Lanxess arena

Jeb99

Apr 26, 2014
Jönköping
Hello alles.

I am thinking of going to Cologne to see a few games of whc next year. I am currently looking for tickets and been trying to get an idea of what the arena is like.

Is there anyone here who knows where the home teams offensive side is at normally? ( meaning in period 1 and 3)

Where are the best seats located?

It looks like there are seats where you would be standing up on one of the short sides is this where the home fans normally is at? So I don't buy a ticket to swe ger and end up in the middle of the pit ;)

Where would be the best to stay in Cologne if I would like to have close to the arena and downtown/centre of town?

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
Lanxess Arena is one of the biggest and most modern arenas in Germany. There are just two sections with standing room -- 201 and 211 (behind each net). Cologne's direction of attack in periods 1 and 3 is section 211.

Unfortunately, I can't tell you if that will be the same at the World Championship. Like, I have no clue at all. You should probably try to contact someone there to find out.

All I can suggest is that you don't get seats in the upper bowl (sections 6** and 7**) because it's really hard to follow the game from up there.

mkev400

Jul 21, 2016
All I can suggest is that you don't get seats in the upper bowl (sections 6** and 7**) because it's really hard to follow the game from up there.

Ah now, as a Mannheim Fan Ive watched many a games upstairs in the section six, and I can only say, that while you may seem a little far away at first, you can follow the games from there very very well. Section 7 is a different story though. Saw the Finals against Berlin from up there once and it was a packed house. Im sure the surrounding football fans that had nothing better to do than play the hooligans at a hockey game in the same section helped it, but the experience up there wasnt great. View is okish, but Id recommend tier six, if you are stuck with upper bowl.

Jeb99

Apr 26, 2014
Jönköping
Thanks everyone for your answers.

Managed to get some tickets last week. 1 of the days will be in the upper bowl (710) but managed to get the rest of the tickets at a good seat.

I was wondering though if anyone could tell how to get from the main station (hbf) to lanxess arena? It looks like it would be pretty close when looking at the map. Also, is there like day passes or similar for bus tram or underground?

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Thanks everyone for your answers.

Managed to get some tickets last week. 1 of the days will be in the upper bowl (710) but managed to get the rest of the tickets at a good seat.

I was wondering though if anyone could tell how to get from the main station (hbf) to lanxess arena? It looks like it would be pretty close when looking at the map. Also, is there like day passes or similar for bus tram or underground?

A friend who visited Lanxess Arena last season told me if you arrive at the main station it would be best to take the city train (S-Bahn) S11 (other lines might go there, too) to the station Bahnhof Deutz/Messe Lanxess Arena. Once you are there it should only be a short walk to the arena.

There are definitely day passes (Tagesticket) available, but I am not sure which one would be the correct one for you. There is also a chance that your ticket for the game could be used as a ticket for transportation starting at 4 hours before the game. If so it should say so on the ticket.

Maybe somebody more familiar with local travel in Köln can give more accurate information.

Jeb99

Apr 26, 2014
Jönköping
That's right. I was also wondering about the arenas facility too.

One of many things that were good with the O2 Arena in Prague was that you never had to queue for anything. No queues for the toilet, no queues for food or beer. What is it usually like in Cologne? It should be added that in Prague it was still a lot of people in the arena. Sometimes packed (18,000 spectators)
Moreover, in Sweden it is not allowed to bring drinks or food in the audience area, what is it like in Germany?

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
One of many things that were good with the O2 Arena in Prague was that you never had to queue for anything. No queues for the toilet, no queues for food or beer. What is it usually like in Cologne?
You should definitely expect some queues if the games are well attended. Not brutally long ones, but a little wait is pretty standard.

Moreover, in Sweden it is not allowed to bring drinks or food in the audience area, what is it like in Germany?
I mean, it probably depends on what the IIHF negotiates with LanxessArena, but the absolute standard is no drinks/food from outside the arena.

Hope you have a great time here! :)

Jeb99

Apr 26, 2014
Jönköping
You should definitely expect some queues if the games are well attended. Not brutally long ones, but a little wait is pretty standard.

I mean, it probably depends on what the IIHF negotiates with LanxessArena, but the absolute standard is no drinks/food from outside the arena.

Hope you have a great time here! :)

Hello.

I did not mean food from outside the arena but food or drinks from the bar at the arena.

In Sweden it is only possible to order beer at the bar and it is not allowed to bring it to the spectator area and drink it there. In Prague they sold beer everywhere and it was easy to order from the stands and have the beer there.

Thanks. Gonna be a good one!

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
I did not mean food from outside the arena but food or drinks from the bar at the arena.

In Sweden it is only possible to order beer at the bar and it is not allowed to bring it to the spectator area and drink it there. In Prague they sold beer everywhere and it was easy to order from the stands and have the beer there.

Ah, now I get it. :) You can definitely eat/drink anywhere. Usually, there's guys walking around selling beer, as well, but that'll be up to the IIHF, I suppose.

e45trdtdhfththf

Dec 8, 2015
Yep. I've never attended a game in Cologne outside the DEL season but you shouldn't worry about beer and food. As Vipers31 said above, you'll get it everywhere inside the place. And you're absolutely allowed to get and consume it at your seat.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
A friend who visited Lanxess Arena last season told me if you arrive at the main station it would be best to take the city train (S-Bahn) S11 (other lines might go there, too) to the station Bahnhof Deutz/Messe Lanxess Arena. Once you are there it should only be a short walk to the arena.

There are definitely day passes (Tagesticket) available, but I am not sure which one would be the correct one for you. There is also a chance that your ticket for the game could be used as a ticket for transportation starting at 4 hours before the game. If so it should say so on the ticket.

Maybe somebody more familiar with local travel in Köln can give more accurate information.

Normally for sporting events you can ride the KVB for free. Many people "black ride" anyways, especially when it's busy.

Don't take an S-Bahn from Hbf unless you have to... but it's dumb because none of the U-Bahn @ Hbf go directly to the arena (1, 9, 3, or 4). You could take 16/18 to Neumarkt and switch there to 1/3/4.

Lanxess is very near to the Bahnhof Deutz/Messe which is just across the river from Koeln Hbf. You could literally walk across the bridge to the arena (2km)

Yeah. I don't like the upper deck. There is also a stupid metal rail which obstructs the view for most of the lower seats in the upper deck.

OP I would recommend to stay near Frisenplatz (U-Bahn 3/4 to arena, 5 to Hbf, 12/15 around the ring). It's near the center, the ring, Ehrenfeld, lots of restaurants, and not as touristy. Kind of the same for Neumarkt or Barbarossaplatz where there are hostels, hotels, lots of good entertainment, and transportation options.

Enjoy Cologne, I will be volunteering. :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad