die. Add in the agents, more parasites, who would only get chunks of the contracts negotiated and likely not share in profit sharing, and its easy to see why concepts like this would never fly. The easy money is more important and requires less work, so why actually work for even greater riches when you can suck the life blood out of those you advise the game they play? This whole thing is just becoming more and more pathetic as the days pass.

:shakehead

Brent Burns Beard