News Article: Lander to KHL

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Nice to see he'll be one of the most highly paid foreign players in that league.

I think he'll be a superstar in the KHL like most AHL stars are in the KHL.

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
Can't blame him. Would have never made it on the Oil.

Kind of sucks because he was very productive in the AHL. Probably a boost to our young players.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Good for him. Hope he excels. Will be nice for him to be in a more permanent spot in his life and be closer to his family.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Perfectly fine. This guy was riding the bus in the AHL as an older guy, but one who was probably the best player in the league. His NHL future was slim to none as Khaira/Cagguila were prioritized over him.

KHL is a good fit. Hell probably be one of better players in that league, make more money and get the luxuries of playing in that pro league (better schedule, flights, more recognition)

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Edmonton's loss

Great on the dot, great on PK and lighting it up offensively in the AHL.

IMO he is everything Desharnais and then some more if utilized properly.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Good for him. Not sure why he didn't get more playing time this year but either way, smart career move for him. Wish him the best of luck in the KHL.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Better option on the Oilers than Caggiula and Hendricks, but I'm happy he's going where he will be appreciated

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Good for him. Not sure why he didn't get more playing time this year but either way, smart career move for him. Wish him the best of luck in the KHL.

I think getting passed over on the waivers was a huge blow for him.. That was unexpected. The guy is too good for the AHL and should be on an NHL team right now.

0ilerman

The King
Mar 17, 2008
Capital City
Can't say I followed the Condors closely, but I wonder how close Lander got with Puljujarvi. I know they played together and racked up some points, but you'd have to think as a veteran from a similar part of the world, that he might have mentored Jesse in some ways

Still DRAI

Jun 15, 2013
Edmonton's loss

Great on the dot, great on PK and lighting it up offensively in the AHL.

IMO he is everything Desharnais and then some more if utilized properly.

I like Lander, from everything I've heard of him he seems to be a good guy, I think that he does all the small things right and was an effective enough defensive forward, but the fact of the matter is that NHL level forwards on all 4 lines are required to be point producers to some extent in today's league, and Lander's offense simply never translated unless he was on a line with Taylor Hall.

I wish Lander the best and I appreciate everything he's done for the Barons, but quite simply there's no room on the roster for someone who literally puts up single digit point totals in the NHL unless centering an all-star.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I think getting passed over on the waivers was a huge blow for him.. That was unexpected. The guy is too good for the AHL and should be on an NHL team right now.

There has been 3 years of him ripping up the AHL and probably every team was aware of him. Id say that we were likely shopping him or had him available ot get any asset for him but no team bit because they didnt figure he was a NHL player. He never got a 1 way deal from any team and no team traded for him. Not to mention 3 different coaches didnt figure him to be an NHLer. Only Nelson did and Lander had his success in the NHL only under him

I do agree Lander probably should be in the Nhl over Cagguila/Hendricks, but now its about development of younger players who have a longer future here and more upside. So have to prioritize Khaira this year and Cagguila next

Tough to say whether he should be in the NHL. But at this point I think we are looking at a pure 4th liner and pretty replaceable player

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
It'd be interesting to see what he could make of the same opportunities that Desharnais is being gifted right now but I guess we'll never know. I also think the way he was handled in his rookie and sophomore year has come home to roost. Lordie the damage that clutch of managerial ninkompoops did is hard to comprehend let alone calculate.

OneMoreAstronaut

Reduce chainsaw size
May 3, 2003
Lander just ran out of chances. You have to be able to do more than win faceoffs to stick in the NHL. I wish him a ton of luck overseas though.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
It really surprised me that not a single team thought Lander was worthy of a waiver claim. In the right situation I think he could've made it in the NHL, but it never worked out.

He seems like a great kid, I sincerely hope things turn out for the best and he eventually gives the NHL another shot. I'll be very curious to see how his game translates to the KHL, while it's definitely a step down from the NHL IMO it's a faster skating league than the AHL, and skating's never been a strength of his. It's not terrible, but certainly not good enough at the NHL level to allow his offense to translate.

I imagine this is going to severely impact Bakersfield's playoff hopes, losing their best forward at such a critical juncture...and it'll very likely sewer Puljujarvi's effectiveness as he seemed to rely heavily on Lander's presence in order to generate offense.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I imagine this is going to severely impact Bakersfield's playoff hopes, losing their best forward at such a critical juncture...and it'll very likely sewer Puljujarvi's effectiveness as he seemed to rely heavily on Lander's presence in order to generate offense.

I dont think he is leaving BAK right away.. or is he?
His KHL deal doesnt start til next season I think.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Well as long as he stays for the rest of the year to play with JP I have no problem with it.

I wish him all the best, and I think he will be a top 10 scorer in that league within a few seasons

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
Always thought he'd become at least a proper bottom 6 center. Guess he'll flourish in the KHL, good luck, Anton.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton

he's very good in the AHL and wasn't quite good enough for the NHL.

Best of luck to him overseas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad