News Article: Lander to KHL

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Wow. Didn't think the Oilers and Anton would find something that worked. But for him to goto KHL, a bit surprising to me. Thought he'd try with another NHL team before leaving.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
Agreed isnt signed! Rumor from Russia but i think they talk to him, not only Ak-bars!

Lander a true warrior, a normal guy hadnt stayed so long trying fullfill their dream!

No surprise if he bolts to Khl but a sudden intrest from another Nhl team would perhaps change his mind!

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I can't think of a player that got as many chances in Edmonton as Lander does.

Well, other than Schultz.

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
He probably looks for another one way NHL deal, and if that doesn't happen, it's KHL time. The guy has nothing to prove and nothing to gain by another year in the AHL on a 2 way deal.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Shocked no other NHL team gave him a shot.
Like what would Arizona have to lose if they acquired him for futures at the deadline to finish out the season?

Best of luck Anton, go rip it up then come back to Etown a new player in a few seasons!

It's kind of surprising that Montreal didn't ask for him in the Desharnais trade. I'm sure we would've thrown him in for a 6th rounder or whatever. They do lack a bit of depth down the middle -- especially with Gally going back to the wing for the foreseeable future. But I guess it's more important to keep him around to help with JPs development in Bako than a 6th rounder.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Good for him it's where he belongs. Too good for the American League not good enough to be a top 9 regular in the show. Probably a middle six forward in Russia. I bet he thrives.

Yeah, I think he will thrive. I liken it to the Patrick Thoresen situation. Patrick was a pretty skilled player who was too good for the AHL but not quite good enough to be a top 9 player in the NHL. So he went to the KHL and ripped it up for a good 5 or 6 seasons. In fact, in Patrick's first season in the KHL he played on a team and line with Radulov, and almost scored as many points as him. He was (and still is) quite a skilled player. Now I think he's in the Swiss league, and he's ripping that up, too. I think Lander will do the same.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
He will do well in the KHL and maybe get a chance with another NHL team in a year or two. Needs a fresh start elsewhere.

Bastulon

Jul 11, 2014
Canada
As someone who follows the KHL he's going to do realllllly well over there, he'll be back in a few years. Now find a way to get us Sobotka, Chia

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I like Lander, from everything I've heard of him he seems to be a good guy, I think that he does all the small things right and was an effective enough defensive forward, but the fact of the matter is that NHL level forwards on all 4 lines are required to be point producers to some extent in today's league, and Lander's offense simply never translated unless he was on a line with Taylor Hall.

I wish Lander the best and I appreciate everything he's done for the Barons, but quite simply there's no room on the roster for someone who literally puts up single digit point totals in the NHL unless centering an all-star.

... so he actually put up single digits with Hall, 4 A and Lander/Hall only contected on 1 out of those A's.

The other 16 pts in 13/14 had nothing to do with Hall.

Before people start yelling at me about sample size and what-not, I am in no way excusing or justifying anything. I am just pointing out, for the nth time, that the Lander only ever produced with Hall story is fiction. We aren't talking opinions here, these are verifyable facts.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I am not surprised to see him leave though, saddened but not surprised. I did not think he would be going to the KHL though.

I would like to see his own comments or some other confirmation of this news though.

Alawishis

...so anyway.
Mar 12, 2008
Sherwood Park
Good luck Anton where ever your skates land. Thanks for the time you spent with us and the hard work you put in for the fans, both for the Oilers and Condors.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I'm surprised he couldn't fins a job somewhere as a 4th liner. Maybe he just needs a bigger role.

He came as close as humanly possible to making a career under Nelson and at the WC that one year/half year.

Too bad.

Not sure why anyone is surprised at this point. He could've been had for free on waivers or I'm pretty sure PC would've taken another center that could at the very least gave stability to Bakersfield for next year.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
WTF??? Lander can't even negotiate with a KHL team while he is under contract with the Oilers(and they can qualify him)
Pretty sure he has to be one of the playoff call ups as well(IMO), or he could tear up the AHL playoffs and generate interest from oh, say LV who look to have great options on defense but very little for forwards.
I highly doubt this is anywhere near a done deal

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
WTF??? Lander can't even negotiate with a KHL team while he is under contract with the Oilers(and they can qualify him)
Pretty sure he has to be one of the playoff call ups as well(IMO), or he could tear up the AHL playoffs and generate interest from oh, say LV who look to have great options on defense but very little for forwards.
I highly doubt this is anywhere near a done deal

IIRC I don't think anything prevents a player with negotiating with the KHL while under contract. He can leave to wherever he wants after his deal is up with the Oilers, qualifier or not. The Oilers would merely retain his NHL rights. The source was the same fellow who broke Yakupovs trade request and is reliable.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
Deleting some negative posts - this thread should be a Lander appreciation thread. He's served the team as well as he could, was never able to permanently transfer his AHL offense to the big club. His support skills were top notch, however.

Last edited:

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
If he has another multi point game tonight the Oilers need to call him up. Give him one last chance to prove his worth.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Yet still was only able to produce points in a very narrow time span in his career, and other than that was a black hole offensively.

People are treating this as if it's some kind of huge loss, lol. There are dozens of better fringe NHL centers out there (and no I'm not going to provide a list, I'm going off of the fact that no team had interest in him, even when free). Aside from the fact that he could win some FOs and that he was a good PKer, he brought nothing to the table. While our PK right now does need some help, no matter who you're taking out of the lineup for Lander (especially if it's another center), they are a more complete player than him. Our center depth has pushed him out of the realm of call-up. Even if a center gets injured, Drai can center his own line and then you have 4 Cs again and you bring up one of wingers into the lineup. The only argument would be Hendricks, imo - but its seems as though McLellan likes Hendo for bringing leadership and energy to the team.

Teams lose fringe NHLers all the time, this isn't a big deal. Good for Anton for deciding he's got to move on. He'll do well in the lesser leagues of the world, as proven by his time in the AHL.

Are we just so starved for something to ***** about that we are up in arms about losing Anton ****ing Lander? I'd rather have the Hall/Larsson argument again for the nth time than see people get upset about Lander.

Well it is a loss. When we are up the cap and Letestu is asking for too much, there's always Lander who can slot right in.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Well it is a loss. When we are up the cap and Letestu is asking for too much, there's always Lander who can slot right in.
I wonder what Lander could do on the PP with Draisaitl, Lucic, Klefbom, and McDavid?

Oh well, I'll admit that he didn't do enough with his chances but the Oilers also ruined his development....**** YOU EAKINS

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Its not just Eakins though.. The last time he was called up we set him up to fail by playing him on 4th line wing and not having him on PK.

He averaged 9min\game in those 6 games and took 15 faceoffs total before getting shipped back down for good.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Honestly, McLellan's always struck me as someone who was never a big fan of Lander's game. Too slow to be an effective 3rd line C, and not abrasive enough to play for McLellan as his 4th line C.

If Lander's ever going to make an NHL career for himself, it'll be somewhere else.

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
Surprised he isn't giving it one more year with another team being added to the league. But imagine he resisted the idea of him giving up on the NHL dream far more than any of us and still came to that conclusion.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Incredibly disappointed if he leaves. Both for the Oilers and the league. Was a solid draft pick that I honestly thought was cant miss. Figured he would be in the nhl for a long time.

Baffled how some guys just cant translate thier game to the NHL.

Cagullia is a guy that will actually surprise me if he sticks in the nhl. Think Lander, if given the same opportunities this year would have been better. Or at least as good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->